Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finlandia
Local time: 10:20
Członek ProZ.com
od 2003

fiński > niemiecki
+ ...
Mar 26, 2012

Is it possible to change the directory where WFC saves txt-files like cleanup- and analysis-reports. They are all in the startup-folder of Word, but I don't like that very much.
I tried to save manually, but that does not change the settings. Probably this is not possible?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Holandia
Local time: 09:20
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

angielski > afrikaans
+ ...
Yes Mar 26, 2012

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
Is it possible to change the directory where WFC saves txt-files like cleanup- and analysis-reports.

In Pandora's Box:
ReportFolder="C:\MyFolder"
(without an underscore)

neilmac
neilmac
Hiszpania
hiszpański > angielski
+ ...
Learning something new every day Mar 26, 2012

So that's where they disappear to! I've always wondered.
Now I have a question: Does it matter? I mean, is it a drawback if these files are stored there, and what are the implications?
I'm serious, as my computer knowledge is limited to basic user level.

Catherine GUILLIAUMET
Catherine GUILLIAUMET  Identity Verified
angielski > francuski
+ ...
In Memoriam
By project and/or client Mar 26, 2012

neilmac wrote:

So that's where they disappear to! I've always wondered.
Now I have a question: Does it matter? I mean, is it a drawback if these files are stored there, and what are the implications?
I'm serious, as my computer knowledge is limited to basic user level.

Hi,

What I can say is that, on my computer (XP), WFC always want to save the following into "Modèles"
- Analysis report
- Clean-Up
- TMs
- Glossaries

This really gets on my nerves, BUT :
When saving the above, instead of accepting that they go in this #?!!!*##¤ "Models" file, I ask Windows to save them into the Client file and/or the Client>Project>Document sub-files.

It is a little time-consuming and very boring, but I don't know what to do otherwise.

If activating :
In Pandora's Box:
ReportFolder="C:\MyFolder"
as recommended by Samuel, what exactly does "MyFolder" correspond to ? To "Mes documents" ? But then, it is too vague, I mean it does not go in the appropriate file/sub-file, am I right or not ?

PS : To answer Neilmac questions, accepting that Windows stores all those files altogether in an unique file without any connection with such or such project/client, in my opinion it means a big mess and difficulties and time-wasting to find one given report when you need it some months later for instance.

Have a nice day
Catherine

[Edited at 2012-03-26 08:19 GMT]

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
włoski > niemiecki
+ ...
That is puzzling!:-) Mar 26, 2012

I have never bothered, as WFC saves its reports where they belong, i.e. in the folder where the original file is stored, and I don't remember I ever have setup something like that.

Just out of curiosity, I checked the PB, and the comand Report_Folder="C:\MyFolder" is disabled. So where does my WF know from where to save correctly the reports?

Samuel Murray
Holandia
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

angielski > afrikaans
+ ...
No, "MyFolder" is an example Mar 26, 2012

Catherine GUILLIAUMET wrote:
If activating ReportFolder="C:\MyFolder" as recommended by Samuel, what exactly does "MyFolder" correspond to? To "Mes documents"?

No, it is just an example. If you want your reports to be stored in "C:\My Documents\My Files", then your Pandora's Box switch should be: ReportFolder="C:\My Documents\My Files".

Samuel Murray
Holandia
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

angielski > afrikaans
+ ...
Where my WFC saves them Mar 26, 2012

When saving the above, instead of accepting that they go in this #?!!!*##¤ "Models" file, I ask Windows to save them into the Client file and/or the Client>Project>Document sub-files.
It is a little time-consuming and very boring, but I don't know what to do otherwise.

I have the same thing. My WFC saves reports in the TEMPLATES folder of MS Word. Whenever a report is generated, it opens in MS Word anyway, so you can just hit F12 and save it in the location where you want to save it. I also find it annoying, but at least it is predictable. I don't have the ReportFolder in PB enabled.

Catherine GUILLIAUMET
Catherine GUILLIAUMET  Identity Verified
angielski > francuski
+ ...
In Memoriam
Thanks a lot, Samuel Mar 26, 2012

Samuel Murray wrote:

I have the same thing. My WFC saves reports in the TEMPLATES folder of MS Word. Whenever a report is generated, it opens in MS Word anyway, so you can just hit F12 and save it in the location where you want to save it. I also find it annoying, but at least it is predictable. I don't have the ReportFolder in PB enabled.

Yes, thanks a lot ! So, I see that WFC behaves the same way with everybody.

Thanks also for this word "templates". It's Monday morning and I'm not completely awake

Moreover, I am experiencing severe difficulties with my Internet DSL box which has been refusing to display summer time since yesterday, so there's a true desynchronization between the computer and the box

Have a nice day
Catherine

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
fiński > francuski
How does Wf know Mar 26, 2012

Christel Zipfel wrote:
Just out of curiosity, I checked the PB, and the comand Report_Folder="C:\MyFolder" is disabled. So where does my WF know from where to save correctly the reports?

If it doesn't know, it uses folders that are found on all PC's, ie. the Startup folder or the Templates folder. The exact location depends on the version being used (previous versions used the Startup folder, the current version uses the Templates folder).

Enabling ReportFolder= is a good idea IMO, even if you don't plan to keep the reports or are not interested in them at all in the first place: it's easier to get at them (in order to delete them) if they are in an easily accessible folder created by you.

Angel Llacuna
Angel Llacuna  Identity Verified
Hiszpania
angielski > hiszpański
what is the file extension .. May 24, 2012

of the reports generated by WordFast Classic ? I cannot find the reports on my Windows 7 computer.

Dominique Pivard
fiński > francuski
The file extension is .DOC May 25, 2012

galone_es wrote:
of the reports generated by WordFast Classic ? I cannot find the reports on my Windows 7 computer.

The file extension of the reports created by Wordfast Classic is .DOC, but they are in fact text files. In other word, you can change the extension to .TXT and open them in Notepad, something you couldn't do if they were "real" Word documents.

In Windows 7, your reports probably end up in:

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates

If you can't access that folder, see:

http://www.wordfast.net/?kb=178-32
http://www.wordfast.net/?kb=179-21

Dominique Pivard
fiński > francuski
Exact location depends on Wordfast version May 25, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:
In Windows 7, your reports probably end up in:

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates

This is with version 6.01 to 6.03. If you are using an older version, the reports may be found in the Startup folder. Just run a report and use File > Save as to see where Word would store them by default.

Angel Llacuna
Angel Llacuna  Identity Verified
Hiszpania
angielski > hiszpański
I am using WF Classic version 5.90x May 25, 2012

it seems the reports are saved on the same folder where the original text resides.
What is the full path to the Startup folder you mention ?

Dominique Pivard
fiński > francuski
Path to Startup folder May 25, 2012

galone_es wrote:
What is the full path to the Startup folder you mention ?

At the risk of repeating myself:

http://www.wordfast.net/?kb=178-32
http://www.wordfast.net/?kb=179-21

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WFC saves files in Startup-folder

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »