Susana González Tuya
Susana González Tuya
Hiszpania
Local time: 11:29
angielski > hiszpański
+ ...
May 23, 2011

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if I can translate an Excel application (VBA) using Wordfast and if so how or where I can get the information.

Thank you

Susana

[Edited at 2011-05-23 18:25 GMT]

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
USA
Local time: 05:29
angielski > francuski
+ ...
No VBA May 23, 2011

AFAIK, Wordfast can't translate native VBA. Not many CAT systems can, if any.

However, if the VBA files can be exported into a Wf-compatible format (Excel, html/xml), then it is possible.

Susana González Tuya
Susana González Tuya
Hiszpania
angielski > hiszpański
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
How? May 23, 2011

Is it easy to do or should i ask the client to do it ?

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Hiszpania
angielski > hiszpański
+ ...
Copy paste into Word May 23, 2011

Hi

I would suggest opening the VBA and simply copy pasting the text into Word, translate it and then copy paste back into Excel

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:29
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

angielski > rosyjski
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Not very good advise May 24, 2011

Alex Lago wrote:
I would suggest opening the VBA and simply copy pasting the text into Word

I would not translate it with Word because there is risk of getting into trouble with Word’s autoformatting options (in particular, Word will apply what Microsoft calls smart quotes and what is actually a dumb feature, which is not acceptable for program code).

BTW, are we talking about Wordfast Classic or Wordfast Pro?

Better copy/paste the VBA code into a text editor, save as plain text and translate with any tool that does not do any modifications in the original file. I would recommend OmegaT for such a task of Wordfast Pro.

Susana González Tuya
Susana González Tuya
Hiszpania
angielski > hiszpański
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Wordfast Pro May 24, 2011

Sorry, I was talking about Wordfast Pro.

Alex Lago
Hiszpania
angielski > hiszpański
+ ...
Plain text May 24, 2011

esperantisto wrote:

Alex Lago wrote:
I would suggest opening the VBA and simply copy pasting the text into Word

I would not translate it with Word because there is risk of getting into trouble with Word’s autoformatting options (in particular, Word will apply what Microsoft calls smart quotes and what is actually a dumb feature, which is not acceptable for program code).

BTW, are we talking about Wordfast Classic or Wordfast Pro?

Better copy/paste the VBA code into a text editor, save as plain text and translate with any tool that does not do any modifications in the original file. I would recommend OmegaT for such a task of Wordfast Pro.

If you copy paste things into Word as plain text there are no auto-formatting issues, but Notepad would be just as good, and save it as a txt file, then translate the txt with Wordfast Pro

[Edited at 2011-05-24 19:37 GMT]

Susana González Tuya
Susana González Tuya
Hiszpania
angielski > hiszpański
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Copy into Excel sheet May 24, 2011

I am thinking of copying all the sheets into a normal excel document and translate with Wordfast. Would it still be of any use? I really have no clue how this VBA works.

Alex Lago
Hiszpania
angielski > hiszpański
+ ...
Which version of excel do you have? May 25, 2011

To access the vba section in your files you need to open the developer tools the way to do that depends on your excel version.

However if you don't know much about vba, might not be best idea to translate a vba if you don't know anything about it, most of the text will be code and not knowing anything about vba it might be difficult for you to spot what needs translating

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Excel Application and Wordfast

Pastey
Your smart companion app

Pastey is an innovative desktop application that bridges the gap between human expertise and artificial intelligence. With intuitive keyboard shortcuts, Pastey transforms your source text into AI-powered draft translations.

Find out more »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »