Ali Alawadi  Identity Verified
Turcja
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

angielski > arabski
+ ...
Mar 11, 2008

Dear all,

I have a file starting with a table of contents. But every time I start the translation session, the first segment is always the one below the Table of Contents.

Any ideas how to translate a table of contents using wordfast?

Many thanks in advance.

Ali Al-awadi

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
Wielka Brytania
Local time: 16:30
francuski > angielski
+ ...
Word should do it automatically Mar 11, 2008

If you translate the body of the text using Wordfast as normal and ignore the table of contents, then go back to the contents page when you've finished and right click, you should be given an option to update the contents list and/or page nos. When you click on update, the titles you've translated in the text should appear in the list. Assuming that the contents list has been generated automatically in Word, that is.

Gregory Flanders
Gregory Flanders  Identity Verified
Francja
Local time: 17:30
francuski > angielski
+ ...
Shift F9 Mar 11, 2008

Yes, proceed as Claire has described -- once everything has been translated, you can update the table of contents by typing Shift+F9, I believe. (Or Alt+F9?)

Ali Alawadi
Turcja
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

angielski > arabski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Table entries and contents not found! Mar 11, 2008

Thanks a lot Claire and gflan for your prompt response.

Unfortunately, Wordfast skips the table and its contents completely as if they were not there at all. In other words, Wordfast does not handle the table entries and/or its contents text.

Having finished the file translation, I got an error message, every time I did as shown in your response, that the table entries could not be found .
PS. the table is automatically generated in the source text.

... See more
Thanks a lot Claire and gflan for your prompt response.

Unfortunately, Wordfast skips the table and its contents completely as if they were not there at all. In other words, Wordfast does not handle the table entries and/or its contents text.

Having finished the file translation, I got an error message, every time I did as shown in your response, that the table entries could not be found .
PS. the table is automatically generated in the source text.

Am I missing something?

Thank you very much for your time and consideration

Ali Al-awadi
Collapse

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:30
włoski > niemiecki
+ ...
Try this way Mar 11, 2008

I thought the way that was described before was much simpler than what I usually do.

Anyway, if it doesn't work, that's the way that I normally use when TOCs are present in the translation:

I translate anything of the text BUT the TOC. When finished, I go back to the TOC, have it translated (at this point, you have all the titles anyway in the TM) and then clean. You should so have a perfect Table of Contents. If not, go to the beginning of the Table of Contents, clic
... See more
I thought the way that was described before was much simpler than what I usually do.

Anyway, if it doesn't work, that's the way that I normally use when TOCs are present in the translation:

I translate anything of the text BUT the TOC. When finished, I go back to the TOC, have it translated (at this point, you have all the titles anyway in the TM) and then clean. You should so have a perfect Table of Contents. If not, go to the beginning of the Table of Contents, click on "insert" in the menu, and everything should be ok.

HTH!
Collapse

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
Wielka Brytania
Local time: 16:30
francuski > angielski
+ ...
Hmmm Mar 11, 2008

I've just been searching for a document with a table of contents to check what I do and it is as I thought. Translate the file with Wordfast - it will ignore the table of contents but you will be translating each heading in the text anyway. When you've finished, go back to the contents and right-click at the side. You should get a drop-down menu with Update field, and when you click on that the option to just update page nos or all entries. Click on update all and the titles you've translated in... See more
I've just been searching for a document with a table of contents to check what I do and it is as I thought. Translate the file with Wordfast - it will ignore the table of contents but you will be translating each heading in the text anyway. When you've finished, go back to the contents and right-click at the side. You should get a drop-down menu with Update field, and when you click on that the option to just update page nos or all entries. Click on update all and the titles you've translated in the text should magically appear in your contents table. This is nothing to do with Wordfast, just Word. If it doesn't work, it sounds as though the table of contents hasn't been set up properly. It might be worth copying all the text into a new document and trying again - sometimes they can be corrupted.

Another thought - are you absolutely sure you haven't deleted any of the codes when translating the headings. If you've inadvertently deleted the codes that link the heading back to the table, they won't be linked. Could you try again with the source file, run it through the TM and see if that helps? It could be that you've deleted something vital when editing.....

Good luck!

[Edited at 2008-03-11 23:36]
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:30
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

angielski > rosyjski
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I wouldn't translate TOC Mar 12, 2008

I'd advise to delete the TOC in the document, translate, clean up and create a TOC in translation.

Ali Alawadi
Turcja
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

angielski > arabski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Finally Done! Mar 12, 2008

Thanks a lot
Claire,
Christel,
gflan,
esperantisto

for your prompt response and highly-appreciated support.

Have a lovely day!

Best regards
Ali Al-awadi

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Table of Contents with Wordfast

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »