MA in translation via distance learning?
Autor wątku: Markus Heinr (X)
Markus Heinr (X)
Markus Heinr (X)
niemiecki > angielski
Aug 10, 2010

Does anyone know of any Masters programs in translation within Europe? preferably ones that could be done via distance learning?

I would be very happy for a response

Thank you

Stuart Dowell
Stuart Dowell  Identity Verified
Polska
Local time: 00:59
Członek ProZ.com
od 2007

polski > angielski
+ ...
Portsmouth University Aug 10, 2010

Portsmouth University has a distance course.

Karen Stokes
Karen Stokes  Identity Verified
Wielka Brytania
Local time: 23:59
Członek ProZ.com
od 2003

francuski > angielski
City University (London) Aug 10, 2010

City University's MA programmes are partly based on distance learning, partly on attendance. I'm just finishing a two-year MA in legal translation that's involved attending for four intensive four-day blocks a year, with the rest of the work done at home, which has made it possible for a quite a lot of the students to come from abroad and schedule chunks of time in London. I think the legal programme is also being offered as a one-year course in the next academic year. They also offer a programm... See more
City University's MA programmes are partly based on distance learning, partly on attendance. I'm just finishing a two-year MA in legal translation that's involved attending for four intensive four-day blocks a year, with the rest of the work done at home, which has made it possible for a quite a lot of the students to come from abroad and schedule chunks of time in London. I think the legal programme is also being offered as a one-year course in the next academic year. They also offer a programme in audiovisual translation but that involves weekly attendance. See http://www.city.ac.uk/translation/

Best,

Karen
Collapse

Spencer Allman
Spencer Allman
Wielka Brytania
Local time: 23:59
fiński > angielski
University of Birmingham Aug 10, 2010

I can recommend them - I am a tutor (and a graduate)

Christine Schmit (X)
Christine Schmit (X)  Identity Verified
Luksemburg
niemiecki > francuski
+ ...
List of distance learning programs Aug 10, 2010

I published a list of distance learning programs in translation a while ago on my blog. There are a few MAs by distance learning in Europe for the most common language pairs.
You can find it here http://www.polyglot-blog.com/2008/12/29/distance-learning-courses-for-translators-and-interpreters/
Good luck and best regards,
... See more
I published a list of distance learning programs in translation a while ago on my blog. There are a few MAs by distance learning in Europe for the most common language pairs.
You can find it here http://www.polyglot-blog.com/2008/12/29/distance-learning-courses-for-translators-and-interpreters/
Good luck and best regards,

Christine
Collapse

Markus Heinr (X)
Markus Heinr (X)
niemiecki > angielski
NOWY TEMAT
Is a BA always necessary? Aug 11, 2010

Thank you for all the comments, they are very helpful. Do any of you by any chance know if a BA is always necessary to get into an MA? I am only really starting out, but i have translated for a while, and i hold several qualifications, though not a BA. Those of you who have done an MA via distance learning, what is the work load like? And the assignments etc. Thank you again
Oh, by the way, i already looked into the Portsmou
... See more
Thank you for all the comments, they are very helpful. Do any of you by any chance know if a BA is always necessary to get into an MA? I am only really starting out, but i have translated for a while, and i hold several qualifications, though not a BA. Those of you who have done an MA via distance learning, what is the work load like? And the assignments etc. Thank you again
Oh, by the way, i already looked into the Portsmouth MA. Has anyone done it?
Collapse

Markus Heinr (X)
Markus Heinr (X)
niemiecki > angielski
NOWY TEMAT
Entry requirements in Birmingham? Aug 12, 2010

Hi Spencer,

Do you by any chance know if a BA is a prerequisite to get into the MA in Birmingham?
The University of Portsmouth says they assess each candidate and a BA is not always necessary. DCU in Dublin say the same thing. Have you as a tutor ever had a student without a BA?

Richard Delaney FCIL CL
Richard Delaney FCIL CL
Niemcy
Local time: 00:59
niemiecki > angielski
Entry requirements Aug 25, 2010

Hi Xirod,

I teach on the MA Legal Translation Karen mentioned above. Generally we do expect applicants to have a good first degree, but we do look at the individual circumstances of each applicant. So if you feel that you have qualifications and work experience that would be equivalent to a BA level qualification, it may be worth applying (if that is an area of translation that interests you). That said, as the course starts next week, it's pushing it a bit for this year.

... See more
Hi Xirod,

I teach on the MA Legal Translation Karen mentioned above. Generally we do expect applicants to have a good first degree, but we do look at the individual circumstances of each applicant. So if you feel that you have qualifications and work experience that would be equivalent to a BA level qualification, it may be worth applying (if that is an area of translation that interests you). That said, as the course starts next week, it's pushing it a bit for this year.

All the best,

Richard
Collapse

Arianne Farah
Arianne Farah  Identity Verified
Kanada
Local time: 18:59
Członek ProZ.com
od 2008

angielski > francuski
I'm registered at UWE Aug 26, 2010

Classes start in a month. Registration was back in June though, so as others said, for the 2010-2011 year, you might be too late. Can't hurt to try though!

My criteria for choosing UWE were:

1) Established Uni with a good reputation (not a fly by night diploma mill)
2) Masters program (not certificate or other degree)
3) Could be completed 100% through distance learning (I'm in China)
... See more
Classes start in a month. Registration was back in June though, so as others said, for the 2010-2011 year, you might be too late. Can't hurt to try though!

My criteria for choosing UWE were:

1) Established Uni with a good reputation (not a fly by night diploma mill)
2) Masters program (not certificate or other degree)
3) Could be completed 100% through distance learning (I'm in China)

If you have any questions you can get back to me in 3-6 months and I'll be in a better position to answer them!

Cheers
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Tajlandia
Local time: 05:59
angielski > tajski
+ ...
Effectiveness Aug 26, 2010

I passed many distance learning programs. In former days, they were correspondence course with limited schoolings. I got top marks to graduate but now their educational essence is not much attractive: lost of face to face contact in classroom environment. I wish I can attend those courses again, under near learning processes!

Soonthon Lupkitaro

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MA in translation via distance learning?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »