Analogy segments words char. %
Repetitions 1 1 5 0%
100% 283 1499 8924 95%
95%-99% 3 38 195 2%
85%-94% 1 2 7 0%
75%-84% 1 11 59 1%
00%-74% 2 32 136 2%
Total 291 1583 9326

I have to fill an order form with word repetitions. In my opinion, in the above report 100% repetitions are very high. I translated most of the text. Or perhaps Am I misunderstanding something? I am using a free version of Wordfatt 5.601 Thanks and best regards, AT
Collapse

P Forgas
P Forgas  Identity Verified
Brazylia
Local time: 10:17
portugalski > hiszpański
+ ...
0% Jul 27, 2009

Hola:

You have 0% repetitions

1 segment, 1 word, 5 char., 0% repetitions

P.

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:17
angielski > francuski
+ ...
Yep, basically no reps Jul 27, 2009

You basically have no reps in this file. What you have are 100% matches. If you say you translated most of the text, it's perfectly normal to have a high count of 100% matches. If you need to analyse your file, I suggest you do that before actually starting with the translation...

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Holandia
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

angielski > afrikaans
+ ...
Repetitions and matches are two different things Jul 27, 2009

Argentine Translator wrote:
In my opinion, in the above report 100% repetitions are very high.

There's your problem. You think that "repetitions" is the same thing as "100% matches". They're not -- repetitions here refers to segments that occur more than once in the current file (regardless of whether they have any matches in the TM). The figure 100% refers to segments that have a 100% match in the TM (and if they occur more than once in the text, they are counted only once).

Mohamed Kamel
Mohamed Kamel  Identity Verified
Egipt
Local time: 16:17
angielski > arabski
Yes Jul 27, 2009

You are right Mr. Samuel. "repetitions" isn't the same thing as "100% matches".

Samuel Murray wrote:

In my opinion, in the above report 100% repetitions are very high.

There's your problem. You think that "repetitions" is the same thing as "100% matches". They're not -- repetitions here refers to segments that occur more than once in the current file (regardless of whether they have any matches in the TM). The figure 100% refers to segments that have a 100% match in the TM (and if they occur more than once in the text, they are counted only once).

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
Wielka Brytania
Local time: 14:17
francuski > angielski
+ ...
Analysis Jul 27, 2009

Did you do the analysis before or after you translated the text?

Hint: to get an accurate picture of the 100% matches/repetitions, do the analysis before you start work. If you analyse after you've finished, there will be lots of 100% matches because the text is now in your TM.

Apologies if I have misunderstood the problem.

Eric Hahn (X)
Eric Hahn (X)  Identity Verified
Francja
francuski > niemiecki
+ ...
Words or segments Jul 27, 2009

I have to fill an order form with word repetitions.

As far as I know, repetitions and matches refer to segments, never to words.

Spanish-English Translator
angielski > hiszpański
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Thanks Jul 27, 2009

Thank you to all for your replies. I made a mess with the repetitions and the matches.
I performed the analysis before translating the file.

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
Wielka Brytania
Local time: 14:17
francuski > angielski
+ ...
Matches Jul 27, 2009

If the text had so many 100% matches you shouldn't have had to translate very much at all - the matches should have appeared in the text as you worked. Did this happen?

angielski > hiszpański
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Matches II Jul 27, 2009

Dear Angela, I was not given a TM. I received a file. During the translation work there appeared some suggestions and there were some untranslatable words, but I had to translate most of the document. Regards, AT

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Holandia
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

angielski > afrikaans
+ ...
Analyse the untranslated file Jul 27, 2009

During the translation work there appeared some suggestions and there were some untranslatable words, but I had to translate most of the document.

If you want to submit an invoice for the job, you should analyse the untranslated file (before you start translating anything).

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
USA
Local time: 09:17
Członek ProZ.com
od 2002

angielski > węgierski
+ ...
Analyze the untranslated source with an empty TM Jul 27, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:

During the translation work there appeared some suggestions and there were some untranslatable words, but I had to translate most of the document.

If you want to submit an invoice for the job, you should analyse the untranslated file (before you start translating anything).

As Samuel and others said earlier, you should always analyze the file when you get it form the client, before you start working on it. If you receive a TM from the client, use that for the analysis. If you do not receive a TM (which you did not, you said) then you should perform the analysis using an EMPTY TM set up in the proper language pair.
An analysis done with an empty TM would give you only Repetitions and No Match counts. No 100% or 99% or any % matches, as there is nothing to match them against.

There is something wrong with the statistics you presented in your original posting.
It cannot be the result of analyzing an untranslated file against an empty TM. Perhaps you did analyze the untranslated file, but after you have finished the translation (that is, when you had the text in the TM already)?

Create a new TM, and analyze the original source document against it. You should get a different result.

Katalin

angielski > hiszpański
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Analysis with a new TM Jul 27, 2009

Katalin, Thank you for your advice. I performed the analysis with a NEW TM and got the following report:
---------------------------------------------------------
Repetitions 88 188 1017 12%
100% 0 0 0 0%
95%-99% 0 0 0 0%
85%-94% 0 0 0 0%
75%-8
... See more
Katalin, Thank you for your advice. I performed the analysis with a NEW TM and got the following report:
---------------------------------------------------------
Repetitions 88 188 1017 12%
100% 0 0 0 0%
95%-99% 0 0 0 0%
85%-94% 0 0 0 0%
75%-84% 0 0 0 0%
00%-74% 203 1395 8309 88%
Total 291 1583 9326
Regards,
AT
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
USA
Local time: 09:17
Członek ProZ.com
od 2002

angielski > węgierski
+ ...
OK, so now you understand the process, right? Jul 28, 2009

I am glad it worked out, and now you know what to do next time. Reading the manual would not hurt either - it has valuable and sometimes essential information about how to use the software.

Good luck
Katalin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

100% repetitions seem very high

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Pastey
Your smart companion app

Pastey is an innovative desktop application that bridges the gap between human expertise and artificial intelligence. With intuitive keyboard shortcuts, Pastey transforms your source text into AI-powered draft translations.

Find out more »