Anna Muntean Stacanova
Anna Muntean Stacanova
USA
Local time: 20:01
rosyjski > angielski
+ ...
Mar 28, 2009

Hello!

Please help me with this Wordfast problem. WheneverI try to add new term to the created glossary the window pops out that says that the tterminology ... txt file is locked or shared.

How can I unlock it?

Thank you so much!

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
Francja
Local time: 02:01
francuski > angielski
Start a new glossary Mar 30, 2009

Maybe your glossary got corrupted ... try copying/pasting your terms into a new txt file and see if it works better with the new glossary.

Otherwise, switch to another/newer version of WFC, there are some versions with known glossary problems - maybe you have a glossary unfriendly version.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraina
angielski > rosyjski
+ ...
you may also try Mar 31, 2009

Are you working with the same language pair?
Check your HDD for errs and then
1) Check Indexing service status (it often locks files for a 'quicker search')
2) Check file attributes and access rights (NTFS permissions)
3) Antivirus/ protection software can intercept/scan/lock files etc

Most likely, the TM is being shared through a network, or in two simultaneous Word sessions, or the previous translation session was not terminated properly. Do not service a TM currently used through network. If you're not networking, close Ms-Word. With your disc Explorer, find the folder where the translation memory is, and delete the translation memory file that has the ".net" extension - and only this file.

The glossary is a file too, so just duplicate/rename it whatever you want and re-assign.
Hope it helps. Cheers.

Wordfast problem> glossary is locked or shared. Aug 10, 2011

Hi,
Can anyone help me with this problem?

Every time I want to translate something using wordfast, a dialogue box appears telling me that "...glossary is locked or shared". I read the thread on this issue (as someone else seems to have the same problem) but l I am not a computer genius so if any kind spirit can tell me how to solve this issue in layman's terms I will be ever so gratefu!!

Cheers,
Mechi

PS: I have wordfast version 5.2

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:01
fiński > francuski
Versions of Windows and Wordfast? Aug 10, 2011

Anna Muntean Stacanova wrote:
Please help me with this Wordfast problem. Whenever I try to add new term to the created glossary the window pops out that says that the terminology ... txt file is locked or shared.

What version of Windows do you use? Do you use Wordfast Classic or Wordfast Pro? What versions?

If you use Windows 7, make sure the glossary folder isn't open in Windows Explorer with the cursor on the file in question and the preview feature enabled. Previewing a file in Windows Explorer is like opening it in an application.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:01
fiński > francuski
5.2 is not a Wordfast version Aug 10, 2011

Mercedes Rey wrote:
I have wordfast version 5.2

There is no such version of Wordfast as 5.2
Wordfast Classic can be 5.92m or 6.01g. I recommend you install the latter. You may want to use Unlocker (http://www.emptyloop.com/unlocker/) to see what application/process has locked your glossary file and take the appropriate measures. Unlocker will also unlock the file, as implied by its name.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Glossary txt* is locked or shared.

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »