WordFast and Sharing Translation Memory
Autor wątku: thevettergroup
thevettergroup
thevettergroup
Local time: 11:36
angielski
+ ...
Aug 19, 2008

I have looked around but have not found any sufficient answers. While TRADOS is the industry standard, we see a lot of value in WordFast. It is easy to use which is important for our Translators. TRADOS is also is a bit byzantine and does not run under Mac, where WordFast is cross-platform. Having said all of this, we want to host our own WordFast translation memory on our Linux server. Windows Server is an option as well. The reason is to share the translation memory with multiple freelan... See more
I have looked around but have not found any sufficient answers. While TRADOS is the industry standard, we see a lot of value in WordFast. It is easy to use which is important for our Translators. TRADOS is also is a bit byzantine and does not run under Mac, where WordFast is cross-platform. Having said all of this, we want to host our own WordFast translation memory on our Linux server. Windows Server is an option as well. The reason is to share the translation memory with multiple freelance translators at any given time.

I know WordFast offers their VLTM, and one can set up workgroups, but in our copy of WordFast (latest), the VLTM option is missing. With that, I would like to also hear from those who have used the VLTM in WordFast.
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turcja
Local time: 18:36
angielski > turecki
+ ...
industry standard? Aug 19, 2008

thevettergroup wrote:

While TRADOS is the industry standard, we see a lot of value in WordFast. It is easy to use which is important for our Translators. TRADOS is also is a bit byzantine and does not run under Mac, where WordFast is cross-platform.

First of all, Trados is not the industry standard. In fact, no CAT is industry standard!
IMO, the only thing one can claim is that Trados (or any other CAT tool) is the industry leader, but even then there is no proof for it. In Yahoo Groups, Trados has 4738 members and Wordfast has 5692 members.

A search in ProZ.com directory in your working pair (English to French) gives the following numbers:
Trados users 3187
Wordfast users 1505

I know these numbers can be misleading, they do not represent the sales figures or the actual numbers of the users/owners of these CAT tools. But in any case Trados is not the industry standard, and never will be.

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
Local time: 17:36
niemiecki > francuski
+ ...
Wordfast Server Aug 19, 2008

thevettergroup wrote:

I know WordFast offers their VLTM, and one can set up workgroups, but in our copy of WordFast (latest), the VLTM option is missing.

Did You install Wordfast Server ? It's something apart from Wordfast itself :

Quoting the Wordfast Server manual :

"Extract (unzip) all the files in WfServer.zip into the folder where winword.exe is located. This is the C:\Program files\Microsoft Office\Office folder in a typical Ms-Office installation. In case of doubt, use Windows' file search utility (Windows key + F) to locate winword.exe. One other possibility is to use Ms-Word's Tools/Options dialog box, then "Default folders" and locate the "Tools" folder - this is where winword.exe is found.

The files that are necessary to run WfServer are WfRelay.dll and WfServer.exe. These two files should reside in the same folder as winword.exe.

Wordfast version 5.50 or higher must be installed as per the Wordfast manual specification. You must have a valid Wordfast license to run WfServer locally. You do not need a license to use the remote VLTM service, whether it is used in read-only mode, or in "workgroup" read-write mode. A license, if needed, can be purchased from www.wordfast.net."

I tried the server and it works. Just to say I did it for myself (single user) not in a workgroup.

Regards,

Olivier

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Hiszpania
Local time: 17:36
niemiecki > hiszpański
Attention!! Aug 19, 2008

If you pretend to use Wordfast in a Mac.

The new Office version 2008 doesn't support VBA anymore. So Wordfast has no chance, cause it is a VBA macro.

Regards

Fernando

www.lenguatik.com

[Edited at 2008-08-19 09:33]

thekidRMIT
thekidRMIT
Local time: 22:36
angielski > wietnamski
Sharing through LAN or internet? Oct 14, 2008

I have problem with sharing TM
In the "translation memory" we have button sharing TM but I do not know how to enable this feature. I find more information but what I get just the VLTM which sharing through internet. I wonder if wordfast just work through Lan and internet or just work internet

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WordFast and Sharing Translation Memory

Pastey
Your smart companion app

Pastey is an innovative desktop application that bridges the gap between human expertise and artificial intelligence. With intuitive keyboard shortcuts, Pastey transforms your source text into AI-powered draft translations.

Find out more »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »