WF Anywhere: is OpenDocument format really supported?
Autor wątku: esperantisto
esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:29
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

angielski > rosyjski
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Feb 27, 2012

In Wordfast Anywhere, when I click File → Upload Document File, I see View allowed file formats in the dialog box. When I click the link, I get a drop-down list listing, inter alia, OpenDocument Text and Spreadsheet files (ODT and ODS respectively). When I try to upload and ODS file, it’s mostly allright, I can translate and download the translated file (for some reason I fail to understand, I g... See more
In Wordfast Anywhere, when I click File → Upload Document File, I see View allowed file formats in the dialog box. When I click the link, I get a drop-down list listing, inter alia, OpenDocument Text and Spreadsheet files (ODT and ODS respectively). When I try to upload and ODS file, it’s mostly allright, I can translate and download the translated file (for some reason I fail to understand, I get an ODS and an XLS file actually, file names in Cyrillic are garbled, but I can survive it). But whenever I try to upload an ODT file, I get a message:

filter: Error converting from ODT to DOC

This issue reproduces with any ODT file created by OpenOffice.org 3.3.0 (in Windows and Linux)/LibreOffice 3.4.4 (also in Windows and in Linux)/LibreOffice 3.5 portable (in Windows).

So, the questions are:
1) Is ODT really supported?
2) Why would WFA need to make any conversion of ODT to DOC (and ODS to XML), in spite of OpenDocument being a fully transparent XML-based (thus, easily parsible) format?
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
fiński > francuski
Tentative explanation Feb 27, 2012

esperantisto wrote:
2) Why would WFA need to make any conversion of ODT to DOC (and ODS to XML), in spite of OpenDocument being a fully transparent XML-based (thus, easily parsible) format?

I don't know. Here is what the developer wrote in April 2011, when WFA 1.3.3 was introduced:

The Open Office formats ODT and ODS has been added for translation. But note that they are converted first to DOC and XLS. In consequence, for the download you will received both ODT+DOC or ODS+XLS in a zip file.

AFAIK, WFA hasn't got its own filters, it uses WFP's filters. And since WFP hasn't got filters for OpenOffice formats, the conversion to DOC and XLS was a quick & dirty way to support them in WFA. At least, that's how I see it, but it would be best to ask the developer on the WFA list.

esperantisto
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

angielski > rosyjski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
SITE LOCALIZER
Thanks for the pointer Feb 27, 2012

Thanks! I did not know that WFA has its own Yahoo! group and considered the WFC and WFP ones inappropriate, thus, posted here. I see, you’ve called to this thread in this group, so, hopefully, someone will answer.

Kristyna Marrero
Kristyna Marrero  Identity Verified
USA
Local time: 05:29
Członek ProZ.com
od 2007

Temporary Problem Feb 29, 2012

Hi,

This may have been a temporary problem with our server. Have you tried to upload the file again? If you are still experiencing the same errors, could you send me the file so that I can have our support team investigate - [email protected]

Sincerely,

Kristyna

esperantisto
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

angielski > rosyjski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
SITE LOCALIZER
Any file Mar 1, 2012

Dear Kristyna,

Thanks for your reply. As I mentioned, this problem reproduces with any ODT file and still persists (checked one minute ago). Well, I’ll send a short testcase file. Nonetheless, the core problem is that WFA goes along the weird way of conversion of OpenDocument (open and clear XML-based format) to DOC/XLS (obscure, half-binary, closed format) instead of direct parsing.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WF Anywhere: is OpenDocument format really supported?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »