Pop-up with glossary terms takes ages
Autor wątku: Nicola Jane
Nicola Jane
Nicola Jane
Wielka Brytania
Local time: 10:30
niderlandzki > angielski
Dec 12, 2011

When I am using WF Classic, I often have at least one active glossary on the go. The problem occurs when a source word occurs in two or more glossaries at the same time. I use CTRL + ALT + ARROW DOWN to insert the relevant glossary term into the target segment and a pop-up should appear offering the two alternatives. The problem is that this pop-up box takes AGES to appear. While I am waiting for the pop-up, my screen is completely suspended, NUM LOCK goes on and off (message appears on screen) ... See more
When I am using WF Classic, I often have at least one active glossary on the go. The problem occurs when a source word occurs in two or more glossaries at the same time. I use CTRL + ALT + ARROW DOWN to insert the relevant glossary term into the target segment and a pop-up should appear offering the two alternatives. The problem is that this pop-up box takes AGES to appear. While I am waiting for the pop-up, my screen is completely suspended, NUM LOCK goes on and off (message appears on screen) and I cannot continue. This has occurred on many files and is not a one-off.

I have contacted the WF hotline and followed their suggestions but nothing helped (deleted the .ini file and started again, deleted normal.dot and rewrote glossary files as unicode).

This really is a nuisance as it holds up the translation process considerably.

Any advice gratefully received.

Nicky.
Collapse

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
Wielka Brytania
francuski > angielski
+ ...
Change the position of the glossaries Dec 12, 2011

Hi Nicky,

I had this problem when I upgraded to Wordfast Classic 6 for some reason - it was fine before. However, I found that altering the position of my glossaries cured the problem. I had a very large glossary (28,000 terms) as Glossary 1, but when I switched it with my second glossary (7000 terms), the problem stopped. Don't ask me why, but it worked! Hope it works for you too... Also might be worth checking you've not got any * in your glossaries as a message sometimes pops up
... See more
Hi Nicky,

I had this problem when I upgraded to Wordfast Classic 6 for some reason - it was fine before. However, I found that altering the position of my glossaries cured the problem. I had a very large glossary (28,000 terms) as Glossary 1, but when I switched it with my second glossary (7000 terms), the problem stopped. Don't ask me why, but it worked! Hope it works for you too... Also might be worth checking you've not got any * in your glossaries as a message sometimes pops up warning you that that can slow the process down too.

Best of luck,

Claire
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:30
fiński > francuski
Try other versions of Word/Wordfast and/or another computer Dec 12, 2011

Nicola Jane wrote:
When I am using WF Classic, I often have at least one active glossary on the go. The problem occurs when a source word occurs in two or more glossaries at the same time. I use CTRL + ALT + ARROW DOWN to insert the relevant glossary term into the target segment and a pop-up should appear offering the two alternatives. The problem is that this pop-up box takes AGES to appear. While I am waiting for the pop-up, my screen is completely suspended, NUM LOCK goes on and off (message appears on screen) and I cannot continue. This has occurred on many files and is not a one-off.

You did not mention that this happens with Wordfast 6.01g and Word 2007. You may want to try other versions of Wordfast (eg. 6.02q) and/or Word (eg. 2010). You could also try it on another computer. I was not able to replicate the problem with Word 2003 and Word 2010, and Wordfast 6.01g and 6.02q.

The symptom about NumLock (which you did not mention on your report to the hotline) does provide a clue: what kind of keyboard do you use? Is this some kind of fancy / non-standard keyboard with a special driver? Or an external keyboard connected to a laptop. If so, you may want to try what happens with a "regular" keyboard. Try enabling the NoSendkeys command in PB.

Nicola Jane
Nicola Jane
Wielka Brytania
niderlandzki > angielski
NOWY TEMAT
@ Dominique Dec 12, 2011

Thanks for the suggestions.

I don't use a fancy keyboard, just a standard, wireless Microsoft keyboard.

As far as I can see, 6.01g is the latest version of WF available? Where would I find 6.02q?

I can't try Word 2010 as I don't have it.

Nicky.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:30
fiński > francuski
wireless = fancy Dec 12, 2011

Nicola Jane wrote:
I don't use a fancy keyboard, just a standard, wireless Microsoft keyboard.

I would still consider a wireless Microsoft keyboard closer to the fancy category, so if you have a "regular" keyboard somewhere, do try it to see if it makes a difference. And do try the NoSendkeys command (or FirstKeyControl) in Pandora's box.

Nicola Jane wrote:
As far as I can see, 6.01g is the latest version of WF available? Where would I find 6.02q?

Log in at wordfast.net, go to products > download and you will see a link to the beta version on the right-hand side of the window,

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pop-up with glossary terms takes ages

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »