How to use advanced wizard with excel-files?
Autor wątku: Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finlandia
Local time: 14:26
Członek ProZ.com
od 2003

fiński > niemiecki
+ ...
Jan 14, 2011

I have tried this many times but to no avail. I followed the instructions of the manual for Wf Pro from page 22. I thought it should be possible to translate a column of an Excel-file so that the source stays in the original position and the target would be in another column.

I had a small file with a header row and five cells with text to be translated.

EN / DE (header row)
source1
source2
source3
source4
source5

And I would
... See more
I have tried this many times but to no avail. I followed the instructions of the manual for Wf Pro from page 22. I thought it should be possible to translate a column of an Excel-file so that the source stays in the original position and the target would be in another column.

I had a small file with a header row and five cells with text to be translated.

EN / DE (header row)
source1
source2
source3
source4
source5

And I would like the translated file to look like this:

EN / DE (header row)
source1 / target1
source2 / target2
source3 / target3
source4 / target4
source5 / target5

Instead I always get this:

EN / DE (header row)
target1
target2
target3
target4
target5

So Wf only puts the translation at the location of the source, as any old-fashioned CAT would do.
Furthermore, though I select in the Wizard the header row, in the editor it is translatable.

Perhaps somebody has managed to use this feature of Wf pro successfully and can explain what the manual cannot, at least for me?

Heinrich
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Finlandia
Członek ProZ.com
od 2003

fiński > niemiecki
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Now I understood Jan 14, 2011

Yes, I have to click on the row which starts with EN, then select under target column "DE", and it works.
Nice feature!

Heinrich Pesch
Finlandia
Członek ProZ.com
od 2003

fiński > niemiecki
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
But hidden rows and columns are translatable? Jan 14, 2011

Now I would like to use Wf Pro in real life. I received an Excel file where only part of the rows need to be translated into my target language. I hid the rows with entries I don't need and the columns with other target languages.
But when I load this file into Pro using the advanced wizard everything is looked at as translatable. Is this normal?

I found the solution. Even though all columns are visible in the wizard, in editor they are gone, and all works fine.

<
... See more
Now I would like to use Wf Pro in real life. I received an Excel file where only part of the rows need to be translated into my target language. I hid the rows with entries I don't need and the columns with other target languages.
But when I load this file into Pro using the advanced wizard everything is looked at as translatable. Is this normal?

I found the solution. Even though all columns are visible in the wizard, in editor they are gone, and all works fine.

[Bearbeitet am 2011-01-14 16:56 GMT]
Collapse

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
Francja
Local time: 13:26
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

francuski > angielski
+ ...
Filter default settings Jan 15, 2011

Nice problem solving Heinrich!

Edit > Preferences > Translations > Filters > Formats...

Click on the Excel filters to change default behaviors (such as translating hidden columns and rows, to trans or not to trans cells with formulas, or what to do about sheet names).

Best,

John Di Rico
Wordfast Trainer
www.wordfast.fr

Heinrich Pesch
Finlandia
Członek ProZ.com
od 2003

fiński > niemiecki
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Thanks for the hint, John Jan 16, 2011

Looks like Pro is a nice piece of software when you get to know it a bit. The manual is not as clear as it could be. There should be a section with the simple workflow from start to end of a translation with reference to more details in between. Now one has to read 100+ pages first.

Heinrich

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to use advanced wizard with excel-files?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »