John Fossey  Identity Verified
Kanada
Local time: 05:28
Członek ProZ.com
od 2008

francuski > angielski
+ ...
Jul 22

I am working on a project in Word with a number of text boxes with text inside. The internal text can be edited directly in Word, but I don't see it in MemoQ. I don't see any option in the "Import with options" dialogue that would allow text box content to be imported. How can I do this?

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Holandia
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

niemiecki > niderlandzki
Workaround Jul 23

John Fossey wrote:

I am working on a project in Word with a number of text boxes with text inside. The internal text can be edited directly in Word, but I don't see it in MemoQ. I don't see any option in the "Import with options" dialogue that would allow text box content to be imported. How can I do this?

I'm not sure how to do this. But there are some macros on the web that can export and import textboxes. So if no-one can solve your problem, you could google for them.

See: https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/359185-werecat_download.html

@Samuel: David's link is dead. Could you perhaps create a download link for the copy that you have?

Here is a macro that only extracts the content of text boxes to a new document:
https://wordribbon.tips.net/T009755_Extracting_Text_Box_Contents.html

Screenshot 2024-07-23 at 10.16.07

[Edited at 2024-07-23 08:17 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Rosja
Local time: 12:28
angielski > rosyjski
Default behavior Jul 23

Weirdly my memoQ imports text boxes by default.

I also downloaded a trial version of memoQ 11. It seems to import text boxes by default either. Is it possible that your text boxes are somehow blocked in the MS Word file rather than in memoQ?

[Edited at 2024-07-23 09:07 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Holandia
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

niemiecki > niderlandzki
11.20 Jul 23

Stepan Konev wrote:

Weirdly my memoQ imports text boxes by default.

Also downloaded a trial version of memoQ 11. It seems to import text boxes by default either.

I just checked and can confirm that. The only text box that wasn't imported, is a text box in a footnote.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Kanada
Local time: 05:28
Członek ProZ.com
od 2008

francuski > angielski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Had to do them manually Jul 23

I finally had to do the text in the text boxes manually, it would not load into MemoQ. But it wouldn't load into Trados, either.

I wonder if they were not actually text boxes but some kind of shape.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Holandia
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

niemiecki > niderlandzki
docx = zip Jul 23

John Fossey wrote:

I finally had to do the text in the text boxes manually, it would not load into MemoQ. But it wouldn't load into Trados, either.

I wonder if they were not actually text boxes but some kind of shape.

You can always check by adding ".zip" to the name of the document and opening the zip file.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing text boxes into MemoQ

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »