Autor wątku: Oana Popescu
Oana Popescu
Oana Popescu  Identity Verified
Rumunia
Local time: 06:23
angielski > rumuński
+ ...
Jun 6, 2015

- My license (WF Pro + WF Classic) expires in 15 days, so I have to renew it soon
- I have WF installed on one desktop (Win XP) and one laptop (Win 7)
- I just bought a new laptop (Win 8.1) to replace the old one.

The license is valid for 2 workstations, so I can only use it on my desktop and one laptop (anyway, I will give away the old laptop). For the moment, I installed the demo version on the new one. I am still working on the old laptop for the current projects an
... See more
- My license (WF Pro + WF Classic) expires in 15 days, so I have to renew it soon
- I have WF installed on one desktop (Win XP) and one laptop (Win 7)
- I just bought a new laptop (Win 8.1) to replace the old one.

The license is valid for 2 workstations, so I can only use it on my desktop and one laptop (anyway, I will give away the old laptop). For the moment, I installed the demo version on the new one. I am still working on the old laptop for the current projects and only use WF on the new one in demo mode, for testing it and getting used to Windows 8.1.

I would like some advice on the best approach for renewing my license and moving it to the new laptop.
What should I do next, when the license expires:
- renew the license on the old laptop and then move it to the new one? Is it possible?
- or directly renew it on the new laptop (since the license on the old laptop will not be valid anymore I guess that renewing on the new one won't be considered as a 3rd installation). I am not sure how WF handles this situation.

And another question: I am not using WF Classic anymore, so I would like to renew only the license for WF Pro, not for the whole Studio bundle. Is it possible?

Thanks for any advice,
Oana

[Editat la 2015-06-06 22:09 GMT]
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
fiński > francuski
Contact the hotline Jun 7, 2015

In your situation, you should be able to relicense Wordfast on your new computer(s), since your license is still valid (albeit for a very short period). If this is not the case, this is probably because your license is overdrawn. If so, contact the Wordfast hotline (log in to your account at wordfast.net, select 'Contact the hotline') and they'll fix the problem for you.

You can renew as Classic only, instead of Classic+Pro. This will save you 25 euros (100 euros instead of 125 euro
... See more
In your situation, you should be able to relicense Wordfast on your new computer(s), since your license is still valid (albeit for a very short period). If this is not the case, this is probably because your license is overdrawn. If so, contact the Wordfast hotline (log in to your account at wordfast.net, select 'Contact the hotline') and they'll fix the problem for you.

You can renew as Classic only, instead of Classic+Pro. This will save you 25 euros (100 euros instead of 125 euros).

[Edited at 2015-06-07 05:49 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Holandia
Local time: 05:23
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

angielski > afrikaans
+ ...
Some answers Jun 7, 2015

Oana Popescu wrote:
- renew the license on the old laptop and then move it to the new one? Is it possible?

Yes, whenever you start using a new computer (or having re-installed Windows on an existing computer), you'd have to relicense Wordfast anyway. If the server refuses to relicense you, because it thinks you've been renewing it too often too quickly, simply send a request to the hotline asking them to reset your count.

- or directly renew it on the new laptop (since the license on the old laptop will not be valid anymore I guess that renewing on the new one won't be considered as a 3rd installation). I am not sure how WF handles this situation.

I'm not sure either... things have changed in recent years. But previously you were only *legally* limited to two installations -- you could theoretically have more, which may have been useful for the type of transition period you're talking about.

[Edited at 2015-06-07 10:06 GMT]

Oana Popescu
Oana Popescu  Identity Verified
Rumunia
angielski > rumuński
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Date of license renewal Jun 8, 2015

Dominique and Samuel, thanks for replying.

I will renew the license directly on the new laptop and I will contact the Hotline if I have any problems during the process. I think that I will wait until I will get closer to the validity deadline. I remember that in 2012, when I last renewed my license, the new 3 years license period started on the day of the order, not on the day when the old license expired. I don't know if it is the same now. Strange is that at that time I got a rem
... See more
Dominique and Samuel, thanks for replying.

I will renew the license directly on the new laptop and I will contact the Hotline if I have any problems during the process. I think that I will wait until I will get closer to the validity deadline. I remember that in 2012, when I last renewed my license, the new 3 years license period started on the day of the order, not on the day when the old license expired. I don't know if it is the same now. Strange is that at that time I got a reminder from WF support, telling me that my license will expire in 30 days. No such reminder this year. I found out by accident that the license will expire soon.

One more question: I told you I am considering to give up the WF Classic license, because I am not using it anymore. I did not use it at all in the past years. This means I will save 25 euros. But I wonder if I am doing the right thing, so I will ask other WF Pro users: should I keep the studio license? Why and when would I need WF Classic? Do you still use it? Anyway, there is always the demo version available. But I would like to learn from the experience of others.

Thanks
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Holandia
Local time: 05:23
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

angielski > afrikaans
+ ...
It's only 25 euros Jun 8, 2015

Oana Popescu wrote:
Should I keep the studio license? Why and when would I need WF Classic? Do you still use it?

If you only use WFP, then there's no need to keep paying for WFC. I myself use WFC almost exclusively (I use WFP only for the PM view, e.g. bilingual extract).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Renew licence on new laptop

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »