WFC 6.03t can't add terms to gloss?
Autor wątku: Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
Francja
Local time: 09:25
francuski > angielski
Feb 26, 2013

CTRL+ALT+T is not working here! This is my 2nd day on my new setup, Windows 8, Word 2007, WFC 6.03t. The key combination brings up the proper menu to add terms to the glossary, I verified that "add to glossary 1" is checked, hit ok... and it never gets recorded.

Is this a known issue?

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:25
fiński > francuski
Try my "ZZ Top" workaround! Feb 26, 2013

Lori Cirefice wrote:
CTRL+ALT+T is not working here! This is my 2nd day on my new setup, Windows 8, Word 2007, WFC 6.03t. The key combination brings up the proper menu to add terms to the glossary, I verified that "add to glossary 1" is checked, hit ok... and it never gets recorded.

Is this a known issue?

I think it is, and it has been fixed at some point in the beta version. If you prefer to stay with the public release (which would be my recommendation), you may want to try my "ZZ Top" workaround: open your glossary file (the one with the .txt extension) in a text editor (eg. Notepad) and add a dummy entry with "ZZ Top" as source and target at the very end. It will stay there after reorganization (which sorts glossary entries by alphabetical order based on source terms). This should cause all new term pairs added via Ctrl+Alt+T to actually make it to the glossary.

If it works, remember to thank the long-bearded Texans! If not, well, you'll only have lost a couple of minutes of your precious time.

Lori Cirefice
Francja
francuski > angielski
NOWY TEMAT
Issue solved Feb 26, 2013

Thanks for giving me a smile Dominique and your quick reply, unfortunately ZZ Top did not save this day this time... I tried that first and it didn't work

Reading through some other forum posts on glossary issues with this version, I checked the encoding of mine and it turns out it was ANSI instead of UTF-8. Changed to UTF-8 and it is accepting new terms now. Phew.

Dominique Pivard
fiński > francuski
ANSI vs. Unicode Feb 26, 2013

Lori Cirefice wrote:
Thanks for giving me a smile Dominique and your quick reply, unfortunately ZZ Top did not save this day this time... I tried that first and it didn't work

Reading through some other forum posts on glossary issues with this version, I checked the encoding of mine and it turns out it was ANSI instead of UTF-8. Changed to UTF-8 and it is accepting new terms now. Phew.

OK, good to know you could solve your problem, even without ZZ Top!

ANSI are legacy glossaries created with very old versions of Wordfast. For at least 3-4 years, new glossaries and TM's have been created as Unicode by default. Btw, I think Unicode in Wordfast means UTF-16, not UTF-8. You can convert your legacy ANSI stuff to Unicode via the Data Editor.

Lori Cirefice
Francja
francuski > angielski
NOWY TEMAT
Old and new Feb 26, 2013

Yes, I just made the leap from ancient 5.52 to 6.03, it was somewhat unplanned! I thought I had my trusty 5.52 .dot somewhere on my backup drive, but somehow it wasn't there (probably because it was in the Word startup file which wasn't backed up when my computer died).

You are right about UTF-16, apparently the post I was referring to was actually about WFP and not WFC? Anyhow, UTF-8 seems to be working ok for my purposes at the moment...

This was actually a new proj
... See more
Yes, I just made the leap from ancient 5.52 to 6.03, it was somewhat unplanned! I thought I had my trusty 5.52 .dot somewhere on my backup drive, but somehow it wasn't there (probably because it was in the Word startup file which wasn't backed up when my computer died).

You are right about UTF-16, apparently the post I was referring to was actually about WFP and not WFC? Anyhow, UTF-8 seems to be working ok for my purposes at the moment...

This was actually a new project-specific glossary I created just today (via Excel), not sure why it was in ANSI

I will keep your advice in mind for my other glossaries and TMs, thanks!
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
fiński > francuski
Excel, Unicode Feb 27, 2013

Lori Cirefice wrote:

This was actually a new project-specific glossary I created just today (via Excel), not sure why it was in ANSI

I was referring to TM's and glossaries created in Wordfast, via the Create TM and Create glossary buttons.

If you create a glossary in Excel, the encoding will depend on the file type used when saving as text: if you select Text (Tab delimited) (not recommended), you will probably get ANSI; if you select Unicode Text (recommended), you will get, well, Unicode. That will be UTF-16, btw, which is fine for Wordfast.

You can find more information on creating glossaries from Excel or Word tables on the wiki at:

http://wordfast.net/wiki/Using_Excel_or_Word_Glossaries

Note that you can use three columns (if so, the third one will be for comments), although the instructions tell you to use two columns.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WFC 6.03t can't add terms to gloss?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »