How to change default languages in Wordfast DEMO ?
Autor wątku: Markus Heinr (X)
Markus Heinr (X)
Markus Heinr (X)
niemiecki > angielski
May 30, 2011

I am having a problem with Wordfast and Microsoft Word. Whenever I finish a translation and look at the finished Word file, the language that MS Word is set to is German, not English. I therefore cannot use Spell Check. When I try to change the language in Word to English, it works, but as soon as I click on the text, it automatically changes back to German.

I therefore looked at Wordfast, and the SL and TL settings are wrong. I translate from German - English, but the settings are
... See more
I am having a problem with Wordfast and Microsoft Word. Whenever I finish a translation and look at the finished Word file, the language that MS Word is set to is German, not English. I therefore cannot use Spell Check. When I try to change the language in Word to English, it works, but as soon as I click on the text, it automatically changes back to German.

I therefore looked at Wordfast, and the SL and TL settings are wrong. I translate from German - English, but the settings are English to German. In the top right hand corner it says "default_eng_US-de_DE". This is wrong, and should be German to Britsh English. I have tried to change the language settings and have read online but still have not figured out how to do it.

I also read that you need to first select a project and then select the languages, but I tried that without success. I tried to open a file, but it said that it is incompatible with the language settings of the project?

There must be a way to change the language settings so that they are ALWAYS the way you intended, unless you decide to change them.

Can anyone tell me how I can change the default languages in Wordfast ? And will that stop it from messing up my Word language settings?

Thank you all in advance

P.S. I found this which suggests that this is a common problem :

http://www.wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=knowledge&Task=view&questId=22&catId=17
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finlandia
Local time: 12:30
Członek ProZ.com
od 2003

fiński > niemiecki
+ ...
Depends on your TM May 31, 2011

There is no Demo version of Wordfast, you always have the full version. Without a license only the TM is restricted to 500 segments.
When you create a project you set the languages. These languages are then used throughout all work within this project. When you chose or create a TM, make sure the languages are the same as in the project settings.
There is no external setting of language except those in project and TM.
As far as I know.

Markus Heinr (X)
Markus Heinr (X)
niemiecki > angielski
NOWY TEMAT
Thank you very much! May 31, 2011

That was driving me crazy!

FYI - the Wordfast version I have has " Wordfast - DEMO MODE" written in the top left hand corner.

What does " Limited to 500 segments" mean? I cannot load files into it that are longer than 500 sentences?

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finlandia
Członek ProZ.com
od 2003

fiński > niemiecki
+ ...
But it is the full version Jun 1, 2011

Xirod wrote:

That was driving me crazy!

FYI - the Wordfast version I have has " Wordfast - DEMO MODE" written in the top left hand corner.

What does " Limited to 500 segments" mean? I cannot load files into it that are longer than 500 sentences?

Yes, if you translate and the TM grows to more than 500 segments, WF will start to cut it from the top (First IN First Out).

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
fiński > francuski
You are using Wordfast Pro, not Classic Jun 5, 2011

Xirod wrote:
P.S. I found this which suggests that this is a common problem :

http://www.wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=knowledge&Task=view&questId=22&catId=17

Please note the above article was written in 2005 and pertains to Wordfast Classic (the version of Wordfast that works as an MS-Word add-in). The program you are trying to use is Wordfast *Pro*, which is a standalone program introduced in 2009. Therefore the above article couldn't relate to it.

The article you should read is the following ("Your First Translation with Wordfast Pro"):

http://www.wordfast.net/?kb=149-35

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to change default languages in Wordfast DEMO ?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »