Stefan Stefanov
Stefan Stefanov  Identity Verified
Bułgaria
Local time: 06:41
angielski > bułgarski
+ ...
Sep 10, 2010

Hello,

I am looking for instructions on how to add new segmentation rules to WF Pro. The reason I need to do this is some abbreviations normally found in Bulgarian texts the full stop at the end of which always causes Wordfast to break the segment.

Example:

[......... съгласно чл. 20 от ....] ----- [...... according to Article 20 of .....]
[......... ул. "Софийски герой" 1 ........ ] -------- [.......... 1 "Sofiiski geroi" S
... See more
Hello,

I am looking for instructions on how to add new segmentation rules to WF Pro. The reason I need to do this is some abbreviations normally found in Bulgarian texts the full stop at the end of which always causes Wordfast to break the segment.

Example:

[......... съгласно чл. 20 от ....] ----- [...... according to Article 20 of .....]
[......... ул. "Софийски герой" 1 ........ ] -------- [.......... 1 "Sofiiski geroi" St., .......]

There are many others of the sort. I need to be able to "instruct" Wordfast NOT to break a new segment when it encounters some of these abbreviations.

Looking at the Segmentation Settings panel in Preferences didn't give me any clues on how to do this. Another thing I have just noticed is that even though I selected "Bulgarian" from the Abbreviations drop down menu there and hit Apply, the next time I open the same panel, it still shows the first list entry, Abkhazian.
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Tajlandia
Local time: 10:41
angielski > tajski
+ ...
WFP segmentation settings Sep 13, 2010

I find the WFP 2.4 segmentation settings are good in details. If you fail to design your ideal segmentation, why not use the segment expansion/joint menu command to control each segment accurately.

Soonthon Lupkitaro

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egipt
angielski > arabski
Edit > Preferences > Abbreviations Sep 13, 2010

Stefan Stefanov wrote:

Example:

......... съгласно чл. 20 от .... according to Article 20 of .....
......... ул. "Софийски герой" 1 ........ "Sofiiski geroi" St., .......

There are many others of the sort. I need to be able to "instruct" Wordfast NOT to break a new segment when it encounters some of these abbreviations.

Dear Stefan,

Please make sure you download and install the latest version of Wordfast Professional available at:
http://www.wordfast.com/store_download.html

You can add your Bulgarian abbreviations into: Edit > Preferences > Abbreviations > Bulgarian - make sure they are separated by commas without spaces.

Please see this small video for your чл. and ул.

http://screencast.com/t/YzkyMDE1MmYt

Stefan Stefanov wrote:

Looking at the Segmentation Settings panel in Preferences didn't give me any clues on how to do this. Another thing I have just noticed is that even though I selected "Bulgarian" from the Abbreviations drop down menu there and hit Apply, the next time I open the same panel, it still shows the first list entry, Abkhazian.

This is not a problem.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Best Regards,
Yasmin Moslem
Wordfast Support

[Edited at 2010-09-13 11:18 GMT]

Stefan Stefanov
Bułgaria
angielski > bułgarski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Thank you Sep 15, 2010

Excellent, great tutorial! Thank you very much!

Bree Salmon
Bree Salmon  Identity Verified
USA
Local time: 20:41
japoński > angielski
So how then to remove certain rules? May 3, 2012

Sorry to resurrect the thread, but could anyone tell me then how to remove rules from the rule list? I do not want sentences to segment on colons (:).

Thanks in advance.

Stefan Stefanov
Bułgaria
angielski > bułgarski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Export settings? May 3, 2012

Bree Salmon wrote:

Sorry to resurrect the thread, but could anyone tell me then how to remove rules from the rule list? I do not want sentences to segment on colons (:).

Thanks in advance.

I suppose you can try and export the currently active segmentation settings, e.g. "wfsegmentation.properties", open the exported file, locate the colon rule, edit/remove it and import the newly created (saved under a different name would be better) segmentation rules.

That's just an idea, I haven't tried it and I am usure about its practicability.

I also looked through the various WF folders in C:\Program Files (x86)\Wordfast but didn't see any segmentation properties file there.

Yasmin Moslem
Egipt
angielski > arabski
Display issue May 3, 2012

Bree Salmon wrote:

Dear Bree,

There is a display issue that makes you not able to see the default segmentation marks. So, here is what you should do to be able to see them.

- Select any other option such as "Break"; click Apply and OK. (The preferences dialogue is now closed.)
- Open the preferences again, and re-select "Wordfast".
- Now, you should see "End of segment markers" filled with .:?!
- You can now delete : and Apply; OK.

HTH,
Yasmin

Bree Salmon
Bree Salmon  Identity Verified
USA
Local time: 20:41
japoński > angielski
Thanks! May 4, 2012

Yasmin,

Once again, you save the day.

So is the fact that I have to do that a bug or what?

Yasmin Moslem
Egipt
angielski > arabski
Known Issue May 4, 2012

Bree Salmon wrote:

Yasmin,

Once again, you save the day.

So is the fact that I have to do that a bug or what?

Dear Bree,

You are very welcome!

Whatever it is called, it is a known issue. Most importantly, you now know how to go around it.

Kind regards,
Yasmin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Edit segmentation settings in WF Pro

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »