Holandia
Local time: 19:29
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

angielski > afrikaans
+ ...
Nov 13, 2015

Hello everyone

Is there a way to make the terminology check in transcheck in WFP3 character based instead of word based? My clients expect me to verify terminology based on the transcheck report, but WFP3 yields 99% false positives due to the fact that my target language uses compound nouns.

For example, the glossary says "tissue = weefsel" and my target text translate "tissue sample" as "weefselmonster", but WFP3 says it's an error... the glossary term wasn't used.... See more
Hello everyone

Is there a way to make the terminology check in transcheck in WFP3 character based instead of word based? My clients expect me to verify terminology based on the transcheck report, but WFP3 yields 99% false positives due to the fact that my target language uses compound nouns.

For example, the glossary says "tissue = weefsel" and my target text translate "tissue sample" as "weefselmonster", but WFP3 says it's an error... the glossary term wasn't used.

I'm very happy that I can disable fuzzy terminology matching (the client doesn't, but I just rerun the transcheck myself to exclude the 99.9% false positives that are the result of "fuzzy" terminology matching).

For those who don't know about it, this is how fuzzy terminology matching works: As an example, my glossary says "information = inligting", and my source text says "informed consent". It doesn't matter how I translate "informed consent", WFP3 will flag it as an error, because "informed" is a fuzzy match for "information", and my target text does not contain "inligting".

Any advice on the character based glossary matching transcheck? Yes, I know it will lead to false positives as well, but at least those will be marked clearly in the transcheck report and easy to spot.

Thanks
Samuel

[Edited at 2015-11-13 14:18 GMT]
Collapse

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
USA
Local time: 13:29
angielski > francuski
+ ...
Don't use terminology check?? Nov 13, 2015

This is one of the reasons I disable checks like that. Dealing with the various issues caused by CAT tools poor design in this area takes longer than a plain old careful proofing, and adds tons of frustration.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Holandia
Local time: 19:29
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

angielski > afrikaans
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Don't be silly :-) Nov 13, 2015

JL01 wrote:
Don't use terminology check??

I have to generate a report and comment on it. Disabling it is not an option.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to enable character based glossary transcheck in WFP3

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Pastey
Your smart companion app

Pastey is an innovative desktop application that bridges the gap between human expertise and artificial intelligence. With intuitive keyboard shortcuts, Pastey transforms your source text into AI-powered draft translations.

Find out more »