applying a penalty to an entire tmx file
Autor wątku: infactglobal
infactglobal
infactglobal
Local time: 07:27
Nov 4, 2014

Hello,

I have a huge tmx file with several errors in it (some due to mistakes, some due to changes in the client's vocabulary). I cannot manually delete the segments because there are over 700,000 segments in all.

My idea was to create a new tm, import the tmx to that new tm and apply a penalty rating of 99% match to all the matches from the old tm.

I have contacted Trados Support and they say it's not possible under Trados. But I think it is with wordfast
... See more
Hello,

I have a huge tmx file with several errors in it (some due to mistakes, some due to changes in the client's vocabulary). I cannot manually delete the segments because there are over 700,000 segments in all.

My idea was to create a new tm, import the tmx to that new tm and apply a penalty rating of 99% match to all the matches from the old tm.

I have contacted Trados Support and they say it's not possible under Trados. But I think it is with wordfast (funny, cheaper program to buy, but in some ways so much more complete...)

If you know of a solution I am all ears.

Thanks!
Cynthia
Collapse

Armorel Young
Armorel Young  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:27
niemiecki > angielski
Not sure, but ... Nov 4, 2014

If you know what the errors are, can you not simply correct them in the TM using find and replace?

infactglobal
infactglobal
NOWY TEMAT
too many Nov 5, 2014

Hi,
There are too many... The client has a list of about 10,000 terms. About 10% of those changed a few years back, and now the TM is mixed with new and old terminology. Plus the client works in several languages (our main pairs are EN to FR and FR to eN for this client) but the English they provide us with is translated from German by Germans who don't speak very good English. We reversed the TM once and now we have really bad FR to EN segments that are just plain wrong.
So the pro
... See more
Hi,
There are too many... The client has a list of about 10,000 terms. About 10% of those changed a few years back, and now the TM is mixed with new and old terminology. Plus the client works in several languages (our main pairs are EN to FR and FR to eN for this client) but the English they provide us with is translated from German by Germans who don't speak very good English. We reversed the TM once and now we have really bad FR to EN segments that are just plain wrong.
So the problem is extensive. I need that 99% penalty tool... I just hope it exists!!
Thanks!
Cynthia
Collapse

Richard Foulkes (X)
Richard Foulkes (X)  Identity Verified
Wielka Brytania
Local time: 06:27
niemiecki > angielski
+ ...
Would filtering by date work? Nov 5, 2014

Then you could just delete the segments that pre-date the terminology changes.

Or can you not do that because the client is still expecting discounts on segments they know to be outdated / incorrect?

infactglobal
infactglobal
NOWY TEMAT
filter to date. Nov 6, 2014

That won't work for me either... I wish it could be that simple. I just really need to import the tm with a penalty so that segments no longer appear as a 100% match in future translations, until I manually validate them.
Essentially, the entire TM needs to be proofed... and corrected.

[Edited at 2014-11-06 10:45 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

applying a penalty to an entire tmx file

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »