Error message "TMname.txt should be closed"
Autor wątku: Kjell Thornes
Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:26
fiński > francuski
more suggestions Sep 19, 2012

Catherine Bolton wrote:
Yes. I installed 6.03t last week and it still keeps doing it. Now I've unticked the preview thing, rebooted, and after an hour it happened again: "TMname.txt should be closed". The TMs are on C.
There is no rhyme or reason. Sometimes it happens with a small TM, others with a big one. Same thing for the files, some long, some short. There are no pictures or tables in my files. Strictly text.
The crashes happen when I try to close the message. Word gets relaunched and miraculously it all works (for a bit).

Then, I'm puzzled. Looks like some program is accessing your TM. Try using Unlocker (as mentioned in another post) to identify that program. Just in case: make sure your antivirus is not scanning your TM in real-time (TM's and glossaries should be excluded from real-time scanning, as there's no way they can catch viruses).

Catherine Bolton wrote:
Where do I need to look?

See typical locations of common files in Windows.

Catherine Bolton wrote:
One thing I have noticed - and it did this with the old version but also the latest one - is that when I click on the far right button to go to clean up, nothing happens. I need to close WF with the middle button and then reopen. Again, though, not always. It seems to be pretty random.

Lots of strange things seem to be going on on your laptop. I haven't seen the "TMname.txt should be closed" message being reported for a very long time.

Catherine Bolton
Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:26
włoski > angielski
+ ...
In Memoriam
Thanks for your help Sep 20, 2012

Hi Dominique,
Thanks very much for your help. I've gotten rid of the normal.dot and wordfast.ini, so I hope that solve the problem.
Thanks again and I'll keep you posted!
Catherine

Colin Bowles
Colin Bowles  Identity Verified
Brazylia
Local time: 00:26
portugalski > angielski
Wf Memory message problem Sep 24, 2012

This morning I had same problem with new Word file I recvd to translate. Got round it by copying and pasting contents of doc to a brand new Word file. Then message disappeared. Am running WF 6.03t, Word 2003 and Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

Colin.

Catherine Bolton wrote:

Hi Dominique,
Thanks very much for your help. I've gotten rid of the normal.dot and wordfast.ini, so I hope that solve the problem.
Thanks again and I'll keep you posted!
Catherine

Catherine Bolton
włoski > angielski
+ ...
In Memoriam
Update Sep 24, 2012

I followed Dominique's instructions and the problem is gone. Thanks again!
Catherine

Colin Bowles
Brazylia
portugalski > angielski
Memory problem Sep 24, 2012

Catherine,

Interestingly, the problem only occurred with the new Word file I received this morning. With other files I had already been working on, it didn't arise. I wonder whether the problem is related to something in the format (?) of the Word document?

Colin.

Catherine Bolton wrote:

I followed Dominique's instructions and the problem is gone. Thanks again!
Catherine

Dominique Pivard
fiński > francuski
Possible causes for "...should be closed" error message Sep 24, 2012

Colin Bowles wrote:
Interestingly, the problem only occurred with the new Word file I received this morning. With other files I had already been working on, it didn't arise. I wonder whether the problem is related to something in the format (?) of the Word document?

The same "...should be closed" error message was reported on a post to the Finnish mailing list earlier this afternoon. The version used was 6.03t, it was not the preview feature, but it turned out files (document + TM) were on a remote network drive. When the user rebooted her computer, she was able to carry on without problems. What probably happened is that the files switched to read-only mode at some point, probably because of a temporary network problem. Maybe it was the same with the file you received today: how did you open it? by first copying the file to your drive first? or by double-clicking the file attachment in your e-mail program? did you check whether the document was protected, or in read-only mode? It was probably protected in some way, which you were able to solve by copy/pasting the content in a new document.

Catherine Bolton
włoski > angielski
+ ...
In Memoriam
Spoke too soon Sep 24, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Colin Bowles wrote:

The same "...should be closed" error message was reported on a post to the Finnish mailing list earlier this afternoon. The version used was 6.03t, it was not the preview feature, but it turned out files (document + TM) were on a remote network drive. When the user rebooted her computer, she was able to carry on without problems. What probably happened is that the files switched to read-only mode at some point, probably because of a temporary network problem. Maybe it was the same with the file you received today: how did you open it? by first copying the file to your drive first? or by double-clicking the file attachment in your e-mail program? did you check whether the document was protected, or in read-only mode? It was probably protected in some way, which you were able to solve by copy/pasting the content in a new document.

It just happened again, after five days of trouble-free translating. Not sure what the problem is. I have the latest version, made the suggested changes, never work from a remote drive and have removed the preview.
I'll keep you posted ...
Catherine

Colin Bowles
Brazylia
portugalski > angielski
Memory message Sep 24, 2012

Dominique,

I can't remember how I opened the file, but I think it was directly from the e-mail. Anyway, the problem disappeared when I copied and pasted the contents to another brand new document.

The problem seems to be reproducible as I have just tried opening the original document and get the same message, but can work happily away with other documents.

Definitely seems to be related to a specific Word document.

Catherine: do you get
... See more
Dominique,

I can't remember how I opened the file, but I think it was directly from the e-mail. Anyway, the problem disappeared when I copied and pasted the contents to another brand new document.

The problem seems to be reproducible as I have just tried opening the original document and get the same message, but can work happily away with other documents.

Catherine: do you get the error message with other Word files?

Colin.

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Colin Bowles wrote:

Collapse

Catherine Bolton
włoski > angielski
+ ...
In Memoriam
Various Word files Sep 24, 2012

Colin Bowles wrote:

Catherine: do you get the error message with other Word files?

Colin.

I had it with various Word files. No rhyme or reason. I had already downloaded the latest WF version. Then I deleted the files Dominique suggested and unticked the preview function and it all worked fine. Now it suddenly happened again (after five trouble-free days), but at least Word didn't crash
Catherine

Dominique Pivard
fiński > francuski
Can you send the document? Sep 24, 2012

Colin Bowles wrote:

Can you send me the source document as you received it, and tell me at what point the "...should be closed" problem occurred in Wordfast, so I could try to reproduce it on my side?

Colin Bowles
Brazylia
portugalski > angielski
Memory message Sep 24, 2012

Dominique, The message doesn't occur at a specific point in the document. When I open the document, as soon as I click on the Wordfast icon in the top left of the screen to start Wordfast, I get the memory message.

As am sure you will appreciate, confidentiality issues make sending the document difficult.

Colin.

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Colin Bowles wrote:

Can you send me the source document as you received it, and tell me at what point the "...should be closed" problem occurred in Wordfast, so I could try to reproduce it on my side?

Dominique Pivard
fiński > francuski
Anonymize document Sep 25, 2012

Colin Bowles wrote:
As am sure you will appreciate, confidentiality issues make sending the document difficult.

Yes, I understand that. However, you can easily anonymize your document using the following find/replace operation:

Find what: [a-z]
Replace with: x
Wildcard: ticked

Your document will then look like this:

Catherine Bolton
włoski > angielski
+ ...
In Memoriam
Still happening after a trouble-free period Oct 24, 2012

Hi Dominique,
I eliminated the files you suggested (normal.dot and wordfast.ini) and things went smoothly for a while. Now it's happening again.
Am I supposed to eliminate these files monthly (and have to redo my settings)? Is this normal? It just crashed Word again, second time this week. Plus once last week. If the last time is anything to go by, it will start to happen daily.
I have the latest version of WF Classic, Word 2010 and Windows 7.
Thanks,
Catherine

Catherine Bolton
włoski > angielski
+ ...
In Memoriam
I guess WF is not following this thread anymore Oct 29, 2012

I've had no response and it keeps happening.
Catherine

Catherine Bolton wrote:

Hi Dominique,
I eliminated the files you suggested (normal.dot and wordfast.ini) and things went smoothly for a while. Now it's happening again.
Am I supposed to eliminate these files monthly (and have to redo my settings)? Is this normal? It just crashed Word again, second time this week. Plus once last week. If the last time is anything to go by, it will start to happen daily.
I have the latest version of WF Classic, Word 2010 and Windows 7.
Thanks,
Catherine

Dominique Pivard
fiński > francuski
No more ideas Oct 29, 2012

Catherine Bolton wrote:
I've had no response and it keeps happening.

Unfortunately, I've run out of ideas. All I can say is that this message shouldn't show up in normal conditions, on a clean Office setup and with a regular Word document.

By "clean" Office setup, I mean a freshly installed Office with no other third-party templates than Wordfast, and with a fresh normal.dotm.

By "regular" Word document, I mean a well-behaved document created in Word, not one coming from some PDF converter or the like.

My experience is that Word doesn't crash repeatedly for no good reason.

Stron w wątku:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Error message "TMname.txt should be closed"

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »