Holandia
Local time: 08:45
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

angielski > afrikaans
+ ...
Oct 16, 2010

G'day everyone

In WFC I can set some text to Marching Red Ants to set them as untranslatable, without having to change the underlying formatting such as the style. Can I do that in WFP too? I mean, can I prepare the MS Word file in some way to mark up the text that should not be translated, so that WFP will not add that text to the translatable table?

I can't use styles such as tw4winExternal because my document already has various styles in it. I need to use somethi
... See more
G'day everyone

In WFC I can set some text to Marching Red Ants to set them as untranslatable, without having to change the underlying formatting such as the style. Can I do that in WFP too? I mean, can I prepare the MS Word file in some way to mark up the text that should not be translated, so that WFP will not add that text to the translatable table?

I can't use styles such as tw4winExternal because my document already has various styles in it. I need to use something that can be added and then removed again without altering the underlying document (like one can do with Marching Red Ants in WFC).

If the client had given me a choice of CAT tools, I would have used Trados 2009 for this job (because it has that function for some types of text formatting), but unfortunately I have to use WFP (or TXML, anyway).

Thanks
Samuel
Collapse

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egipt
Local time: 09:45
angielski > arabski
Use the "Hidden" format Oct 16, 2010

Samuel Murray wrote:

In WFC I can set some text to Marching Red Ants to set them as untranslatable, without having to change the underlying formatting such as the style. Can I do that in WFP too?

Dear Samuel,

I hope this helps:
http://www.wordfast.net/?kb=130-35

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Holandia
Local time: 08:45
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

angielski > afrikaans
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
@YM Oct 16, 2010

Yasmin Moslem wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
In WFC I can set some text to Marching Red Ants to set them as untranslatable, without having to change the underlying formatting such as the style. Can I do that in WFP too?

I hope this helps:
http://www.wordfast.net/?kb=130-35

Thanks, but marking text as hidden marks it as *internal* untranslatable. Useful if one can't find anything better, but ideally there should be a way to mark text as *external* untranslatable (as marching red ants does).

For example, if I have this text:

This is the house that Jack built. The cat sat on the mat.

and I mark "Jack built. The cat" as hidden, then WFP will merge the two segments into a single segment:

[tag]This is the house that [tag] sat on the mat.[tag]

If in WFC I had marked "Jack built. The cat" as Marching Red Ants, then WFC would segment the text as follows:

This is the house that
and
sat on the mat.

[Edited at 2010-10-16 11:04 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Marching Red Ants for WFP

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »