Stron w wątku:   [1 2] >
Avast blocks wordfast - help needed!!!
Autor wątku: Maniutka
Maniutka
Maniutka
Local time: 07:23
angielski > polski
Aug 15, 2014

I've just prolonged my avast licence. And.... oops - it keeps blocking my wordfast (classic, ver 6). I've already sent info that it's a false alarm, but I don't have time to wait for their answer. On the other hand, I wouldn't like to turn off avast to be able to work. Have you ever had such a problem? How to overcome it?

Vladimir Nadj
Vladimir Nadj  Identity Verified
Serbia
angielski > serbski
Preferences - exception Aug 15, 2014

Look around the preferences, there should be an option for exceptions (it is mostly used for game trainers as they almost always return a false positive). Select the wordfast exe file as new exception and the problem should be solved.

If Avast can't do that, I suggest switching to AVG free edition.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:23
fiński > francuski
How to deal with false positive from anti-virus Aug 15, 2014

You may want to adapt the following instructions (made in 2010 for Avira, another anti-virus that falsely detected Wordfast as an virus) to Avast, if at all possible:

http://www.wordfast.net/?kb=151-21

Otherwise, you can replace Avast with Microsoft Security Essentials, a free anti-virus that works just as well and doesn't interfere with Wordfast.

Dušan Ján Hlísta
Dušan Ján Hlísta  Identity Verified
Słowacja
angielski > słowacki
+ ...
AvAST Internet Security Aug 15, 2014

Since today AVAST also blocked my wordfast.dot as virus infected. I hope that AVAST technical support helps me to resolve this problem ASAP!
(Another one bites the dust) Dušan Hlísta alias škopko

[Edited at 2014-08-15 11:12 GMT]

Dušan Ján Hlísta
Dušan Ján Hlísta  Identity Verified
Słowacja
angielski > słowacki
+ ...
only via Slovak titles of AVAST Aug 15, 2014

I found out "vírusová truhla" (?virus coffin?) and there I selected the wordfast.dot and via function "Odstrániť and pridať do výnimiek" (?remove and add to the exceptions?) and after restart of my PC is everything OK as in the past. Dušan Hlísta alias škopko

[Edited at 2014-08-15 12:24 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-08-15 12:25 GMT]

David Daduč (X)
David Daduč (X)
Czechy
angielski > czeski
Add wordfast.dot to exclusions in Avast Aug 15, 2014

I also hope the Avast team will soon update their virus definitions so that there are no false positives for Wordfast Classic. In the meantime, you can do the following:

Open the Avast user interface (typically by right-clicking the Avast icon in the system tray). Click Settings in the Avast window (left bottom corner). Select Active Protection on the left-hand side. Click the cogwheel icon (symbolizing settings) on the File System Shield line. Select Exclusi
... See more
I also hope the Avast team will soon update their virus definitions so that there are no false positives for Wordfast Classic. In the meantime, you can do the following:

Open the Avast user interface (typically by right-clicking the Avast icon in the system tray). Click Settings in the Avast window (left bottom corner). Select Active Protection on the left-hand side. Click the cogwheel icon (symbolizing settings) on the File System Shield line. Select Exclusions on the left-hand side. Access the empty field at the end of the existing list of exclusions and enter the following:

*\wordfast.dot

Make sure the first two check boxes (R and W) are activated there (I believe the third one is not necessary for Wordfast Classic to be left alone). Click OK to confirm all the Avast windows you have opened.

That's it! Now, Avast should not block wordfast.dot file whenever it detects it on your computer. You may need to re-install Wordfast Classic. I did all the above and it's working here

[Edited at 2014-08-15 16:24 GMT]
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Hiszpania
Local time: 06:23
Członek ProZ.com
od 2007

angielski
+ ...
Just getting it back from quarantine worked for me Aug 15, 2014

I really needed it so I just went into the list of files in the chest (can't recall the correct term); right-clicked on wordfast.dot; and got it back.

Seems to have worked OK though I'm relieved to hear that others have problems too. I' d wondered if I'd done something incredibly stupid, but now I think avast screwed up.

Flavio Granados F
Flavio Granados F  Identity Verified
Wenezuela
Local time: 01:23
angielski > hiszpański
Many thanks to David Daduč Aug 16, 2014

It works

Then this procedure, I right-clicked on wordfast pathway in Quarentine site, and I clicked on Restore in Contextual Menu. Done, then Wordfast standard installation method.

Thank you.

Bodil Meyer (X)
Bodil Meyer (X)  Identity Verified
duński > francuski
+ ...
And many thanks from a very happy woman!!! Aug 16, 2014

Shame on Avast! And many, many thanks for helping me get Wordfast Classic back! It worked once I had restarted the computer. Are we not lucky to have such clever people amongst us? I am eternally grateful to David!

[Edited at 2014-08-16 10:17 GMT]

David Daduč (X)
David Daduč (X)
Czechy
angielski > czeski
Glad it helped Aug 16, 2014

I'm glad it helped.

As for Avast: I'm sure they did not target Wordfast Classic intentionally. I believe anti-virus algorithms are very complex and false alarms simply happen. Of course, this one was quite bad for us, Classic Wordfasters.

I remember years ago another AV software treated Wordfast Classic as infected, so the story is not entirely new. Back then, it took weeks for the developers to update th
... See more
I'm glad it helped.

As for Avast: I'm sure they did not target Wordfast Classic intentionally. I believe anti-virus algorithms are very complex and false alarms simply happen. Of course, this one was quite bad for us, Classic Wordfasters.

I remember years ago another AV software treated Wordfast Classic as infected, so the story is not entirely new. Back then, it took weeks for the developers to update their virus definitions to make sure Classic was not seen as infected. I hope the Avast team will be able to update their virus definitions fast.
Collapse

David Baour
David Baour  Identity Verified
Szwajcaria
niemiecki > francuski
+ ...
Many thanks! Aug 16, 2014

Thank you very much David for your help and your reactivity! It's very precious!

Martine A-cou-lon
Martine A-cou-lon
Austria
angielski > francuski
+ ...
Wordfast blocked by Avast Aug 16, 2014

After having done, all the tips given, have you reinstalled wordfast?
Is it really necessary?

I didn't but I had to search the virus container (free version from avast) as Flavio said and restored the wordfast.dot. Then I deleted all the others dot (as avast made several wordfast.dot files in the container).

Thank you all for your support.

David Daduč (X)
David Daduč (X)
Czechy
angielski > czeski
Restore wordfast.dot from the chest, or download a fresh copy Aug 16, 2014

Yes, indeed, it is not necessary to download and install a fresh copy of Wordfast Classic after you add wordfast.dot in exclusions in Avast, as I mentioned above. You are right that you can go to Scan in Avast, click Quarantine /Virus Chest at the bottom of the window, and right-click and restore your original wordfast.dot file.

Still, if you want to download a fresh copy of Classic, you can do so. But you can find it difficult, due to Avast again. It may block the dow
... See more
Yes, indeed, it is not necessary to download and install a fresh copy of Wordfast Classic after you add wordfast.dot in exclusions in Avast, as I mentioned above. You are right that you can go to Scan in Avast, click Quarantine /Virus Chest at the bottom of the window, and right-click and restore your original wordfast.dot file.

Still, if you want to download a fresh copy of Classic, you can do so. But you can find it difficult, due to Avast again. It may block the download (the resulting file appears corrupted after download). To fix this, go to Settings in Avast, click Active Protection on the left-hand side. Click the cogwheel icon (symbolizing settings) on the Web Shield line. Click Exclusions on the left-hand side. Now, enter the following in the field for URLs to exclude:

http://www.wordfast.net/*

Click OK to close all Avast windows you have opened. That's it. You should now be able to successfully download Wordfast Classic from wordfast.net.

[Edited at 2014-08-16 19:00 GMT]
Collapse

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
Wielka Brytania
Local time: 06:23
włoski > angielski
Many thanks Aug 16, 2014

Many thanks David and Sheila

Alerted me to a problem I didn't realise I had. Better than finding it on a Monday morning!

Russell

David Daduč (X)
David Daduč (X)
Czechy
angielski > czeski
Avast seem to have fixed the problem already Aug 18, 2014

This morning, my Avast auto-updated its virus definitions (the version is 140817-1 now). I deactivated my Avast exclusions for Wordfast Classic, and the problem appears to be fixed! I can both download and run Classic. Kudos to Avast - that was fast.

You can check your virus definitions version in Settings / Update in Avast. If it's 140817-1 or higher, I hope the problem is solved for you as well. If you set up the exclusions for Wordfast Classic in Avast, I bel
... See more
This morning, my Avast auto-updated its virus definitions (the version is 140817-1 now). I deactivated my Avast exclusions for Wordfast Classic, and the problem appears to be fixed! I can both download and run Classic. Kudos to Avast - that was fast.

You can check your virus definitions version in Settings / Update in Avast. If it's 140817-1 or higher, I hope the problem is solved for you as well. If you set up the exclusions for Wordfast Classic in Avast, I believe you can deactivate them in Avast settings now.
Collapse

Stron w wątku:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Avast blocks wordfast - help needed!!!

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »