Autor wątku: Patricia Torres
Patricia Torres
Patricia Torres  Identity Verified
Wenezuela
Local time: 22:41
angielski > hiszpański
Jan 21, 2011

Hi everybody,

Can anybody recommend me how to use several memories with WC?

For years, I had been using only one memory for all texts (my General TM). But last year I thought it got too big (25000 units), so I created a new one for several clients which send me medical texts (my Health Care TM). With those clients, I use the Health Care TM as main TM and the General TM as BTM.

But now, a client sent his own memory (let's call it the Hospital TM). I cannot
... See more
Hi everybody,

Can anybody recommend me how to use several memories with WC?

For years, I had been using only one memory for all texts (my General TM). But last year I thought it got too big (25000 units), so I created a new one for several clients which send me medical texts (my Health Care TM). With those clients, I use the Health Care TM as main TM and the General TM as BTM.

But now, a client sent his own memory (let's call it the Hospital TM). I cannot merge this memory either with my General TM or my Health Care TM (the client wants to get the memory back after I finish this project). Besides, this client wants the bilingual file to edit and QC the file.

Is there a way to use the three memories in Wordfast Classic and get fuzzy matches from all of them?

THanks a lot!

Patricia
Collapse

Oliver Pekelharing
Oliver Pekelharing  Identity Verified
Holandia
Local time: 04:41
niderlandzki > angielski
Create a third TM Jan 21, 2011

Why not just create a third TM by merging your General and Healthcare TMs and then use that one as the BTM for this client.

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
USA
angielski > francuski
+ ...
cut from one TM Jan 21, 2011

What you can do is use your habitual TMs. Make sure you select a discrete attribute for the new customer. When you are finished, open the TM in Word, select the segments with that attribute (usually, they are at the end of the document, one can easily select relevant segments from the bottom of the doc and go up as needed) related to the new customer into a blank Word TM, and presto, send it away.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Holandia
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

angielski > afrikaans
+ ...
Merge it, then unmerge it Jan 21, 2011

ptorres wrote:
But now, a client sent his own memory (let's call it the Hospital TM). I cannot merge this memory either with my General TM or my Health Care TM (the client wants to get the memory back after I finish this project).

If you don't care about stealing the client's TM:

1. Merge the TMs and use it.
2. When you're done, load the client's TM and then clean your file (using the "update without clean" function).

If you do care about stealing the client's TM:

1. Merge the TMs and use it.
2. When you're done, load the client's TM and then clean your file (using the "update without clean" function).
3. Open your big TM in a text editor and remove any TUs that weren't modified by you (if you didn't sort the TM, they should all be together at the top or bottom)

The right way to merge two TMs, by the way, is to open the TMs themselves in MS Word and then copy/paste from the one to the other. This ensures that the TUs from the pasted TM all remain together, unless they're modified by you.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Hiszpania
Local time: 03:41
Członek ProZ.com
od 2007

angielski
+ ...
BTM Jan 21, 2011

For me, the BTM is a merging of all the TUs I've ever created. This runs in read-only background to the TM that I'm actually updating.

That's what John de Rico advised on the ProZ Beginners' Wordfast course (if I got it right!)

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
Francja
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

francuski > angielski
+ ...
Some more with BTM Jan 22, 2011

Sheila Wilson wrote:

For me, the BTM is a merging of all the TUs I've ever created. This runs in read-only background to the TM that I'm actually updating.

That's what John de Rico advised on the ProZ Beginners' Wordfast course (if I got it right!)

Hi Sheila!

Hope you are well

I like some of Samuel's suggestions for this particular case. There is one other thing you could do with this mega-merged BTM: use the data editor to mark all TUs that have been used 0 times, then delete them. You'll then have all frequently recurring TUs across the board for background, and all TUs regardless of reuse for your current client in the active TM.

Best of luck,

John Di Rico
Wordfast Trainer
www.wordfast.fr

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
francuski > angielski
Simpler yet? Jan 22, 2011

I thought Samule was going to say this, but he went all complicated at the end

a) start a new TM, and add all 3 TMs into it. I would use Notepad.
b) translate, then clean, thus producing the .bak bilingual file needed.
c) open the .bak file, change the TM to the client's original TM, and cleanup again, with the "update TM" option, so the client gets the work you've done in their TM.
d) close the .bak
... See more
I thought Samule was going to say this, but he went all complicated at the end

c) open the .bak file, change the TM to the client's original TM, and cleanup again, with the "update TM" option, so the client gets the work you've done in their TM.
d) close the .bak file WITHOUT saving.

I use this method and variations thereon every week, usually because the client wants the stuff in their TM, and I also want it in mine. So I either use theirs, and then do the 2nd clean-up into mine, or I use mine and do the 2nd clean-up into theirs, depending what is more appropriate. As long as you always exit the .bak without saving, you can clean up your work into any number of different TMs. So you could, for example, add this just into your Health Care TM afterwards.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Holandia
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

angielski > afrikaans
+ ...
@Charlie Jan 22, 2011

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Notepad can put line breaks in places where you don't want line breaks... but yes, any text editor will do. I recommend Akelpad.

No need to use be BAK file method if you're updating without cleaning. Here's how: add the command "UpdateWithQuickClean" to your Pandora's Box. Then, when you want to clean your file (or update the TM at any time), click the "Quick Clean" button (or press Shift+Ctrl+Q). The quick cleaner will then ask if you want to clean or update-only.

Note that it is not smart to use Quick Clean if you have multiple documents open, because WF will move around the documents on the taskbar.

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
francuski > angielski
True about bilingual Jan 22, 2011

True, your original work is already a bilingual file - why clean? .

I typically clean twice because I often update 2 TMs (mine and the client's) with the same work. There are innumerable ways to skin this particular cat and many others, and they undoubtedly include some techniques I have never explored since I found a workable solution with the ones I do understand.
(As an ex-programmer, I adopt the view that t
... See more
True, your original work is already a bilingual file - why clean? .

I typically clean twice because I often update 2 TMs (mine and the client's) with the same work. There are innumerable ways to skin this particular cat and many others, and they undoubtedly include some techniques I have never explored since I found a workable solution with the ones I do understand.
(As an ex-programmer, I adopt the view that the less the computer does the better, and the more restricted the command set I use, the more likely I am to understand what it's doing. I'm like the bloke I know who works for Rolls Royce engines and gets twitchy near airports, and never, ever flies. We know too much.....!)
Collapse

Patricia Torres
Patricia Torres  Identity Verified
Wenezuela
angielski > hiszpański
NOWY TEMAT
Thanks! Jan 23, 2011

I really appreciate your detailed explanations!

I certainly got much more than I though... I did as you said -slowly, step by step- and it worked. Additionally, I learned about several ways to handle TMs, and was reminded about the Pandora Box... I'll try to check this forum more often!

Thanks!

Patricia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Managing several memories with Wordfast Classic

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »