Inge Grueneberg
Inge Grueneberg  Identity Verified
Niemcy
Local time: 17:42
niemiecki > angielski
+ ...
Mar 14, 2008

Hi

I had to turn down a project because I do not have a TagEditor which was required. At least, as I have read, it is not easy to translate tagged files with Wordfast.
What type of files are these and is there a way I can overcome this problem without having to buy Trados?

Thanks for your answers in advance

Inge

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finlandia
Local time: 18:42
Członek ProZ.com
od 2003

fiński > niemiecki
+ ...
Try plustoys Mar 14, 2008

There is a macro for
TTX (TagEditor) file to Trados-like segmented text
and Back
The Author is Arkady Vysotzky

Inge Grueneberg
Niemcy
niemiecki > angielski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
TTX file? Mar 14, 2008

Hi
thanks for the information. It seems I can download Plus Toyz here by joining this group which I have done and will try it out.

I read that TagEditor files are XML files is this correct? And what are TTX files?
What does the client mean by requiring a TagEditor? What should I actually have?

Sorry for all these questions, but I am not familiar with all these terms.

Inge

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finlandia
Local time: 18:42
Członek ProZ.com
od 2003

fiński > niemiecki
+ ...
Tageditor is part of Trados Mar 14, 2008

Tageditor = TE is Trados own editor program for all kind of files. ttx.files are files, that have been prepared for translation in TE.
Trados nowadays is a package including SDLX and Trados.
If you want to use Wordfast but do not own Trados you should ask customers send their translation memories (tm) in tmx-format. tmx can be importet and converted to normal Wordfast-tms.
For bigger projects you should make sure that the conversions ttx-Word-ttx works well and that the result
... See more
Tageditor = TE is Trados own editor program for all kind of files. ttx.files are files, that have been prepared for translation in TE.
Trados nowadays is a package including SDLX and Trados.
If you want to use Wordfast but do not own Trados you should ask customers send their translation memories (tm) in tmx-format. tmx can be importet and converted to normal Wordfast-tms.
For bigger projects you should make sure that the conversions ttx-Word-ttx works well and that the resulting files are ok for importing into TE.
I haven't yet used plustoys, but I believe it works.
Really all these files are simple text files, but for translation you need to exclude formatting codes, so that Wordfast only sees the real text.
Collapse

Inge Grueneberg
Niemcy
niemiecki > angielski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Tags and TagEditor Mar 14, 2008

I see.

So you have tagged files - say from XML or HTML and you need the TagEditor to be able to translate these files without the tags getting in the way or being changed by mistake.
Thanks very much!

Inge

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czechy
angielski > czeski
+ ...
Have files prepared Mar 15, 2008

Inge Grueneberg wrote:

I see.

So you have tagged files - say from XML or HTML and you need the TagEditor to be able to translate these files without the tags getting in the way or being changed by mistake.
Thanks very much!

Inge

Your customer should be able to prepare tagged files for translation in WordFast. He/She should use the "tw4winexternal" and/or "tw4wininternal" styles for tags (the first style for tags outside of sentences, the latter one for tags inside sentences). Once this is done, WordFast should skip the tags and open the translatable text only.

Another approach is to open a segment including tags, copy source to target and work with the translatable text. You can then check the validity of the output by copying all text (tags included) into notepad, saving the file as HTML and opening it in a browser. Your translation should display exactly the same way as the source. If it does not, something is wrong and you've probably made a mistake by deleting a tag or a part of it (such as e. g. the ">" character).

As for TTX files, there is a conversion tool called TTX2RTF which converts TTX files to RTF files you can translate in Word using WordFast. Unfortunately, I've lost the download address but you should be able to find it easily in Google (type TTX2RTF.exe or TTX2RTF.zip).

[Upraveno: 2008-03-15 10:06]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor and Wordfast

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »