Esther Pugh  Identity Verified
USA
Local time: 01:12
Członek ProZ.com
od 2014

angielski > niemiecki
+ ...
Jun 18, 2014

Does anybody here on this board use Dragon or some other speech recognition software that allows you to dictate your text rather than type it?

I am interested in using it / or at least trying it in combination with Wordfast Anywhere. Is there a way you can "speak" your translation into the open target segment?

Or how would that work? Does it only work in word?

I know it's prone to errors, but after 8 hours of typing I sometimes feel like I need a little bre
... See more
Does anybody here on this board use Dragon or some other speech recognition software that allows you to dictate your text rather than type it?

I am interested in using it / or at least trying it in combination with Wordfast Anywhere. Is there a way you can "speak" your translation into the open target segment?

Or how would that work? Does it only work in word?

I know it's prone to errors, but after 8 hours of typing I sometimes feel like I need a little break, even if I have to correct some errors.
Collapse

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
Wielka Brytania
Local time: 06:12
francuski > angielski
+ ...
Works with Wordfast Classic Jun 18, 2014

Hi Esther,

I can't vouch for Wordfast Anywhere, but Dragon certainly works perfectly with Wordfast Classic. You just dictate into each segment and there are special commands in Pandora's box to automatically capitalise the first letter etc, so you don't even have to think about that. I also use it with Trados Studio which isn't Word-based and it's fine there too, so I don't see why it shouldn't be OK.

I've written at length about the benefits of Dragon (both in terms of
... See more
Hi Esther,

I can't vouch for Wordfast Anywhere, but Dragon certainly works perfectly with Wordfast Classic. You just dictate into each segment and there are special commands in Pandora's box to automatically capitalise the first letter etc, so you don't even have to think about that. I also use it with Trados Studio which isn't Word-based and it's fine there too, so I don't see why it shouldn't be OK.

I've written at length about the benefits of Dragon (both in terms of avoiding RSI and improved productivity) here: http://clairecoxtranslations.wordpress.com/2014/03/03/taming-the-dragon/ but don't hesitate to ask if you've any other queries.

Good luck - I really recommend it!

All the best,

Claire
Collapse

Esther Pugh
USA
Członek ProZ.com
od 2014

angielski > niemiecki
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Thanks and I"ll check out your article Jun 19, 2014

Thanks.

Sounds great.

They should come with headsets, right?

Is Dragon easy to install? I am not very talented when it comes to "installing" stuff.

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
Wielka Brytania
francuski > angielski
+ ...
Pretty straightforward Jun 19, 2014

Hi Esther,

It's ages since I installed it, but I don't recall any problems, so I think it was just a case of following simple instructions and off you go!

Good luck!

Claire

[Edited at 2014-06-19 14:25 GMT]

neilmac
neilmac
Hiszpania
Local time: 07:12
hiszpański > angielski
+ ...
Ditto Jun 19, 2014

Claire Cox wrote:

Hi Esther,

I can't vouch for Wordfast Anywhere, but Dragon certainly works perfectly with Wordfast Classic. You just dictate into each segment and there are special commands in Pandora's box to automatically capitalise the first letter etc, so you don't even have to think about that. ...

Good luck - I really recommend it!

All the best,

Claire

I agree - it works fine with WF Classic, but I don't know about the other WF versions. The Nuance after-sale customer service isn't great though, but there are plenty of forums.

neilmac
neilmac
Hiszpania
hiszpański > angielski
+ ...
Headsets not optimum Jun 19, 2014

Esther_P wrote:

Thanks.

Sounds great.

They should come with headsets, right?

Is Dragon easy to install? I am not very talented when it comes to "installing" stuff.

The headset that came with my copy of Dragon isn't very comfortable on my large, cabbage-like bonce, and it isn't fantastic technically either. I bought a Sennheiser headset and a Logitech and they're both better than the cheapos.

Installing Dragon is really easy, either from the CD or downloaded. Just follow the instructions and off you go!

neilmac
neilmac
Hiszpania
hiszpański > angielski
+ ...
Cringeworthy Jun 19, 2014

Claire Cox wrote:

Hi Esther,

It's ages since I installed it, but I don't recall any problems, so I think it was just a case of following simple instructions and off you go!

Good luck!

Claire

[Edited at 2014-06-19 14:25 GMT]

Just read our posts back and I reckon they should give us a discount for such glowing reviews!

Esther Pugh
USA
Członek ProZ.com
od 2014

angielski > niemiecki
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Thanks all! Jun 19, 2014

I agree re the discount.

Wow....I am excited now.
I hope they work with WFA, otherwise I'll have to upgrade, which will be inevitable at some point anyhow....

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
Wielka Brytania
francuski > angielski
+ ...
That would be nice but... Jun 19, 2014

neilmac wrote:

Just read our posts back and I reckon they should give us a discount for such glowing reviews!

Chance would be a fine thing! I've lost count of the number of people I've recommended Dragon to now, but many of them are now very satisfied customers!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dragon speech recognition combined with WFA

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »