exporting TMs out of Wordfast Classic into Trados
Autor wątku: Karen Henry
Karen Henry
Karen Henry  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:21
francuski > angielski
Jul 11, 2012

I've searched the forums and looked on the WF site but I can't find any help for this. I can't see anything obvious in the WF TM window either. The only solution I've found is to download Olifant which apparently does it for you but I haven't tried this yet as I'm sure that there must be an easier way! Thanks for any advice

Tony M
Tony M
Francja
Członek ProZ.com
francuski > angielski
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Try reading the WF manual Jul 11, 2012

I have an elderly version of WF, so some details may have changed but it does explain how to use the TM editor functions to export a W/F TM to TMX format.

The TM/Glossary editor
Click the "TM/Glossary editor" icon in Wordfast's main toolbar, or the last icon in any of the glossary toolbars to start the TM/Glossary editor. Outside a translation session, glossary toolbars can be opened using the Ctrl+Alt+Right shortcut (and closed using the Ctrl+Alt+Left shortcut). During a tr
... See more
I have an elderly version of WF, so some details may have changed but it does explain how to use the TM editor functions to export a W/F TM to TMX format.

The TM/Glossary editor
Click the "TM/Glossary editor" icon in Wordfast's main toolbar, or the last icon in any of the glossary toolbars to start the TM/Glossary editor. Outside a translation session, glossary toolbars can be opened using the Ctrl+Alt+Right shortcut (and closed using the Ctrl+Alt+Left shortcut). During a translation session, the Ctrl+Alt+G shortcut pressed on a word or selection will open the glossary toolbar(s) of the glossary(ies) where the term was found. Glossary toolbars open only on glossaries that were specified in Wordfast/Terminology.

Wordfast's TM/Glossary editor is intended to make maintenance easy and intuitive, and offers practically identical methods for TMs and glossaries. Once the editor is opened, you can scroll up/down the data, edit/delete/add entries.

The editor's Filter or Sort dialog box (Press F7 or click the column header are) gives access to three types of operation on data: Filter, Sort and Special filters.

Special filters are meant to perform operations that would be difficult or impossible to perform with just filtering and sorting. These operations are:

Export to TMX (TM only) Exports the current file to the TMX format. The TM is not overwritten - a new file is created, and it has a .tmx extension.

Note that apparently even once you have created a TMX-format TM, when attempting to import it into another CAT tool, you may need to create a fresh, blank TM first, then import the W/F-generated one into this.

All these details can be found in the W/F manual (I assume this is still true for the more recent versions)
Collapse

Karen Henry
francuski > angielski
NOWY TEMAT
Thanks Tony Jul 12, 2012

I have got the manual and I did read it but I obviously skipped over that bit at the time! I really didn't think about looking at that, to be honest I'd forgotten all about it - I'll have another look, thanks.

pcovs
pcovs
Dania
angielski > duński
I never got that thing to work Jul 12, 2012

so I simply took the bilingual Word file from Wordfast Classic and ran it through Translator's Workbench.

In Wordfast Pro 3, there is an option to export the TM as TMX, and this works, but I cannot recall if Classic has any such option?

Tony M
Tony M
Francja
Członek ProZ.com
francuski > angielski
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I sympathize! Jul 13, 2012

Although generally I like Wordfast Classic and appreciate its intuitiveness, what stopped me from using it for a long time was the impenetrable nature of the manual! Although Yves has tried very hard to make it thorough and comprehensive, and the .DOC format does have the advantage of being Ctrl-F searchable, the big snag is that it does presuppose prior familiarity with many of the terms used; it is also far too indigestible to read and assimilate in one go, yet that's what you need to do if yo... See more
Although generally I like Wordfast Classic and appreciate its intuitiveness, what stopped me from using it for a long time was the impenetrable nature of the manual! Although Yves has tried very hard to make it thorough and comprehensive, and the .DOC format does have the advantage of being Ctrl-F searchable, the big snag is that it does presuppose prior familiarity with many of the terms used; it is also far too indigestible to read and assimilate in one go, yet that's what you need to do if you even want to get started. I would like to see a 'quick start guide' suitable for newcomers to CAT, with internal hyperlinks to the more detailed articles later in the main body of the manual.

Having investigated this question for myself some time ago, I vaguely remembered that I'd read it somewhere, so when your query came in, I did a Ctrl-F search on 'TMX', which did eventually take me to the required section.

PCovs wrote:
In Wordfast Pro 3, there is an option to export the TM as TMX, and this works, but I cannot recall if Classic has any such option?

It is certainly mentioned in the generation 5 version I use, and the facility seems to be available, though I have not yet had feedback from my customer as to whether it actually worked or not! However, the fact that it is tucked away very counter-intuitively in the TM editor under 'Sort' and 'Special filters' certainly makes it impossible to find unless you know just where to go and look for it!

[Edited at 2012-07-13 12:17 GMT]
Collapse

Karen Henry
francuski > angielski
NOWY TEMAT
It worked! Jul 13, 2012

Tony wrote:
the impenetrable nature of the manual!

You're right I think it would have taken me a long time to find this! It worked thanks a million!

Tony wrote:
the big snag is that it does presuppose prior familiarity with many of the terms used; it is also far too indigestible to read and assimilate in one go

I did take the time to read the manual right the way through and I found that I could do the basic things and use Wordfast quite easily - I also watched the videos while practising on the program at the same time. As you mention a lot of the vocab used meant nothing to me at the time - hence the reason why I probably didn't assimilate the info on exporting TMs as I didn't know what that meant at the time! I think it's a gradual learning process, where practice makes perfect, and it's important to go back to the manual from time to time until the penny will drops! Or of course, pay out for the training if you can afford it!

Tony wrote:
I would like to see a 'quick start guide' suitable for newcomers to CAT, with internal hyperlinks to the more detailed articles later in the main body of the manual.

Good idea!

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
Wielka Brytania
Local time: 00:21
niemiecki > angielski
+ ...
Another solution (for future reference) Jul 13, 2012

There's a standalone program (i.e. just put the file somewhere on your computer and run it when you want to use it) for converting in both directions between TMX and WF TMs; it's called Wf2Tmx.exe, available in the Wordfast Yahoo Group. I have used it once or twice. It was introduced by Samuel Murra... See more
There's a standalone program (i.e. just put the file somewhere on your computer and run it when you want to use it) for converting in both directions between TMX and WF TMs; it's called Wf2Tmx.exe, available in the Wordfast Yahoo Group. I have used it once or twice. It was introduced by Samuel Murray to ProZians here:

http://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/117476-help_convert_txt_to_tmx.html

The file is available from the files section of the group:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/wordfast/

Oliver
Collapse

Karen Henry
francuski > angielski
NOWY TEMAT
Thanks I'll look at that! Jul 14, 2012

Oliver Walter wrote:

There's a standalone program (i.e. just put the file somewhere on your computer and run it when you want to use it) for converting in both directions between TMX and WF TMs; it's called Wf2Tmx.exe, available in the Wordfast Yahoo Group. I have used it once or twice. It was introduced by Samuel Murray to ProZians here:

http://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/117476-help_convert_txt_to_tmx.html

The file is available from the files section of the group:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/wordfast/

Oliver

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

exporting TMs out of Wordfast Classic into Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »