Wordfast Pro: Create curly apostrophes automatically?
Autor wątku: Matthew Butt
Matthew Butt
Matthew Butt
Local time: 08:36
francuski > angielski
+ ...
Nov 23, 2012

I've always used Wordfast Classic because it's so user-friendly. However I now have a project coming in which will require me to use Wordfast Pro, due to the file formats involved, so I've started practising with WfP in preparation.

The only problem I've encountered so far is with the way it handles apostrophes in my target language (UK English) segments. Quotes are fine - I've got "smart quotes" enabled and they're curly, as they should be. However, the apostrophes all come out str
... See more
I've always used Wordfast Classic because it's so user-friendly. However I now have a project coming in which will require me to use Wordfast Pro, due to the file formats involved, so I've started practising with WfP in preparation.

The only problem I've encountered so far is with the way it handles apostrophes in my target language (UK English) segments. Quotes are fine - I've got "smart quotes" enabled and they're curly, as they should be. However, the apostrophes all come out straight, and I want those to be curly too, to match the quotation marks.
Is there a setting I need to change somewhere?

(This used to be a problem in WfC if I had the "Protect Delimiters" setting higher than 1, but I don't think any such option exists in WfP.)

Matthew
Collapse

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
USA
Local time: 03:36
angielski > francuski
+ ...
Stick with WfC! Nov 23, 2012

This video will explain how: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XdUvWGbQog

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:36
fiński > francuski
Workaround: Autohotkey Nov 23, 2012

Back when Wordfast Pro didn't have the smart quote feature, I made a video explaining how to use an Autohotkey macro to convert straight quotes into the smart quotes used in French:

http://youtu.be/VPt2leh1KiA?hd=1

That macro is no longer needed for quotes, but it also converted straight apostrophes into curly apostrophes, so that part of the macro could still be used as a worka
... See more
Back when Wordfast Pro didn't have the smart quote feature, I made a video explaining how to use an Autohotkey macro to convert straight quotes into the smart quotes used in French:

http://youtu.be/VPt2leh1KiA?hd=1

That macro is no longer needed for quotes, but it also converted straight apostrophes into curly apostrophes, so that part of the macro could still be used as a workaround.

The video is in French (because it was made specifically for people translating into French), but you should get the idea and the macro code is included in the description field below the video.
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
fiński > francuski
Using WFP to translate in WFC Nov 23, 2012

JL01 wrote:
This video will explain how: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XdUvWGbQog

Please note that the method described in the video is not officially supported by Wordfast. People using it do so at their own risk and should not request nor expect support from the Wordfast Hotline. They can of course ask their questions (if any) on peer-to-peer forums such as this one.

Matthew Butt
Matthew Butt
francuski > angielski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Thanks - will try the Autohotkey approach Nov 24, 2012

Thanks, folks, for your input. I'll give the Autohotkey approach a try and see how I get on.
JL01, I'd stick with WfC if I could, but for this job I have to work with Indesign files. It will be good to bring myself up to speed on this version, but I think I'll still be faster with what I know.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

angielski > rosyjski
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Why some autoreplace… Nov 25, 2012

…when you can have it with a good keyboard layout?

Matthew Butt
Matthew Butt
francuski > angielski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Extended UK keyboard doesn't seem to have curly apostrophes. Nov 26, 2012

esperantisto wrote:

…when you can have it with a good keyboard layout?

Thanks for your input. Unfortunately, I don't understand Russian. I don't think curly apostrophes are available on the extended UK keyboard layout I use.

Matthew Butt
Matthew Butt
francuski > angielski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Still not fully automatic, unfortunately. Nov 26, 2012

Thanks for the AutoHotKey link. I've taken a look at the video, and it's certainly one approach. I suppose I was just hoping for something completely automated, like the smart quotes, rather than something which requires an additional step during text entry.

Bree Salmon
Bree Salmon  Identity Verified
Japonia
Local time: 16:36
japoński > angielski
Not saying anything new, but.. Nov 26, 2012

After outputting the translated files, I have been just doing a "Replace All" for apostrophes in Word and Excel documents. For PowerPoint files, I just curse loudly.

-Captain Obvious

Matthew Butt
Matthew Butt
francuski > angielski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Cursing loudly Nov 26, 2012

Bree Salmon wrote:

After outputting the translated files, I have been just doing a "Replace All" for apostrophes in Word and Excel documents. For PowerPoint files, I just curse loudly.

-Captain Obvious

LOL

My problem is that I'm translating an InDesign (INX) file, so I don't have the means to look at the finished file after translation. It's very scary!

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egipt
angielski > arabski
WFP Find/Replace Nov 26, 2012

[Hopefully, I avoid being cursed!]

I think one can find-replace it in WF Pro TXML Editor, cannot you?

Kind regards,
Yasmin

Matthew Butt
Matthew Butt
francuski > angielski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
I'll investigate TXML editor. Nov 27, 2012

Thanks, Yasmin. I'll investigate the TXML editor. I'm very new to all of this, so there's still a lot for me to explore. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egipt
angielski > arabski
WFP Find-Replace Nov 27, 2012

Matthew Butt wrote:

Thanks, Yasmin. I'll investigate the TXML editor. I'm very new to all of this, so there's still a lot for me to explore. Thanks for the suggestion.

Dear Matthew,

The TXML Editor is where you translate in WF Pro; it is the first thing you see when you open WF Pro.

Press Ctrl+H to open the Find-Replace dialogue.
Type or copy what you need to find in the field "Find".
Type or copy what you need to get in the field "Replace with".
Make sure you select the option "Target" from the section "Scope".
Click "Find" to test your search, and when you are sure it is OK, you can click "Replace All".

I hope this helps. Please let me know.

Kind regards,
Yasmin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Pro: Create curly apostrophes automatically?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Pastey
Your smart companion app

Pastey is an innovative desktop application that bridges the gap between human expertise and artificial intelligence. With intuitive keyboard shortcuts, Pastey transforms your source text into AI-powered draft translations.

Find out more »