portilla  Identity Verified
USA
Local time: 22:21
Członek ProZ.com
od 2002

angielski > hiszpański
+ ...
Aug 10, 2011

I finished translating a couple of docs with WFC yesterday. Today I wanted to open the TM and it's empty, however, the .bak has all the TUs. What can I do?
Thanks,
Ricardo

Nicholas Ferreira
Nicholas Ferreira  Identity Verified
Kanada
hiszpański > angielski
+ ...
No worries... Aug 10, 2011

What you should do is open the .bak file, open Wordfast settings (Ctrl + Alt + W) or using button on toolbar, ensure proper TM is selected, then go to Tools > Select the file > Clean-Up. When you are prompted to "Update Translation Memory?" answer yes, and all units should be updated to the TM.

This is what I do when I am sent translations done by freelancers in order to update my TM.

Hope this helps.

portilla
portilla  Identity Verified
USA
Członek ProZ.com
od 2002

angielski > hiszpański
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Problem to start working on a new file Aug 10, 2011

The problem I'm facing is when I open a new file to continue translating with the same memory, the memory is empty, either with WFPro or WFC.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:21
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

angielski > rosyjski
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Which .bak? Aug 11, 2011

portilla wrote:

Today I wanted to open the TM and it's empty, however, the .bak has all the TUs.

The .bak of the TM? Then try to revert its filename extension to .txt and engage with WF. Does this work?

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
fiński > francuski
Good point! Aug 11, 2011

esperantisto wrote:
The .bak of the TM?

Good point: Wordfast creates .bak of both the TM (for instance when reorganizing) and of documents translated (when cleaning them). A self-emptying TM sounds scary, though. And at any rate, I hope the original poster has some kind of backup strategy in place. The .bak files created by Wordfast are not meant to replace a good backup strategy (they won't help you if your hard disk crashes, your computer gets stolen etc.).

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

angielski > rosyjski
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Sure Aug 11, 2011

Dominique Pivard wrote:

The .bak files created by Wordfast are not meant to replace a good backup strategy

But they can be the last resort in some cases

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with WFClassic TM

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »