Wordfast Update failed
Autor wątku: Aaron Kakesse
Aaron Kakesse
Aaron Kakesse  Identity Verified
Kanada
Local time: 05:25
angielski > francuski
Apr 1, 2012

I am trying to install a new Wordfast update on my Laptop (OS: Windows 7) as suggested to no avail. As I already removed the older version, I cannot use WF anymore. Whenever I try to launch this is the message I am getting: ''Could not find the main class: C:\Users\Aaron KD\Deskto\wordfast\jre\bin\javaw.exe. Programme will exit."

What do I do now? I am really disappointed.

Aaron

RWS Community
RWS Community
Wielka Brytania
Local time: 11:25
angielski
I'm also disappointed... Apr 1, 2012

... so my suggestion for what you do now would be you switch to SDL Trados Studio instead

Regards

Paul

Karin Seelhof
Karin Seelhof  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:25
angielski > niemiecki
+ ...
I am not quite sure Apr 2, 2012

but I think, I remember that I didn't uninstall the old version when I did an update?

Maya Gorgoshidze
Maya Gorgoshidze  Identity Verified
Gruzja
Local time: 13:25
Członek ProZ.com
od 2004

angielski > gruziński
+ ...

Hi Aaron, Apr 2, 2012

I moved your thread to the WordFast support forum.

Kind regards,
Maya

Aaron Kakesse
Kanada
angielski > francuski
NOWY TEMAT
Wordfast Update failed Apr 2, 2012

I am really disappointed by this WF pro technical failure. I switched from Trados to WF Pro now do I need to switch back?

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:25
fiński > francuski
Path for installation Apr 2, 2012

Aaron Kakesse wrote:
I am trying to install a new Wordfast update on my Laptop (OS: Windows 7) as suggested to no avail. As I already removed the older version, I cannot use WF anymore. Whenever I try to launch this is the message I am getting: ''Could not find the main class: C:\Users\Aaron KD\Deskto\wordfast\jre\bin\javaw.exe. Programme will exit."

This is a very unusual path: did you really choose your Desktop as the location of Wordfast? The "normal" location on a Windows 7 machine would be "C:\Program Files" (or "C:\Program Files (x86)").

Place a query to the Wordfast hotline (via wordfast.net > about us > contact). Even if you don't have a valid subscription, installation problems are always covered by the hotline.

Aaron Kakesse
Kanada
angielski > francuski
NOWY TEMAT
Some clients require WF Pro Apr 2, 2012

I am also a SDL Trados user, but some of my clients specifically require Wordfast Pro as a CAT. The update process should be straight-forward: you click on the update, and that's it. Now, I am having a lot of trouble working with my recurring clients with WF Pro. I contacted WF Pro hotline but nothing has come up in 10 days, and still counting!
I thought this software was user-friendly, I am disillusioned.

Dominique Pivard
fiński > francuski
A suggestion Apr 2, 2012

Here is a suggestion: remove completely *all* traces of Wordfast Pro. This includes the following folder:

C:\Users\[your_user_name]\.wf_workspace

and of course the Wordfast folder, wherever you created it (normally, it should be in c:\program files, but you seem to have placed it on your Desktop).

Then reinstall from Wordfast_WithTMAdmin-2.4.4.exe

Also check your Java setup is OK. You can do it
... See more
Here is a suggestion: remove completely *all* traces of Wordfast Pro. This includes the following folder:

and of course the Wordfast folder, wherever you created it (normally, it should be in c:\program files, but you seem to have placed it on your Desktop).

Also check your Java setup is OK. You can do it at www.java.com: click on 'Do I have Java?', then 'Verify Java version'. You should get the following message: 'Your Java version: Version 6 Update xx'.
Collapse

Aaron Kakesse
Kanada
angielski > francuski
NOWY TEMAT
Thank you Dominique Apr 2, 2012

Hello Dominique,

You are my hero. I am glad I posted this message on the Forum. I spent almost 10 days without WFP, and WF technical support didn't solve my problem at all.
Dude, you are a genius! You made my day!

Thank you so much.

Aaron

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Also check your Java setup is OK. You can do it at www.java.com: click on 'Do I have Java?', then 'Verify Java version'. You should get the following message: 'Your Java version: Version 6 Update xx'.

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egipt
angielski > arabski
.wf_workspace & Wordfast Support Apr 2, 2012

Dear Aaron,

I am happy that deleting .wf_workspace has solved your problem.

However, it is completely unfair to say that you have not received a reply from the Wordfast Support.

I had a very long email exchange with you. If you review it, you will find that among solutions offered at the very beginning was to delete your .wf_workspace (and install Java).

You were so confused and I told you that you have to finish your job first and get back to
... See more
Dear Aaron,

I am happy that deleting .wf_workspace has solved your problem.

However, it is completely unfair to say that you have not received a reply from the Wordfast Support.

I had a very long email exchange with you. If you review it, you will find that among solutions offered at the very beginning was to delete your .wf_workspace (and install Java).

You were so confused and I told you that you have to finish your job first and get back to me later to solve the problem again, but it was me who did not hear back from you.

Everyone here knows how Wordfast Support works. So, kindly do not be so unfair.

For your information Dominique is part of Wordfast Support. So, it is Wordfast Support that solved your problem anyhow.

Again, I am happy you have solved your problem.

Kind regards,
Yasmin

[Edited at 2012-04-02 12:56 GMT]
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

angielski > rosyjski
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Whose failure? Apr 2, 2012

Aaron Kakesse wrote:

I am really disappointed by this WF pro technical failure.

Why do you call it WFP failure? It looks like a failure of your operating system (and of yours for selecting it). I use a good operating system and have never had any problem updating WFP.

Dominique Pivard
fiński > francuski
In all fairness... Apr 2, 2012

Aaron Kakesse wrote:
You are my hero. I am glad I posted this message on the Forum. I spent almost 10 days without WFP, and WF technical support didn't solve my problem at all.

Well, glad you were able to solve your problem, but as Yasmin said, it's not fair to blame Wordfast's tech support. I did check with her when I saw your post here, because what you reported sounded very unusual (responses to WFP queries tend to be very fast). I did not invent anything: all of what I suggested is part of the standard troubleshooting routine when dealing with WFP installation problems. I'm pretty sure you got the same advice from Yasmin earlier on.

Aaron Kakesse
Kanada
angielski > francuski
NOWY TEMAT
The frustration is over Apr 2, 2012

Time to move on with our respective work.
I am very glad this has been solved.

Cheers.

Aaron
Dominique Pivard wrote:

Aaron Kakesse wrote:

Well, glad you were able to solve your problem, but as Yasmin said, it's not fair to blame Wordfast's tech support. I did check with her when I saw your post here, because what you reported sounded very unusual (responses to WFP queries tend to be very fast). I did not invent anything: all of what I suggested is part of the standard troubleshooting routine when dealing with WFP installation problems. I'm pretty sure you got the same advice from Yasmin earlier on.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Update failed

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »