Hans Lenting
Holandia
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

niemiecki > niderlandzki
May 27

Hi team,

Can we have Markdown tables?

And while we’re at it: a feature to insert links via a button.

Thanks in advance!

[Edited at 2024-05-27 16:10 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugalia
Local time: 12:50
duński > angielski
+ ...
Link May 27

Here is a link to your profile.

What is your definition of a markup table? Do you mean the ability to use the html <table> tag?

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Holandia
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

niemiecki > niderlandzki
NOWY TEMAT
Corrected May 27

Sorry, not up but down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markdown

[Edited at 2024-05-27 18:11 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Portugalia
duński > angielski
+ ...
Thanks May 27

Thanks for giving us the lowdown on markdown.

This notation doesn't look any simpler to me than the basic html tags allowed, but of course 'easy' always means what you already know.

But at a time when many site functions are already broken and emails and notifications regularly go AWOL, I'm not sure it's a good idea to add more features.

To insert a link and make it look nice:

<a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markdown">Markdown</
... See more
Thanks for giving us the lowdown on markdown.

This notation doesn't look any simpler to me than the basic html tags allowed, but of course 'easy' always means what you already know.

But at a time when many site functions are already broken and emails and notifications regularly go AWOL, I'm not sure it's a good idea to add more features.

To insert a link and make it look nice:

<a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markdown">Markdown</a>

More advanced: make it open in a new tab:
<a href="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markdown" target="_blank">Markdown</a>

[Edited at 2024-05-27 16:44 GMT]
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Holandia
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

niemiecki > niderlandzki
NOWY TEMAT
Request May 27

Markdown notation:

| Feature | Pastey | CotranslatorAI |
| ----------- | ----------- | ----------- |
| One | Two | Three |
| Four | Five | Six |

Rendered table:

Screen Shot 2024-05-27 at 20.33.58

[Edited at 2024-05-27 18:35 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Portugalia
duński > angielski
+ ...
HTML table May 27

Right, if you meant 'HTML table', then unfortunately the allowed tags don't allow it. A possible explanation is that they use HTML tables for the forum page layout, so a badly tagged post could potentially mess up the whole page if they don't have a table tag checker (which shouldn't be too difficult to implement, I guess).

The only thing you can do for now is to post it as an image, which is not ideal.

You could do some fancy stuff with Blockquote and CSS to simulate a
... See more
Right, if you meant 'HTML table', then unfortunately the allowed tags don't allow it. A possible explanation is that they use HTML tables for the forum page layout, so a badly tagged post could potentially mess up the whole page if they don't have a table tag checker (which shouldn't be too difficult to implement, I guess).

The only thing you can do for now is to post it as an image, which is not ideal.

You could do some fancy stuff with Blockquote and CSS to simulate a table, but it would only be useful for a handful of CSS nerds, and the layout might be distorted on a smaller screen.

This is probably not high priority for Proz right in the middle of their coding migration with bugs all over the place.
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Holandia
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

niemiecki > niderlandzki
NOWY TEMAT
I'm all for Markdown May 28

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Markdown tables would be the solution here too.

This is probably not high priority for Proz right in the middle of their coding migration with bugs all over the place.

I still hope that they'll add Markdown compatibility to the forum editor. Using double * for bold and especially single * for lists is just so much simpler.

https://rawgit.com/fletcher/human-markdown-reference/master/index.html

Dan Lucas

Thomas T. Frost
Portugalia
duński > angielski
+ ...
Simplest May 28

The simplest solution in the short term would be to allow the Table tag and simply check that for every <table> tag, there is a </table> tag.

In the longer term, a more modern solution would be a Word-style WYSIWYG interface.

But I don't think they have time to read this.

[Edited at 2024-05-28 11:41 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatorzy tego forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Markdown tables

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »