HELP!How to retrieve a file accidentally deleted in Wordfast Anywhere
Autor wątku: Annabelle Vergne
Annabelle Vergne
Annabelle Vergne  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:20
angielski > francuski
+ ...
Jun 18, 2015

I just finished translating a long file (several hours of work) on WFA and I saved the bilingual file but accidentally deleted it before I was able to download the Target file.
Now when I reopen the bilingual TXML file in WFA I see only part of the file, with "End of block" at the bottom.
Please help, if you know how to retrieve the full bilingual file so I can download my target file, thank you!

Annabelle Vergne
angielski > francuski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
How to get back to full view Jun 18, 2015

OK I know the bilingual file is all there, because I hit "move to next segment" until I reached the end of the document, but how to get back to the view where I can scroll down through the entire document and be able to save it in its entirety?

Andrea Bauer
Andrea Bauer  Identity Verified
Włochy
Local time: 05:20
włoski > niemiecki
+ ...
Double arrow icon Jun 18, 2015

By clicking on the double arrow icon on the left side at the top of the WFA-panel you open a side panel which shows you all segments. You can jump to the first segment (or whatever segment you like). To download the document it is not necessary to view the entire document. The panel always shows a certain number of segments at once (highlighted by the pink line on the side panel). If you want to see the following segments, just click on the last segment of the displayed block and you will be abl... See more
By clicking on the double arrow icon on the left side at the top of the WFA-panel you open a side panel which shows you all segments. You can jump to the first segment (or whatever segment you like). To download the document it is not necessary to view the entire document. The panel always shows a certain number of segments at once (highlighted by the pink line on the side panel). If you want to see the following segments, just click on the last segment of the displayed block and you will be able to see the following segments.

I hope this could answer your question.
Collapse

Annabelle Vergne
angielski > francuski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Thank you Jun 18, 2015

Thank you Andrea, that was helpful to see that the document was indeed entirely there, the problem is that when I export the target file it's exporting the txml file, I couldn't make it to export a target Word document. Fortunately that was the last file of a long list, but for that last one I had to copy and paste the entire content of the target text from WFA to a word doc, segment by segment
I didn't have that issue with
... See more
Thank you Andrea, that was helpful to see that the document was indeed entirely there, the problem is that when I export the target file it's exporting the txml file, I couldn't make it to export a target Word document. Fortunately that was the last file of a long list, but for that last one I had to copy and paste the entire content of the target text from WFA to a word doc, segment by segment
I didn't have that issue with any of the other files.
Collapse

Andrea Bauer
Andrea Bauer  Identity Verified
Włochy
Local time: 05:20
włoski > niemiecki
+ ...
Offline review tool Jun 18, 2015

When I translate a txml-file and want to have a doc-file, I use the option under File - Bilingual File tools - Offline review tools - Export.

In that way you can download a doc file with the source and target segments in two columns and from there copy only the target text.

[Edited at 2015-06-18 20:10 GMT]

Annabelle Vergne
angielski > francuski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Source document with source and target columns Jun 19, 2015

I've had this issue each time I used WF to translate that type of source document, which has a source column on the left and a target column on the right - and the client wants both fields in final document. It seems that WF does not want to translate directly in the target column on the right, so I guess for this type of document I shouldn't use a CAT tool, no matter how repetitive, and translate directly on the source Word document on the right column.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:20
fiński > francuski
Workflow Jun 19, 2015

Annabelle Vergne wrote:
I've had this issue each time I used WF to translate that type of source document, which has a source column on the left and a target column on the right - and the client wants both fields in final document. It seems that WF does not want to translate directly in the target column on the right, so I guess for this type of document I shouldn't use a CAT tool, no matter how repetitive, and translate directly on the source Word document on the right column.

If you were supplied with a two-column table with source texts in the left-hand side column and an empty column for the translations on the right-hand side column, you should proceed as follows: 1) duplicate the source texts in the right-hand side column, 2) format texts on the left as hidden, 3) import in Wordfast (only non-hidden texts on the right should be imported), 4) translate in Wordfast, 5) export the translated file, 6) unhide the texts on the left in Word.

Annabelle Vergne
angielski > francuski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Reply to Dominique Pivard Jun 19, 2015

Now that's a trick I didn't know, thank you Dominique, I should try that with a sample document, but tell me, how do you do Step 2) exactly?

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:20
fiński > francuski
How to hide text in Word Jun 19, 2015

Annabelle Vergne wrote:
how do you do Step 2) exactly?

I hope it was clear it's something you need to do in Word, prior to importing your document in WFA. Here is how to hide text in Word 2010 (should also work in 2007 and 2013):

http://www.addictivetips.com/microsoft-office/hide-text-in-document-word-2010/

Annabelle Vergne
angielski > francuski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Merci ! Jun 19, 2015

Thanks Dominique!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

HELP!How to retrieve a file accidentally deleted in Wordfast Anywhere

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »