Francja
Local time: 05:19
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

francuski > niemiecki
+ ...
Oct 19, 2011

Hello,
I have a client with big projects where a have to process IDML-files. Wordfast-support told me that Wordfast Pro handle with IDML-files but I found nothing concrete in the Web. Before bying Wordfast Pro I would like to know if somebody has experiences with IDML and Wordfast. Thank you in advance for any infomation.
Martina

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:19
fiński > francuski
Just try it Oct 19, 2011

Martina Simon wrote:
I have a client with big projects where a have to process IDML-files. Wordfast-support told me that Wordfast Pro handle with IDML-files but I found nothing concrete in the Web. Before bying Wordfast Pro I would like to know if somebody has experiences with IDML and Wordfast. Thank you in advance for any infomation.

Although I haven't actually translated one in Wordfast Pro, I have opened a couple of large IDML files in it and they looked fine. Just ask for a sample IDML, together with the corresponding PDF (so you can check everything is included in the IDML) and open it in Wordfast Pro.

Roy Williams
Roy Williams  Identity Verified
Austria
niemiecki > angielski
It does but.. Oct 19, 2011

I rountinely work with IDML files and wordfast pro (demo). It does support them but does not segment them in sequential oder (from beginning to end). This means that first segment in editor may actually be somewhere in the middle of the original document, or even at the end.

For some, this may not matter but I like to know where I am in the document like in WfC. WfP does preserve the order when you save the translated file of course.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:19
fiński > francuski
How other tools deal with such IDML's? Oct 19, 2011

Roy Williams wrote:
I rountinely work with IDML files and wordfast pro (demo). It does support them but does not segment them in sequential oder (from beginning to end). This means that first segment in editor may actually be somewhere in the middle of the original document, or even at the end.

Do you know how other tools (eg. memoQ or Studio) deal with such IDML's? Do they get the order right or not? If you haven't access to other tools, I'd be interested to have a shot at one of these IDML's, if you can make it available to me.
My gut feeling is that the problem lies in the file itself: what appears to be sequential to you (when you look at the final InDesign file, for instance as a PDF) is not necessary stored sequentially inside the IDML.

Martina Simon
Martina Simon  Identity Verified
Francja
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

francuski > niemiecki
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
InDesign and Inx Oct 19, 2011

I worked with Inx-files, the former export-format of InDesign and the order was always okay. But I used Trados 2007 which does not support IDML.
Why should it be different in Trados Studio with IDML for instance. But the question asked by Dominique is very good and I invite everybody who has experience with translating IDML-Files to tell how and with which tool he proceeds.

Martina Simon
Martina Simon  Identity Verified
Francja
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

francuski > niemiecki
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Experience Dec 5, 2011

First of all I would like to thank for the answers. I know have translated a whole catalogue in idml-files with Wordfast pro and it worked fine. The order is in fact not the one you see in the corresponding pdf-files and sometimes the segmentation is a little bit enoying. But at the end the result is very satisfying. Client sent me the translated idml-files back in pdf and they looked almost perfectly. There were just some small layout problems I think due to the fact that german version had no... See more
First of all I would like to thank for the answers. I know have translated a whole catalogue in idml-files with Wordfast pro and it worked fine. The order is in fact not the one you see in the corresponding pdf-files and sometimes the segmentation is a little bit enoying. But at the end the result is very satisfying. Client sent me the translated idml-files back in pdf and they looked almost perfectly. There were just some small layout problems I think due to the fact that german version had not the same length as french version.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Pro and IDML-files

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Pastey
Your smart companion app

Pastey is an innovative desktop application that bridges the gap between human expertise and artificial intelligence. With intuitive keyboard shortcuts, Pastey transforms your source text into AI-powered draft translations.

Find out more »