Autor wątku: Nathanael Hewitt
Nathanael Hewitt
Nathanael Hewitt  Identity Verified
Kanada
Local time: 15:25
hiszpański > angielski
+ ...
Dec 18, 2012

My wordfast (6.03t on Word 2010 running on Windows 8) suddenly will not retrieve translations.

The "test" button returns a blank box and, when translating, the target language box just says "GT waiting for server". I tested on another internet source, same thing. I also restarted, same thing. I even downloaded the latest Beta Wordfast 6.04u TE, same thing again. I also tried changing the Google API key, but still the same problem. Any ideas?

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:25
fiński > francuski
Things to try Dec 19, 2012

Have you tested your Google Translate API key in other tools, eg. Wordfast Anywhere or MemSource? Have you tested other MT providers, like Microsoft Translator or Worldlingo? Have you tried it on another computer?

Nathanael Hewitt
Kanada
hiszpański > angielski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Tried the suggestions, still nothing Dec 19, 2012

Thanks Dominique for your reply. I just tried the other providers and get the same "waiting for server" message and the same blank box when I click "test". I then tried my Google API in Wordfast on another computer (running Word 2007, Wordfast 6.03t, Windows Vista) and it works.

So, it appears the problem is specific to my computer. I just remembered that a few days ago I applied some Microsoft updates. I'll undue them and see if it helps?

Any comments would be appreci
... See more
Thanks Dominique for your reply. I just tried the other providers and get the same "waiting for server" message and the same blank box when I click "test". I then tried my Google API in Wordfast on another computer (running Word 2007, Wordfast 6.03t, Windows Vista) and it works.

So, it appears the problem is specific to my computer. I just remembered that a few days ago I applied some Microsoft updates. I'll undue them and see if it helps?

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
fiński > francuski
'Help' button or delete WebMT entries from .ini Dec 19, 2012

Nathanael Hewitt wrote:

Try pressing the 'Help' button (under the '?' tab), then 'OK': this should force Wordfast to retrieve MT settings from its server.

If this doesn't work, delete the lines that start with "WebMT" in your .ini file. To locate that file, see http://www.wordfast.net/?kb=178-32

You can also copy the lines that start with "WebMT" from the .ini of your other computer (the one in which MT works).

Nathanael Hewitt
Kanada
hiszpański > angielski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
System restore worked, but... Dec 19, 2012

I did a system restore and now all is working well. So, I'm sure I'll want to continue updating Windows for security, etc.

Is there a recommended way to find out what created the problem so that I can restore (maybe a way that wont take all day to perform

Thanks.

Nathanael Hewitt
Kanada
hiszpański > angielski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Back to nothing Dec 19, 2012

Success was very short lived, the "test" worked a few times. Now, I have the same problem again. Blank "test" box and "waiting for server" in target boxes.

Tried "help" button, nothing. Tried deleting the WebMT lines, nothing. Tried copying WebMT lines from the other working computer, nothing.

When I copied the lines over, the first "test" worked. So I went to translate but the target line showed "GT waiting for server". I then went back to settings again and did "test
... See more
Success was very short lived, the "test" worked a few times. Now, I have the same problem again. Blank "test" box and "waiting for server" in target boxes.

Tried "help" button, nothing. Tried deleting the WebMT lines, nothing. Tried copying WebMT lines from the other working computer, nothing.

When I copied the lines over, the first "test" worked. So I went to translate but the target line showed "GT waiting for server". I then went back to settings again and did "test" again, testing "black cat". It returned the translation of the segment I had just tried to translate. Then, further "tests" just return the blank "test" box.

[Edited at 2012-12-19 19:31 GMT]
Collapse

Nathanael Hewitt
Kanada
hiszpański > angielski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Autocomplete makes it work Dec 19, 2012

Well, I removed and re-installed Wordfast - I got one target segment and then it stopped again.

Then, I discovered that ticking the "let autocomplete suggest" box in "setup" "AC" makes Google MT work. But, of course, this means I have to choose a segment to populate the target box. I don't like this and never had to do it before. I highly prefer that the Google MT populates the target box automatically, like I did before. Why would this suddenly be happening, and only on this compu
... See more
Well, I removed and re-installed Wordfast - I got one target segment and then it stopped again.

Then, I discovered that ticking the "let autocomplete suggest" box in "setup" "AC" makes Google MT work. But, of course, this means I have to choose a segment to populate the target box. I don't like this and never had to do it before. I highly prefer that the Google MT populates the target box automatically, like I did before. Why would this suddenly be happening, and only on this computer?
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
fiński > francuski
Start with a fresh .ini Dec 19, 2012

Nathanael Hewitt wrote:

Try deleting your .ini altogether (Wordfast will create a new one from scratch), then re-enter your API key. If that still doesn't work, something is preventing that particular computer from talking with the outside world. That could be a firewall, a faulty network adapter etc.

Dominique Pivard
fiński > francuski
AC highly recommended Dec 19, 2012

Nathanael Hewitt wrote:
Then, I discovered that ticking the "let autocomplete suggest" box in "setup" "AC" makes Google MT work. But, of course, this means I have to choose a segment to populate the target box. I don't like this and never had to do it before. I highly prefer that the Google MT populates the target box automatically, like I did before. Why would this suddenly be happening, and only on this computer?

AC is the recommended mechanism for using MT, if only because it allows you to use more than one MT provider: if you have decided to pay for using Google Translate, why wouldn't you use it together with Microsoft Translator, which is similar in terms of quality and is free? It can't hurt to have a "second opinion".

If you want the target segment to be systematically populated by Google Translate, switch to Wordfast Pro or Anywhere, which both let you do this.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MT just says "waiting for server"

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »