Problems with glossary
Autor wątku: Kate Ferguson
Kate Ferguson
Kate Ferguson  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:00
francuski > angielski
+ ...
Feb 5, 2013

I downloaded the trial version of Wordfast Classic 6.03t onto a new computer (Windows 7, Office 10, working with standard .doc Word documents). The TMs work fine but any time I try to add a word to a glossary Word crashes. Even worse, if I add a previously created glossary to Wordfast not only does it not recognise the entries but the glossary gets wiped. I deleted Wordfast from my computer and added Wordfast Classic 5. To begin with the glossary worked but then at some point I noticed that the ... See more
I downloaded the trial version of Wordfast Classic 6.03t onto a new computer (Windows 7, Office 10, working with standard .doc Word documents). The TMs work fine but any time I try to add a word to a glossary Word crashes. Even worse, if I add a previously created glossary to Wordfast not only does it not recognise the entries but the glossary gets wiped. I deleted Wordfast from my computer and added Wordfast Classic 5. To begin with the glossary worked but then at some point I noticed that the glossary, to which I had been adding entries, was completely empty. I tried with Wordfast Classic 4 but Word again crashes when I try to add entries to the glossary. Has anyone else encountered similar problems or does anyone have any ideas how I might fix it?

Thanks,

Kate
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Holandia
Local time: 01:00
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

angielski > afrikaans
+ ...
UTF8 vs UTF16LE Feb 5, 2013

Kate Ferguson wrote:
...but the glossary gets wiped.

WFC wants the glossary to be in "Unicode" format (i.e. UTF16LE). Some versions of WFC will wipe a glossary if it isn't in that format. For example, WFP saves glossaries as UTF8, which would cause that behaviour. Open your glossary in MS Word and resave it as "Unicode".

Kate Ferguson
francuski > angielski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
No change Feb 5, 2013

Thanks for your reply. I checked to make sure that the glossary was saved as unicode (it was), tried again and Word still crashes

[Edited at 2013-02-05 11:10 GMT]

Sabine Deutsch
Sabine Deutsch  Identity Verified
Francja
francuski > niemiecki
+ ...
Same here Feb 5, 2013

I have the same problem (Wf Classic 6.03t, Mac OS 10.6.8) - whenever I try to add a word to a glossary, Word crashes and the Glossary is empty after reorganisation. Any help would be much appreciated.

Sabine

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
fiński > francuski
Try the beta version (6.05) Feb 5, 2013

Sabine Deutsch wrote:
I have the same problem (Wf Classic 6.03t, Mac OS 10.6.8) - whenever I try to add a word to a glossary, Word crashes and the Glossary is empty after reorganisation. Any help would be much appreciated.

Give the beta version (6.05) a try, I believe it takes care of the glossary wiping issue.

Kate Ferguson
francuski > angielski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Thanks! Feb 5, 2013

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Give the beta version (6.05) a try, I believe it takes care of the glossary wiping issue.

Thanks Dominique, have had a quick try and it seems to work - thank you!

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
fiński > francuski
Good to know! Feb 5, 2013

Kate Ferguson wrote:
Thanks Dominique, have had a quick try and it seems to work - thank you!

You're welcome! Keep in mind it's a beta version, although I'm using it in production without adverse effects. You can subscribe to the WFC beta mailing list if you need to report problems with it.

Kate Ferguson
francuski > angielski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Glossary still being wiped :( Feb 8, 2013

Kate Ferguson wrote:

have had a quick try and it seems to work - thank you!

Unfortunately even with the beta version my glossaries get wiped. I again tried loading other versions but word either crashes or the glossary gets wiped. Does anyone have any more ideas of how to solve this?

Sabine Deutsch
Sabine Deutsch  Identity Verified
Francja
francuski > niemiecki
+ ...
For me it works Feb 8, 2013

Thank you very much, for me it works fine with Version 6.05b, no more glossaries get wiped.
Sabine

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with glossary

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »