SDL Trados 2007 doesn't work with Windows 10: what now?
Autor wątku: Pompeo Lattanzi
Pompeo Lattanzi
Pompeo Lattanzi
Włochy
Local time: 01:16
angielski > włoski
+ ...
Oct 2, 2015

I have the 2007 Trados Freelance suite. I am not particularly happy with it, but there is much worse going around, so I do use it quite regularly. I do not feel the need to update to the newer versions, since I do not believe improvements can be substantial (I am interested only in the basic translation job, I don't need super-duper functions I'll never use) and also at the tariffs we can get in the EN-IT pair, it would entail working for months just to pay for the tool. So, I would be content t... See more
I have the 2007 Trados Freelance suite. I am not particularly happy with it, but there is much worse going around, so I do use it quite regularly. I do not feel the need to update to the newer versions, since I do not believe improvements can be substantial (I am interested only in the basic translation job, I don't need super-duper functions I'll never use) and also at the tariffs we can get in the EN-IT pair, it would entail working for months just to pay for the tool. So, I would be content to just chug along, but Microsoft threw the proverbial spanner in the works: Windows 10.
I would prefer updating the OS of my PC, but SDL states its 2007 does NOT work with 10.
What is your esteemed advice? Should I lay down the cash and update Trados or simply switch to other (free!) CATs which I find practically equivalent? Frankly, I know I am a diffident grouch, I am no computer boffin and I believe CATs help very little in actual translating, but I very much value the advice experienced people can give. Yours would be welcome.
Collapse

Elías Sauza
Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Meksyk
Local time: 17:16
Członek ProZ.com
od 2002

angielski > hiszpański
+ ...
Try it Oct 2, 2015

I have recently updated to Windows 2010, and as I read your message, I just completed a translation with Trados 2007. I also updated to Office 2013. I'm not sure what your case is, but both work perfectly. When Trados Studio 2009 appeared, I was reluctant to update because Trados Workbench was my favourite CAT tool. Now I have Trados 2014 and I realize how much I was missing for not updating.

HTH

Jenae Spry
Jenae Spry  Identity Verified
USA
Local time: 16:16
francuski > angielski
Why Trados? Oct 4, 2015

Why are so dedicated to using Trados? Do you have a client that requires it? If not, there are plenty of other tools available now as well. Regardless, I'm honestly amazed that there are still drivers and support for programs from so long ago. If not this year, then you will have to soon upgrade or buy a new tool. Do your research and be sure you're picking the one that works for you.

ghislandi
ghislandi  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:16
angielski > włoski
Studio 2015 Oct 6, 2015

I am from SDL - we don't support it and there are certainly issues but I have seen people using it in Windows 10.

The alternative from us is to upgrade to SDL Trados Studio 2015 which is compatible with Windows 10.

Here is a
... See more
I am from SDL - we don't support it and there are certainly issues but I have seen people using it in Windows 10.

The alternative from us is to upgrade to SDL Trados Studio 2015 which is compatible with Windows 10.

Here is a summary of the new features
http://www.translationzone.com/products/sdl-trados-studio/freelance/whats-new.html

And a video on Studio:

http://www.translationzone.com/video/2015-how-to-translate-a-document-with-studio-2015-10-minute-video/84899/

Kind regards
Massi
Collapse

ORSZAGH Technologies Ltd
ORSZAGH Technologies Ltd
Cypr
Local time: 02:16
czeski > słowacki
+ ...
Well Nov 12, 2015

Elías Sauza wrote:

I have recently updated to Windows 2010, and as I read your message, I just completed a translation with Trados 2007. I also updated to Office 2013. I'm not sure what your case is, but both work perfectly. When Trados Studio 2009 appeared, I was reluctant to update because Trados Workbench was my favourite CAT tool. Now I have Trados 2014 and I realize how much I was missing for not updating.

HTH

but compared with 2007 you are loosing in some ways, too, e.g. on the less favorable analysis results (it can be tens of percent compared with version 2007 depending on the project). As usual, every coin has two sides

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

hiszpański > niderlandzki
+ ...
Possible solution Nov 12, 2015

Pompeo Lattanzi wrote:

I have the 2007 Trados Freelance suite. I am not particularly happy with it, but there is much worse going around, so I do use it quite regularly. I do not feel the need to update to the newer versions, since I do not believe improvements can be substantial (I am interested only in the basic translation job, I don't need super-duper functions I'll never use) and also at the tariffs we can get in the EN-IT pair, it would entail working for months just to pay for the tool. So, I would be content to just chug along, but Microsoft threw the proverbial spanner in the works: Windows 10.
I would prefer updating the OS of my PC, but SDL states its 2007 does NOT work with 10.
What is your esteemed advice? Should I lay down the cash and update Trados or simply switch to other (free!) CATs which I find practically equivalent? Frankly, I know I am a diffident grouch, I am no computer boffin and I believe CATs help very little in actual translating, but I very much value the advice experienced people can give. Yours would be welcome.

I don't think that Windows 10 is the problem, but your Microsoft Office package. Trados 2007 works fine till Word/Excel 2003, after that it is tears and disaster. If you work with Windows 10 (I still don't), I presume you also got a newer Office version too. Try to reinstall 2003 (if possible on Windows 10????), and your problems are solved. I never tried, but it could be a solution (wild guess?).

[Edited at 2015-11-12 23:12 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-11-12 23:14 GMT]

ORSZAGH Technologies Ltd
ORSZAGH Technologies Ltd
Cypr
Local time: 02:16
czeski > słowacki
+ ...
There are other Word-based tools compatible with T2007 that are still actively supported Mar 22, 2016

e.g. Wordfast Classic (https://www.wordfast.net/) or Metatexis for Word (http://www.metatexis.com/), so in case you prefer to have a full control over the translated content (including the source) along with the VBA environment to automate tasks, there are still alternatives. T2007 should however work fine, too.

Anthony Kehoe
Anthony Kehoe  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:16
japoński > angielski
Trados or bust Sep 23, 2016

Jenae Spry wrote:

Why are so dedicated to using Trados? Do you have a client that requires it? If not, there are plenty of other tools available now as well. Regardless, I'm honestly amazed that there are still drivers and support for programs from so long ago. If not this year, then you will have to soon upgrade or buy a new tool. Do your research and be sure you're picking the one that works for you.

Yes. I have one client that insists that I return MSWord dirty files to them. I asked what if I update to Trados 2016, which is incompatible with the older formats, and was told that if I could not supply them with the dirty files they would not send me any more work.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Hiszpania
Członek ProZ.com
od 2004

hiszpański > angielski
No problem Sep 23, 2016

Kimpatsu wrote:

what if I update to Trados 2016, which is incompatible with the older formats, and was told that if I could not supply them with the dirty files they would not send me any more work.

That's not quite right. I'm not sure which version you're talking about (there's no such thing as Trados 2016), but Studio 2014/2015 and soon 2017 all work with Workbench files (simply import the bilingual file).
If you're starting with a source docx file and translate it in Studio using the Studio format (sdlxliff), then you can download the legacy app Legit to convert the sdlxliff to ttx or Workbench format.
http://appstore.sdl.com/app/sdl-legit/299/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDL Trados 2007 doesn't work with Windows 10: what now?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »