Abraham Abukar  Identity Verified
USA
Local time: 11:40
Członek ProZ.com
od 2005

angielski > somalijski
+ ...
Sep 26, 2008

This topic may have already being covered.

Do you create a New Translation Memory (TM) (WfMemory) for each time
you start a new translation or a new project? or you just select TM that is active?

Any response are greatly appreciated!

Roy Williams
Roy Williams  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 17:40
niemiecki > angielski
Either/or Sep 26, 2008

The last TM you used is automatically active when you start a new translation so you don't have to select it. You can use the same TM for every translation or you can create a new one if, for example, you want to have a TM for each customer. Or If you want to have subject specific TMs. In any case you don't have to create new TM for each translation.

Karen Stokes
Karen Stokes  Identity Verified
Wielka Brytania
Local time: 16:40
Członek ProZ.com
od 2003

francuski > angielski
Select the memory you need Sep 26, 2008

Hi Abraham,

It depends on how you organise your memories. Some people use one big memory for all clients and all projects, so you would keep re-using that one. I tend to have one per client, so I would select the one for that client. If you have lots and lots of unrelated projects then I guess you would create a new TM for each one, but then you would be losing a lot of the benefit of working with a TM. If you were to use a new TM for a new project (but for an existing client) then
... See more
Hi Abraham,

It depends on how you organise your memories. Some people use one big memory for all clients and all projects, so you would keep re-using that one. I tend to have one per client, so I would select the one for that client. If you have lots and lots of unrelated projects then I guess you would create a new TM for each one, but then you would be losing a lot of the benefit of working with a TM. If you were to use a new TM for a new project (but for an existing client) then you wouldn't have access to all your previous translations for that client, so it wouldn't be all that useful.

Hope I've understood your question properly!

Best,

Karen
Collapse

Dragomir Kovacevic (X)
Dragomir Kovacevic (X)  Identity Verified
Włochy
Local time: 17:40
włoski > serbski
+ ...
it is preferable... Sep 26, 2008

to create a new tm for each translation project, since some small modifications of the final translation text, proposed or requested by the client, or by the proof-reader, can force you to ammend the translation and the tm. so that is much easier to correct a smaller tm from the project, than a larger memory.
for the local project memory, you can also set identifiers, like: company name, sector, ecc., which will accompany the segments in future work

d

Abraham Abukar wrote:

This topic may have already being covered.

Do you create a New Translation Memory (TM) (WfMemory) for each time
you start a new translation or a new project? or you just select TM that is active?

Any response are greatly appreciated!

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Tajlandia
Local time: 22:40
angielski > tajski
+ ...
Using filters Sep 26, 2008

By using filters to your TM, you can use one big TM for many projects/clients. You can export specific TU out of TM into a smaller TM.

Regards,
SL

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Hiszpania
Local time: 16:40
Członek ProZ.com
od 2007

angielski
+ ...
Tip from the mouth of 'Mr Wordfast' himself Sep 26, 2008

At a WF workshop earlier this year Yves Champollion recommended that you keep separate TMs as seems fit (by client, project, language area etc), but also to create (and periodically update and reorganise) a big TM that contains all your TUs. You then open the small one as the main one to be updated, but also reference the big TM in read-only mode. In this way you get the best of both worlds - only the right TUs for this particular project or client get put into that TM, but you also get matche... See more
At a WF workshop earlier this year Yves Champollion recommended that you keep separate TMs as seems fit (by client, project, language area etc), but also to create (and periodically update and reorganise) a big TM that contains all your TUs. You then open the small one as the main one to be updated, but also reference the big TM in read-only mode. In this way you get the best of both worlds - only the right TUs for this particular project or client get put into that TM, but you also get matches for segments already translated in other TMs.

[Edited at 2008-09-26 09:45]
Collapse

Abraham Abukar
USA
Członek ProZ.com
od 2005

angielski > somalijski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Expressing my gratitude Sep 26, 2008

The responses I received were all helpful and
I am very grateful.

Abraham Abukar
USA
Członek ProZ.com
od 2005

angielski > somalijski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Yes, you did. Thank you! Sep 26, 2008

Karen Stokes wrote:

Hi Abraham,

It depends on how you organise your memories. Some people use one big memory for all clients and all projects, so you would keep re-using that one. I tend to have one per client, so I would select the one for that client. If you have lots and lots of unrelated projects then I guess you would create a new TM for each one, but then you would be losing a lot of the benefit of working with a TM. If you were to use a new TM for a new project (but for an existing client) then you wouldn't have access to all your previous translations for that client, so it wouldn't be all that useful.

Hope I've understood your question properly!

Best,

Karen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

(TM) WfMemory

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Pastey
Your smart companion app

Pastey is an innovative desktop application that bridges the gap between human expertise and artificial intelligence. With intuitive keyboard shortcuts, Pastey transforms your source text into AI-powered draft translations.

Find out more »