Holandia
Local time: 09:27
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

angielski > afrikaans
+ ...
Mar 14, 2013

G'day everyone

A conversation between multiple people is developing in the TXML file that I have just received back from a client. I would like to comment on some of the things that other people have said in the "notes", but I find working inside the Notes feature in Wordfast Pro to be very cumbersome. I'd much rather write my notes in MS Word or Excel. Is there a way to export (a) just the notes, or (b) the segments with notes and their notes, or (c) everything, including the no
... See more
G'day everyone

A conversation between multiple people is developing in the TXML file that I have just received back from a client. I would like to comment on some of the things that other people have said in the "notes", but I find working inside the Notes feature in Wordfast Pro to be very cumbersome. I'd much rather write my notes in MS Word or Excel. Is there a way to export (a) just the notes, or (b) the segments with notes and their notes, or (c) everything, including the notes, to Excel or Word format?

Thanks
Samuel
Collapse

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
Francja
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

francuski > angielski
+ ...
Export notes please! Mar 16, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:

G'day everyone

A conversation between multiple people is developing in the TXML file that I have just received back from a client. I would like to comment on some of the things that other people have said in the "notes", but I find working inside the Notes feature in Wordfast Pro to be very cumbersome. I'd much rather write my notes in MS Word or Excel. Is there a way to export (a) just the notes, or (b) the segments with notes and their notes, or (c) everything, including the notes, to Excel or Word format?

Thanks
Samuel

Dear Samuel,

Thanks for bringing this up. I've been requesting this for years. I hope the developers grant our wishes!

Would be great to be able to export notes to an excel spreadsheet from the Notes window in the TXML Perspective AND include notes in the comments field when exporting for bilingual review.

Thanks!

John Di Rico
Wordfast Trainer
www.apextra.net

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egipt
Local time: 10:27
angielski > arabski
Bilingual Review Mar 16, 2013

Dear Samuel and John,

(b) the segments with notes and their notes, or (c) everything, including the notes, to Excel or Word format?

I see that the Bilingual Review feature can do that. You can even Export and Import back. I assume that both of you know the feature.

If you keep the option "Exclude the notes column" checked, the WFP notes will be included as Word comments; if you uncheck it, the WFP notes will be included in a third column.

I hope this helps. Please let me know.

Kind regards,
Yasmin

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
Francja
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

francuski > angielski
+ ...
Works! Mar 26, 2013

Thanks Yasmin!

Indeed, seems to be working now; the last time I tested it didn't.

Great

John

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turcja
Local time: 10:27
angielski > turecki
+ ...
it works but Mar 27, 2013

All notes are not exported, e.g. if you have several notes in a segment only the last one is exported.

So the multiple notes or different types (text, important, question) features are not useful in bilingual review.

I would use Notepad++ to export/add comments. It should be easy even with a basic knowledge of regex.

Selcuk

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Holandia
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

angielski > afrikaans
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Oh, well... Mar 27, 2013

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:
All notes are not exported, e.g. if you have several notes in a segment only the last one is exported.

Oh, well, in the case that prompted my question there were indeed several notes (from multiple authors) in some of the segments. It can't be useful if only the last comment is visible (e.g. "I disagree for the reason previously mentioned" or e.g. "I agree with John but disagree with Mary in this segment" (without seeing also what John and Mary wrote)).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I export the notes in Wordfast Pro?

Pastey
Your smart companion app

Pastey is an innovative desktop application that bridges the gap between human expertise and artificial intelligence. With intuitive keyboard shortcuts, Pastey transforms your source text into AI-powered draft translations.

Find out more »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »