Can I import a bilingual rtf file into WFP for revision?
Autor wątku: Dagmar Gamper
Dagmar Gamper
Dagmar Gamper  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 03:25
Członek ProZ.com
od 2009

angielski > niemiecki
+ ...
Mar 21, 2013

Hi all
I just got a revision project and the client sent the translated files in bilingual rtf format along with a tmx file with the TM. Is there a way to import the rtf files into WFP and use the TM so it will be updated after revision? And of course I should be able to export the revised files back into bilingual rtf.
I would very much appreciate your suggestions
Best regards
Dagmar Gamper

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finlandia
Local time: 10:25
Członek ProZ.com
od 2003

fiński > niemiecki
+ ...
I don't think so Mar 21, 2013

Ask your client if he knows it can be done and how. But you could use WFC for this easily.

Dagmar Gamper
Chile
Członek ProZ.com
od 2009

angielski > niemiecki
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Thanks for your suggestion Mar 21, 2013

Best regards
Dagmar

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Holandia
Local time: 09:25
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

angielski > afrikaans
+ ...
WFC Mar 21, 2013

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
Ask your client if he knows it can be done and how. But you could use WFC for this easily.

Yes, even if you don't have a WFC licence you should be able to use it to edit the file. You may not be able to clean the file but that is not what you're asking, right? You just want to edit it, am I right?

Dagmar Gamper
Chile
Członek ProZ.com
od 2009

angielski > niemiecki
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Yes Samuel Mar 21, 2013

this was the idea. Mainly to update the TM. I would actually prefer to revise in the rtf because I prefer the Duden Korrektor for additional accuracy.
Best regards
Dagmar

Linda Houd
Linda Houd  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:25
angielski > francuski
+ ...
Update TM after a file review Apr 19, 2013

Dear Dagmar,

If I understand well:
You want to incorporate back to your TM the changes you/an editor made to a translated document using the Bilingual review feature. Is that right?
If so, I’m afraid I can’t help you but it is also what I’ve been trying to do for a while… and it’s starting to drive me crazy… So if anyone has a solution, I’m more than up for it.
When I import back a reviewed document in WFP 3.1.4 via the Bilingual review feature, it �
... See more
Dear Dagmar,

If I understand well:
You want to incorporate back to your TM the changes you/an editor made to a translated document using the Bilingual review feature. Is that right?
If so, I’m afraid I can’t help you but it is also what I’ve been trying to do for a while… and it’s starting to drive me crazy… So if anyone has a solution, I’m more than up for it.
When I import back a reviewed document in WFP 3.1.4 via the Bilingual review feature, it “seems” to work and my TM “seems” to be updated with the changes because if I look for a segment from this very document, the amended match will come up.
But I want the reviewed translated segments to overwrite the previous ones in the TM because I want my future matches to come from the reviewed document, not from the old/non-reviewed one. And at the moment, for some reason, it’s not always the case (and I tried several times): sometimes I still get old matches when I do a search and I can’t get rid of them.

Would anyone know how I can make sure the translations from my reviewed document will overwrite the old ones?
I hope it’s clear…

Thanks a lot,
Liny
Collapse

Dagmar Gamper
Chile
Członek ProZ.com
od 2009

angielski > niemiecki
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Two solutions Apr 20, 2013

Hi Liny

that was not exactly my problem. I had rtf files which where created with another cat tool and needed to deliver the updated TM mainly.
So for this problem Yasmin offered the following solution:

Dear Dagmar,

If your client wants you to revise the bilingual RTF, they do not need the TM back as they can get it easily by cleaning up the document.

If they just need a TM, you can open the updated TMX in your WF Pro, pre-translate the d
... See more
Hi Liny

that was not exactly my problem. I had rtf files which where created with another cat tool and needed to deliver the updated TM mainly.
So for this problem Yasmin offered the following solution:

Dear Dagmar,

If your client wants you to revise the bilingual RTF, they do not need the TM back as they can get it easily by cleaning up the document.

If they just need a TM, you can open the updated TMX in your WF Pro, pre-translate the document in the PM Perspective, revise it, and then Export the TMX back.

This is a quick overview; please let me know if you need more details on either routes.

----
Best Regards,
Yasmin

This worked just fine for me in that case as my client was content with just receiving the revised/updated TM

In your scenario there are rtf files created by WFPro in order to revise them in bilingual review.
When you re-import them into WF you have to check if in :
Edit/Preferences/Translation Memory you have ticked the box:

When editing an existing TU:
Add to TM overwriting the existing TU (default)

Maybe this will help you. Please let me know if it does.
Additionally you should check if in:
Edit/Preferences/Translation/ Auto-Propagation is turned on and the box for 100% matches is ticked as well.

In the past I had the problem that old 100% matches were not updated throughout multiple files if I edited them in one file although I had propagation turned on but this was before the last update so maybe it works now.
Best regards
Dagmar

[Edited at 2013-04-20 16:19 GMT]
Collapse

Linda Houd
Linda Houd  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:25
angielski > francuski
+ ...
still not working Apr 22, 2013

Hi Dagmar,

thanks a lot for your help and suggestions.

I had already ticked the box "Add to TM by overwriting the existing TU". And I tried to tick as well the 100% matches box in the Auto-propagation section as you suggested.

I then deleted the original txml file in order to retranslate it: it does retrieve the newest matches (obtained after Review and committed previously to my TM when I re-imported the rtf document) but... strangely enough when I use the
... See more
Hi Dagmar,

thanks a lot for your help and suggestions.

I had already ticked the box "Add to TM by overwriting the existing TU". And I tried to tick as well the 100% matches box in the Auto-propagation section as you suggested.

I then deleted the original txml file in order to retranslate it: it does retrieve the newest matches (obtained after Review and committed previously to my TM when I re-imported the rtf document) but... strangely enough when I use the look-up feature to search for a segment from this document, it keeps retrieving the old matches as well as the new ones.

I don't understand why these old matches are sticking around, they make my TM a bit messy... I'll try with another document today and I'll see if the problem persists.

Best regards
Liny
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I import a bilingual rtf file into WFP for revision?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Pastey
Your smart companion app

Pastey is an innovative desktop application that bridges the gap between human expertise and artificial intelligence. With intuitive keyboard shortcuts, Pastey transforms your source text into AI-powered draft translations.

Find out more »