WordfastPro demo mode on Macbook - Suggestions in target text are made in source language!!!
Autor wątku: Filipa Plant dos Santos
Filipa Plant dos Santos
Filipa Plant dos Santos  Identity Verified
Portugalia
Local time: 04:37
portugalski > angielski
Dec 16, 2011

Hi Everyone

I'm new to Cat tools, but have been using the WordfastPro demo mode program for about 1 month now, and have been doing small translations on it, to get the hang of it.

I have downloaded (and read!!) the manual, and also have taken the intro webinar course that is available on Proz.

But I have two problems:

1) So far, even when phrases that I have already translated come up again, nothing is suggested, no fuzzy matches, nothing. I k
... See more
Hi Everyone

I'm new to Cat tools, but have been using the WordfastPro demo mode program for about 1 month now, and have been doing small translations on it, to get the hang of it.

I have downloaded (and read!!) the manual, and also have taken the intro webinar course that is available on Proz.

But I have two problems:

1) So far, even when phrases that I have already translated come up again, nothing is suggested, no fuzzy matches, nothing. I know that I have TMs, I have checked and with each translation, these get bigger, so I have them, but.......

2) Sometimes as I'm typing in the target language, a pop-up-box appears with a suggestion - in the source language!!! It's not offering me brand names or other similar phrases, but verbs etc. Why is it suggesting these things in the source and not the target?

I have a Macbook Pro with OSX 10.6.8

I only work from Portuguese into English, so all my Projects and TMs are always PT-ENG, there's no possibility that I have chosen the wrong direction.

I also (Now!!) always check that I have selected a TM and a TL for each translation.

Any hints would be most gratefully received!!!

Filipa XX
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:37
fiński > francuski
things to check Dec 16, 2011

Filipa Plant dos Santos wrote:
1) So far, even when phrases that I have already translated come up again, nothing is suggested, no fuzzy matches, nothing. I know that I have TMs, I have checked and with each translation, these get bigger, so I have them, but.......

Have you performed a concordance search (called TM Lookup in Wordfast Pro) in order to verify the fuzzy match you expect is indeed in the TM?
You could lower your fuzzy threshold from the default 75% in order to increase the likelihood of receiving fuzzy matches.
Do provide an example of a new source segment to be translated for which you don't get any match, and of a source segment in the TM that should yield a match (according to you).

2) Sometimes as I'm typing in the target language, a pop-up-box appears with a suggestion - in the source language!!! It's not offering me brand names or other similar phrases, but verbs etc. Why is it suggesting these things in the source and not the target?

That feature is usually triggered by numbers and capitalized words, based on the assumption numbers usually don't need to be translated and that capitalized words tend to be proper nouns (that also don't need to be translated). If your source language includes lots of source words that do need to be translated, then the feature is not useful, in which case you can disable it.

Filipa Plant dos Santos
Portugalia
portugalski > angielski
NOWY TEMAT
Ok - I will check! Dec 16, 2011

I will check these through tonight - kids arriving home soon!

Also - what is the name of the feature that I could disable, the one with the pop-up-box?

Thank you for taking the time to reply!!!!

Filipa XX

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:37
fiński > francuski
Autocomplete Dec 17, 2011

Also - what is the name of the feature that I could disable, the one with the pop-up-box?

Wordfast Pro calls it Autocomplete: select Edit > Preferences > Translations and untick 'Active Autocomplete'.

http://www.wordfast.com/WFP2/Translating_in_a_project/Enabling_translation_options.htm

Filipa Plant dos Santos
Portugalia
portugalski > angielski
NOWY TEMAT
Will disable Autocomplete Dec 17, 2011

I'll give it a try - thank you!!!

I'll let you know how I get on!

Filipa XX

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WordfastPro demo mode on Macbook - Suggestions in target text are made in source language!!!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »