Latest version of Wordfast Pro (3.2.1) "not responding"
Autor wątku: Di Penney
Di Penney
Di Penney  Identity Verified
Wielka Brytania
Local time: 22:01
francuski > angielski
Aug 28, 2013

Has anyone else experienced problems since loading the latest 3.2.1 release of Wordfast Pro?
After installing it, I found that it kept hanging for several seconds ("not responding" in the title bar) every time I returned to the application after navigating to another window, and sometimes when moving between segments too. In desperation, I have reverted to the previous version 3.2.0.

John Daniel
John Daniel
Local time: 15:01
file size and memory preference Aug 28, 2013

How big was the file size that you were working with? TM and Glossary are they Remote or Local? Did you try increasing the memory in WFP?

Di Penney
Wielka Brytania
francuski > angielski
NOWY TEMAT
File sizes Aug 29, 2013

Thanks.
The files sizes were as follows:
Source document 36KB
First TM 28MB
Second TM 1.3MB
Glossary 1.7MB

No, I didn't increase the memory setting in the Memory Preferences option. However, on restoring 3.2.0 the problem went away completely.

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egipt
Local time: 00:01
angielski > arabski
Automatic TM Lookup Aug 31, 2013

Dear Di,

Do you have the option "Perform TM Lookup automatically" active under "Edit" menu "Preferences" > "Translation Memory"? If so, you can disable it and see if this helps. This feature is known to slow down the performance; however, I have a user who just reported that 3.2 is better (faster) than 3.2.1 when using mouse to move between segments while this option is active for the same files.

Kind regards,
Yasmin

[Edited at 2013-08-31 04:32 GMT]

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egipt
Local time: 00:01
angielski > arabski
Clean the TM Aug 31, 2013

Di Penney wrote:

First TM 28MB

Dear Di,

I would also like to suggest cleaning this TM by removing any duplicates or empty source/target segments. Also, it is better to save the TM with the encoding UTF-8 if it is not already.

To clean the TM, you can use Okapi Olifant:
http://okapi.sourceforge.net/applications.html

Check here "How to remove duplicates":
http://okapi.sourceforge.net/Release/Olifant/Help/howtos.htm

To remove duplicate entries, first you want to flag these entries:

- From the "Entries" menu, select the Flag Specific Entries command (or press Ctrl+E). This opens the Flag Specific Entries dialog box.
- In the Pre-defined conditions list, set the "Duplicate Source and Target" condition. You can also select other options such as "Source is empty", "Target is empty", and/or "Source is the same as Target".
- Make sure the option Reset flag before execute the selections is set.
- Click OK to close the dialog box and execute the command.
-When it is done, a dialog box displays the number of duplicated entries found.

Then, display only the flagged entries:

- Select the Set Filter for Flagged Entries command from the View menu.

Then, delete only the flagged entries:

- Select all displayed entries by pressing Ctrl+A.
- Delete the selected entries by pressing Delete.

I hope this helps. If you need further help with that, please contact me in private.

Kind regards,
Yasmin

Di Penney
Wielka Brytania
francuski > angielski
NOWY TEMAT
Thanks Yasmin, when can we expect a fix? Aug 31, 2013

Hi Yasmin,

Your diagnosis is absolutely correct: switching off the parameter "Perform TM Lookup automatically" does stop the screen freezing in v3.2.1 when I navigate with the mouse. However, I do prefer to use this feature, hence the fact that it's enabled! Can you please advise when a fix will be available.

My TM is fine, by the way. I already use Olifant to perform regular maintenance and keep my TMs as clean as a whistle...
See more
Hi Yasmin,

Your diagnosis is absolutely correct: switching off the parameter "Perform TM Lookup automatically" does stop the screen freezing in v3.2.1 when I navigate with the mouse. However, I do prefer to use this feature, hence the fact that it's enabled! Can you please advise when a fix will be available.

My TM is fine, by the way. I already use Olifant to perform regular maintenance and keep my TMs as clean as a whistle

Thanks,
Di
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Latest version of Wordfast Pro (3.2.1) "not responding"

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »