Cleaning a document in Wordfast
Autor wątku: barry fay
barry fay
barry fay  Identity Verified
Niemcy
Local time: 07:24
niemiecki > angielski
Nov 13, 2014

when I "quick clean" a translated document the resulting ".bak" document is the same as the "cleaned" document (The source language is removed just like the translated document.) How do I correct this?
Thanks

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:24
fiński > francuski
Do not rely on .bak Nov 13, 2014

barry fay wrote:
when I "quick clean" a translated document the resulting ".bak" document is the same as the "cleaned" document (The source language is removed just like the translated document.) How do I correct this?

The surest way to make sure you are left with an "uncleaned" (bilingual) version of the document you translated is to save it under another name before cleaning up, rather than relying on the .bak created by Wordfast.

If you renamed your .bak to .docx, but that document is not bilingual, I'm afraid the bilingual document is gone. If you kept a copy of the original source document, you can quickly retranslate it and obtain an uncleaned version.

I also recommend using the full-fledged clean-up function (under Tools in the Setup dialog box) rather than quick clean-up.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Kanada
Local time: 01:24
Członek ProZ.com
od 2008

francuski > angielski
+ ...
Hidden text Nov 13, 2014

barry fay wrote:

Thanks

Are you sure you have it set to view hidden text? The source language will be hidden and not visible unless you view the hidden text (click on the ¶ button).

barry fay
barry fay  Identity Verified
Niemcy
niemiecki > angielski
NOWY TEMAT
Thanks to John Fossey for the Hidden Text tip! Nov 13, 2014

John, you are obviously a genius! I clicked the "paragraph" symbol and, voila, there was the source text and the limiters! The advice from Dominique is also very useful

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Niemcy
niemiecki > angielski
difference between "clean" and "quick clean"? Nov 14, 2014

I always wondered why there was a "quick clean" function but not standard "clean", and now I know the answer: There is a standard "clean".

What is the difference?

And another question (the best answer may be a link to a previous discussion): I think that a lot of WordFast users do a final round of editing or correcting after cleaning their document. (My computer can be annoyingly slow when toggling between the target-text-only and the bilingual view. And this is the onl
... See more
I always wondered why there was a "quick clean" function but not standard "clean", and now I know the answer: There is a standard "clean".

What is the difference?

And another question (the best answer may be a link to a previous discussion): I think that a lot of WordFast users do a final round of editing or correcting after cleaning their document. (My computer can be annoyingly slow when toggling between the target-text-only and the bilingual view. And this is the only really reliable way to catch a lot of tag errors, extra spaces, and punctuation or numbers not included in any segment, etc.)

Is there a good way to fill my TM with the actual final version of my translation instead of the preliminary vesion at the point when I cleaned it?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cleaning a document in Wordfast

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »