Keyboard switching problem
Autor wątku: rollcow
rollcow
rollcow
Local time: 19:33
angielski > węgierski
Jul 20, 2005

I've been using Wordfast for a while now. I just upgraded my MS Word from version 97 to 2003 SP1 and I'm experiencing a problem:
When I use Alt+Down to go to the next segment, my keyboard layout switches to the source language (English). When I do it again (meaning I go to the next segment), it switches back to the target language (Hungarian). It's not only bothering but makes it almost impossible to work with. I use (English) Office 2003 SP1 with English XP Pro. My Wordfast version is 4.2
... See more
I've been using Wordfast for a while now. I just upgraded my MS Word from version 97 to 2003 SP1 and I'm experiencing a problem:
When I use Alt+Down to go to the next segment, my keyboard layout switches to the source language (English). When I do it again (meaning I go to the next segment), it switches back to the target language (Hungarian). It's not only bothering but makes it almost impossible to work with. I use (English) Office 2003 SP1 with English XP Pro. My Wordfast version is 4.22 t22 (registered). I'd appreciate any help!
Collapse

Steven Sidore
Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Niemcy
niemiecki > angielski
Discussed many times Jul 20, 2005

Hi,

This has been discussed many times before, such as in http://www.proz.com/topic/26252

Try a forum search, or at the Wordfast support group at Yahoo Groups, where it has also been discussed in detail.

Good luck!

rollcow
rollcow
angielski > węgierski
NOWY TEMAT
Possible solutions Jul 20, 2005

Try a forum search, or at the Wordfast support group at Yahoo Groups, where it has also been discussed in detail.

Good luck!

Thanks, Steven! I tried to search the forums (actually I've done it once before posting, but for some reason I couldn't find anything at that time) and I've found a few possible solutions. As it took quite a lot of time to find all these, I'm making a collection here for future reference:
- Uncheck Auto-Keyboard Switching (Word-Tools-Options-Edit)
- Deactivate "Automatically Detect Languages" (Word-Tools-Language-Set Language)
- Change the language of the Standard Style in Word
- Change Target Language Segment in WordFast-Setup-General-"when translating, set target language segment to be" - one of the 3 options - good luck!
- Deactivate keyboard-changing shortcuts that work in combination with the Alt key as they may interfere with Wordfast (even if they don't seem to!) - Control Panel-Regional and Language Options-Languages-Details-Key Settings-Change Key Sequence)(in my case, this option helped)
- or delete unwanted keyboards (it resembles the previous one, but some people (including me) do need the other keyboards sometimes, so I would't recommend it...)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Keyboard switching problem

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »