Autor wątku: neilmac
neilmac
neilmac
Hiszpania
Local time: 05:24
hiszpański > angielski
+ ...
Jul 7, 2015

I'm currently having issues with WFC - when I try to clean up the translated document, Word shuts down alleging an add-in conflict. I don't understand it, because until recently it worked fine. I normally work with Dragon Naturally Speaking and WF Classic, in MS Word. Could it be the Word version? I recently upgraded to 2013... Perhaps I should try reinstalling an earlier version, like 2007 , which always worked fine?

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:24
fiński > francuski
Environment? Jul 7, 2015

Is this on the same PC / with the same version of Windows? Or did you switch to a new PC?

One thing that comes to mind is that when cleaning up, Wordfast needs to create a backup copy (.bak) of the document. Maybe the crash occurs at that time, for whatever reason.

If you suspect DNS could be the cause, you should disable it / close it and see if you are able to clean up without a crash.

neilmac
neilmac
Hiszpania
hiszpański > angielski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
2 PCs, same version Office and OS Jul 8, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Is this on the same PC / with the same version of Windows? Or did you switch to a new PC?

One thing that comes to mind is that when cleaning up, Wordfast needs to create a backup copy (.bak) of the document. Maybe the crash occurs at that time, for whatever reason.

If you suspect DNS could be the cause, you should disable it / close it and see if you are able to clean up without a crash.

It's on one desktop PC and one laptop so far, both running MS Office 2013 on Windows 7... and it was still happening with DNS closed last night. Am going to try again now, maybe split up the document into smaller chunks....

Tried again and this is the message I get:
Firma con problemas:
Nombre del evento de problema: APPCRASH
Nombre de la aplicación: WINWORD.EXE
Versión de la aplicación: 15.0.4420.1017
Marca de tiempo de la aplicación: 5067349a
Nombre del módulo con errores: wwlib.dll
Versión del módulo con errores: 15.0.4420.1017
Marca de tiempo del módulo con errores: 506734a9
Código de excepción: c0000005
Desplazamiento de excepción: 00615c64
Versión del sistema operativo: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Id. de configuración regional: 3082

Información adicional del problema:
LCID: 3082
skulcid: 3082

[Edited at 2015-07-08 07:12 GMT]

neilmac
neilmac
Hiszpania
hiszpański > angielski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Text chunk works OK... Jul 8, 2015

I copy/pasted the first few lines of the source text into a new document, ran it through WF and it cleaned up no problem - so maybe the issue is in the source document? It's Tables and Figures and some parts of it are weirdly formatted (or that's how I see them), for example with vertical text squeezed into really thin columns...

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
fiński > francuski
Document-related issue? Jul 8, 2015

neilmac wrote:
It's on one desktop PC and one laptop so far, both running MS Office 2013 on Windows 7... and it was still happening with DNS closed last night. Am going to try again now, maybe split up the document into smaller chunks....

OK, I assume this document is quite big, then. However, document size shouldn't be a problem for clean-up. What you may want to assess is whether your cleaning problem occurs with every single document, or just with this particular one. You could also ask a colleague to clean the document for you: if a crash also occurs, this would point to a corruption problem with the document; if not, this would suggest something is wrong with your own environment.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

angielski > rosyjski
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
OpenOffice.org Jul 8, 2015

When I used Wordfast Classic, I ran a couple of times into such a problem. Well, I opened such documents in OpenOffice.org (now Apache OpenOffice), made a minor edit and saved. After that, the document could be opened and cleaned up in Word. Try this way. Warning: some formatting may be lost, problems with embedded objects are possible.

neilmac
neilmac
Hiszpania
hiszpański > angielski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Document issue Jul 8, 2015

Dominique Pivard wrote:

neilmac wrote:

OK, I assume this document is quite big, then. However, document size shouldn't be a problem for clean-up. What you may want to assess is whether your cleaning problem occurs with every single document, or just with this particular one. You could also ask a colleague to clean the document for you: if a crash also occurs, this would point to a corruption problem with the document; if not, this would suggest something is wrong with your own environment.

I now think it is caused by frames and text boxes in the original document. It seems to be working on "normal" Word documents now, although I haven't tried it with DNS at the same time yet. Maybe later this afternoon...

PS: Yes, it was definitely due to the frames and text boxes in the original hodge-podge of cobbled-together formats. I'm now back to normal working with straightforward Word documents and it's plain sailing! Thanks to everyone who chipped in

[Edited at 2015-07-09 10:32 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word crashes when I try to cleanup in WFC

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »