Numbers
Autor wątku: Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Meksyk
Local time: 03:21
hiszpański > angielski
May 9, 2011

I am using wordfast classic 5.92m with word 2003 on a XP Professional Operating System.

My problem is that wordfast is no longer treating numbers as placeables.

Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
USA
Local time: 05:21
angielski > francuski
+ ...
Bummer May 10, 2011

I have the same config as you, and something similar occurred some time ago (maybe even with 5.92m). However, I can't remember what cured it!

Try extracting the .dot file again from the zip and reinstalling it.

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egipt
Local time: 12:21
angielski > arabski
Some thoughts! May 10, 2011

Dear Lesley,

How do your numbers look like? Are they regular numbers or do they include letters, etc.?

How do you insert them, using Ctrl+Alt+Right and Ctrl+Alt+Down? Do those combination work fine with the glossary terms? If not, I wonder if the shortcuts are used by another function.

What if you try another way? One way is to type the first number and then press the TAB button. Another way is to use the toolbar button Next Placeable and then Copy Placeabl
... See more
Dear Lesley,

How do your numbers look like? Are they regular numbers or do they include letters, etc.?

How do you insert them, using Ctrl+Alt+Right and Ctrl+Alt+Down? Do those combination work fine with the glossary terms? If not, I wonder if the shortcuts are used by another function.

What if you try another way? One way is to type the first number and then press the TAB button. Another way is to use the toolbar button Next Placeable and then Copy Placeable. Dose one of those two ways work?

HTH,
Yasmin
Collapse

Lesley Clarke
Meksyk
hiszpański > angielski
NOWY TEMAT
Response May 10, 2011

Hello, Yasmin, thanks for answering.
The numbers where I particularly need the function are in the style of "25+100".

My problem is that, when there was a 100% or fuzzy match, wordfast used to automatically change the numbers to the numbers in the source text, but now it doesn't.

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egipt
angielski > arabski
Placeables May 10, 2011

Dear Lesley,

Lesley Clarke wrote:

The numbers where I particularly need the function are in the style of "25+100".

Please open Wordfast Setup > PB, click commands and check the option "Enable PB". Find the option:
PlaceableContains=#@=+/\-

Remove the underscore to activate it. You can also adjust it to have only the + you need. Close and save the settings. This will make "25+100" dealt as one placeable.

Lesley Clarke wrote:

My problem is that, when there was a 100% or fuzzy match, wordfast used to automatically change the numbers to the numbers in the source text, but now it doesn't.

The point here is the + splitting the number. Still, you will not get it as a 100%; you will get it as a fuzzy 99% or so. So, you are notified anyhow.

HTH,
Yasmin

[Edited at 2011-05-10 19:25 GMT]

Lesley Clarke
Meksyk
hiszpański > angielski
NOWY TEMAT
Thanks for your suggestions Yasmin, but... May 11, 2011

Just tried that and no luck. Oh well.
Many regards
Lesley

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
fiński > francuski
Numbers are always considered as placeables by Wordfast May 12, 2011

Lesley Clarke wrote:
I am using wordfast classic 5.92m with word 2003 on a XP Professional Operating System.
My problem is that wordfast is no longer treating numbers as placeables.

Really strange, as numbers should always be treated as placeables by default. In fact, it's not even possible to ask Wordfast not to treat them as placeables. Even strings of numbers like 25+100 should be considered as placeables, without requiring a particular PB parameter.

If you mean you cannot use Ctrl+Alt+left/right/down to select and copy numbers, you should still be able to copy them with first letter + tab.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Numbers

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »