emilywright
emilywright
Niemcy
Local time: 23:26
niemiecki > angielski
+ ...
Dec 1, 2010

Hi there,

I recently got a new computer and, with it, Word 2010. Now I’m having problems using WordFast (version 5.92g) with it. Although it's allowing me to create and work with new TMs, it can't seem to find my existing memories. Even if I go to the select TM button in the setup menu and click through to their exact location, WordFast always throws up an error message saying "/TM.txt not found". It can't seem to remember the path I just gave.

Does anyone know what t
... See more
Hi there,

I recently got a new computer and, with it, Word 2010. Now I’m having problems using WordFast (version 5.92g) with it. Although it's allowing me to create and work with new TMs, it can't seem to find my existing memories. Even if I go to the select TM button in the setup menu and click through to their exact location, WordFast always throws up an error message saying "/TM.txt not found". It can't seem to remember the path I just gave.

Does anyone know what this might be related to?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Emily
Collapse

David Daduč (X)
David Daduč (X)
Czechy
angielski > czeski
Check access rights Dec 4, 2010

Hi Emily,

It seems likely Wordfast cannot read or write into its settings file(s). These files are located in the folder where Wordfast Classic (wordfast.dot file) is installed, i.e. typically your Word's Startup folder. Locate that folder, right-click it, select Properties, and inspect the access rights. Make sure read and write operations are allowed. If this does not help or if you find it difficult to do, you may try turning off UAC (User Account Control) in
... See more
Hi Emily,

It seems likely Wordfast cannot read or write into its settings file(s). These files are located in the folder where Wordfast Classic (wordfast.dot file) is installed, i.e. typically your Word's Startup folder. Locate that folder, right-click it, select Properties, and inspect the access rights. Make sure read and write operations are allowed. If this does not help or if you find it difficult to do, you may try turning off UAC (User Account Control) in the Windows Control Panel (even though Microsoft recommend keeping UAC on, for security reasons).

HTH,
David

[Edited at 2010-12-04 18:49 GMT]
Collapse

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
Francja
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

francuski > angielski
+ ...
Same problem, different configuration Dec 4, 2010

Sorry I can't help you. I sometimes have a similar problem running WF Classic, latest public build, on a virtual machine (Parallels) with Word 2003 and Windows XP.

Cheers,
John Di Rico
Wordfast Trainer
www.wordfast.fr

emilywright
emilywright
Niemcy
niemiecki > angielski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Thanks but no cigar Dec 8, 2010

Thanks David. I look at look at the access rights and I have full access to both the Startup folder and the folder where the TMs are saved. Wordfast does not seem to be saving any of the settings I implement. When I used Wordfast with Word 2007, when I clicked on "Select TM" the last menu I opened would appear. Now it always takes me back to the first menu in "My Computer".

I also have to keep reentering my license number as that seems to "disappear" every time I close Wordfast. If
... See more
Thanks David. I look at look at the access rights and I have full access to both the Startup folder and the folder where the TMs are saved. Wordfast does not seem to be saving any of the settings I implement. When I used Wordfast with Word 2007, when I clicked on "Select TM" the last menu I opened would appear. Now it always takes me back to the first menu in "My Computer".

I also have to keep reentering my license number as that seems to "disappear" every time I close Wordfast. If I then try to open a memory (which is always followed by the "/TM.txt not found" message from Wordfast) and then try to click on a tab in the wordfast menu I get the Microsoft Visual Basic runtime error 424 message - presumably because it can't find wordfast anymore without the license number...

Is there an option somewhere for getting Wordfast to save my settings? Or is there more to this runtime error 424 than I think?

Again, any help would be brilliant!
Collapse

Ulrike G.
Ulrike G.  Identity Verified
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

angielski > niemiecki
Same here on Mac Dec 8, 2010

Hi all,

ever since I updated Word 2011 (14.0.1) for Mac Wordfast (592g and before that 591i) can't see the TM. The TM is filled, but it won't suggest even 100 % matches.

I think the fault lies within the TM, as Word 2004 in conjunction with Wordfast 591i now doesn't work any more, either (using this TM).

Can you help?

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egipt
Local time: 00:26
angielski > arabski
Anwers Dec 9, 2010

Emily, What is your operating system? If you are on Windows Vista or 7, try to disable UAC.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-user-account-control-uac-the-easy-way-on-windows-vista/

Try also to disable the any security software including the anti-virus.

This seems to be a perm
... See more
Emily, What is your operating system? If you are on Windows Vista or 7, try to disable UAC.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-user-account-control-uac-the-easy-way-on-windows-vista/

Try also to disable the any security software including the anti-virus.

This seems to be a permissions issue, anyhow.

------------------------------

John, try to change the shared folder of the TM with one with full permissions. Avoid using Desktop and the like.

Ulrike, please click "Reorganize" twice and try to use the TM again.

HTH,
Yasmin
Collapse

emilywright
emilywright
Niemcy
niemiecki > angielski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
UAC disabled but still can't find my TMs Dec 13, 2010

Thanks for your suggestion, Yasmin. I completely disabled the UAC (in Windows 7), but the problem still persists. I have a techy friend coming by tomorrow so he should be able to see if there are any other permission related issues. I'll keep you posted!

Emily

emilywright
emilywright
Niemcy
niemiecki > angielski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Problem solved! Dec 14, 2010

The problem was that the memories were saved on a server and that, for security reasons, Windows 7 does not allow Word to take the TM txt files from another source.

To rectify the problem he simply added the folder where my TMs are saved to my list of trusted locations in the trust center and also checked the box that allows trusted locations to be located on a network. Thankfully, everything is now working fine. Yippee!

Hope this helps you too, John.

Than
... See more
The problem was that the memories were saved on a server and that, for security reasons, Windows 7 does not allow Word to take the TM txt files from another source.

To rectify the problem he simply added the folder where my TMs are saved to my list of trusted locations in the trust center and also checked the box that allows trusted locations to be located on a network. Thankfully, everything is now working fine. Yippee!

Hope this helps you too, John.

Thanks for your all your help everyone!

Emily
Collapse

Irene Elmerot
Irene Elmerot  Identity Verified
niderlandzki > szwedzki
+ ...
Same problem, but can't reorganise Jan 27, 2011

Yasmin Moslem wrote:

HTH,
Yasmin

Dear Yasmin,
I just got the same fault that Ulrike got, but since I can't choose a TM, there's nothing to reorganise!

BUT: I realised that the old rule "don't put your TM:s in a folder that has an Umlaut (or anything with diacritics except for the letter i or j
... See more
Yasmin Moslem wrote:

HTH,
Yasmin

Dear Yasmin,
I just got the same fault that Ulrike got, but since I can't choose a TM, there's nothing to reorganise!

BUT: I realised that the old rule "don't put your TM:s in a folder that has an Umlaut (or anything with diacritics except for the letter i or j) in the filepath name" applied here! My filepath was /Users/IreneE/Företaget/TM etc., but as soon as I moved the TM folder to the shorter /Users/IreneE/TM it worked!

Best,
/Irene
WFC 5.92m, Mac OS 10.6.6, newly installed Office 2011

[Edited at 2011-01-28 09:03 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-01-28 09:03 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-01-28 09:04 GMT]
Collapse

diana bb

Maria Jönsson
Maria Jönsson  Identity Verified
Szwecja
angielski > szwedzki
+ ...
Thanks Irene! Feb 1, 2011

Thanks Irene!: the umlaut advice solved a number of my problems (Wf in Word 2011 on a Mac)

/Maria

Max de Montaigne
Max de Montaigne  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 07:26
francuski > angielski
+ ...
Folder names: Umlaut and the like Jul 1, 2014

Thanks a lot Irene for that much needed reminder.

3 years later in this discussion, this still proves to be an extremely useful advice.
THE Advice.

Wishing you a day as nice as mine.

Max de Montaigne

In parallel: "Try and remember what did I change in recent days??...."

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:26
fiński > francuski
Mac vs. Windows Jul 1, 2014

This is really the case on Mac: Wordfast Classic has no particular problems with diacritics in file/folder names on Windows.

Also worth noting: file name length plays a role on Mac (Wordfast won't "see" TM's or glossaries if their names are too long). Again, no such problems on Windows, although it is a good idea to keep their length reasonable (Wordfast issues a reminder to that effect).

All this has to do with VBA and the way Microsoft implemented it on Mac.

Max de Montaigne
Max de Montaigne  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 07:26
francuski > angielski
+ ...
Path name and length Jul 2, 2014

Thank you Dominique,

You are right, WordFast itself normally suggests that you shorten the TM name length.

Maybe this other error message in WF could be a little more explicit and suggest a solution, like TM / Glossary "cannot be found, pls. check the absence of diacritics along the path name" ? This would reduce the panic....

For once it is good to see that there is one (1) thing you don't have to worry about in Windows ...
See more
Thank you Dominique,

You are right, WordFast itself normally suggests that you shorten the TM name length.

Maybe this other error message in WF could be a little more explicit and suggest a solution, like TM / Glossary "cannot be found, pls. check the absence of diacritics along the path name" ? This would reduce the panic....

For once it is good to see that there is one (1) thing you don't have to worry about in Windows

[Edited at 2014-07-02 03:06 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast can't find my TMs in Word 2010

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Pastey
Your smart companion app

Pastey is an innovative desktop application that bridges the gap between human expertise and artificial intelligence. With intuitive keyboard shortcuts, Pastey transforms your source text into AI-powered draft translations.

Find out more »