Autor wątku: Natasha Dupuy
Natasha Dupuy
Natasha Dupuy  Identity Verified
Francja
Local time: 11:39
francuski > angielski
Jul 1, 2009

Hi,

I apologise in advance if I am posting this in the wrong area of the forum...

I am being asked to quote on a fairly large semi-technical document. The client has provided pdf files for quoting, but has specified that the source documents are in the LaTex format.

I do not have LaTex and I would like to use Wordfast to translate the files. Has anyone come across this situation? Do you have any advice?

Many thanks in advance

Natas
... See more
Hi,

I am being asked to quote on a fairly large semi-technical document. The client has provided pdf files for quoting, but has specified that the source documents are in the LaTex format.

I do not have LaTex and I would like to use Wordfast to translate the files. Has anyone come across this situation? Do you have any advice?

Many thanks in advance

Natasha
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Holandia
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

angielski > afrikaans
+ ...
Some pointers Jul 1, 2009

Natasha Dupuy wrote:

And I, in turn, apologise in advance if I write my answer in the wrong thread.

I am being asked to quote on a fairly large semi-technical document. The client has provided pdf files for quoting, but has specified that the source documents are in the LaTex format. ... I do not have LaTex and...

LaTeX is not a program per se but more of a file format. And there are different variants of it too. Be careful with tools that claim to convert LaTeX to some other format, as the conversion is often one-way only and can't be reversed once you're done translating. Do a ProZ.com forum search for "latex" -- there have been some previous posts on the issue, such as this one: http://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/28049-a_freeware_tool_for_translation_of_latex_and_other_plain_text_files.html .

Added: I forgot that Tortoise Tagger has some LaTeX resources, specifically for Wordfast.
http://www.accurussian.net/tagger.htm

[Edited at 2009-07-01 11:00 GMT]

Uwe Schwenk (X)
Uwe Schwenk (X)
Local time: 04:39
angielski > niemiecki
LaTex Jul 1, 2009

Natasha,

I want to add something to Samuels suggestions. Once you have translated the files, its a good idea to open them in a LaTex editor to see if nothing got lost. I would recommend the freeware version of TexnicCenter under http://www.texniccenter.org/

Its a nice editor and it shows if you have issues.

If you have any particular questions for LaTex you can contact
... See more
Natasha,

I want to add something to Samuels suggestions. Once you have translated the files, its a good idea to open them in a LaTex editor to see if nothing got lost. I would recommend the freeware version of TexnicCenter under http://www.texniccenter.org/

Its a nice editor and it shows if you have issues.

If you have any particular questions for LaTex you can contact me, because thats my main specialty for translation.

Uwe
Collapse

Natasha Dupuy
Natasha Dupuy  Identity Verified
Francja
francuski > angielski
NOWY TEMAT
Thanks Jul 2, 2009

Thank you both for your helpful comments; I certainly learnt a lot about LaTeX yesterday.
The client has very kindly agreed to provide Word documents, so I am off the hook this time!

Have a great day
Natasha

Uwe Schwenk (X)
Uwe Schwenk (X)
Local time: 04:39
angielski > niemiecki
LaTex Jul 2, 2009

Natasha,

since the client gave you word documents, you are OK this time. However, if you get more LaTex or Tex docs, you might want to consider getting across because it does handle Late and all flavors beautifully.

Uwe

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

source document in LaTex format

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »