USA
Local time: 08:26
Członek ProZ.com
niemiecki > angielski
+ ...
Protein Jun 22

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:

Rachel Waddington wrote:

It's healthier to eat fruit as actual fruit rather than as juice or smoothies because your body absorbs it more slowly, leading to less of a blood sugar spike.

But it only takes a minute to drink a 500ml smoothie, longer than it would take to eat an apple, banana, berries etc. Not to mention the veggies you're getting into the bargain.

It must be efficient!

I must try oatmeal, as suggested by Magdalena.

Thanks folks.

I'm with you on saving time! That's part of why suggestions such as beans or tofu are important (important when taking in a lot of juiced fruit all at once, that is). Protein slows the digestion of sugar, helping prevent that spike in blood sugar. Cottage cheese and yogurt are other potential ingredients for this. Or have a side of a couple hard-boiled eggs or some beef jerky (preferably a low- or no-salt, no-sugar version).

Cilian O'Tuama
Chris Says Bye

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
Francja
Local time: 14:26
francuski > angielski
. Jun 22

Magdalena Kilcourse wrote:

Absolutely. To reduce the sugar hit, it's definitely a good idea to add vegetables (spinach etc.) as you're already doing, as well as things like almond butter and porridge oats. Cinnamon (Ceylon, not Cassia which contains more coumarin that can damage your liver) has also been shown to reduce blood sugar spikes, as well as being really tasty!

I have read that oats are high-carb so they can give a sugar hit too.

(Sorry Cilian if you've already bought a packet!)

Cilian O'Tuama

Kay Denney
Francja
francuski > angielski
. Jun 22

Rachel Waddington wrote:

Although your smoothie contains a lot of good stuff you could be getting a big hit of sugar. It's healthier to eat fruit as actual fruit rather than as juice or smoothies because your body absorbs it more slowly, leading to less of a blood sugar spike.

Juice is pretty useless because the fibre has been removed.

If it's blended in the smoothie, the fibre's still there but has been broken down somewhat so it's not as useful.

So yes, much better to eat the fruit whole.

But of course then if you remove the fruit the smoothie might have a disgusting taste... ^^

Rachel Waddington
Chris Says Bye

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bośnia i Hercegowina
Członek ProZ.com
od 2009

angielski > chorwacki
+ ...
Combine with peanut butter Jun 22

If you combine a slice of apple or banana with some peanut butter or tahini, it’ll buffer the sugars/fructose, ie. it’ll supress the spike.

Other than that, you may opt for berries which have lower GI than other fruits.

Kay Denney
Becca Resnik
Cilian O'Tuama

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
Wielka Brytania
Local time: 13:26
niderlandzki > angielski
+ ...
. Jun 22

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:

Rachel Waddington wrote:

It's healthier to eat fruit as actual fruit rather than as juice or smoothies because your body absorbs it more slowly, leading to less of a blood sugar spike.

But it only takes a minute to drink a 500ml smoothie, how much longer to eat an apple, banana, berries etc.? Not to mention the veggies you're getting into the bargain.

It must be efficient!

I must try oatmeal, as suggested by Magdalena.

Thanks folks.

[Edited at 2024-06-22 03:34 GMT]

That's sort of the point. Fruit is full of nutrients, but it's high in sugar. That doesn't normally matter because it takes time to eat so you naturally won't overdo it. If you blend it into a smoothie you can consume far more, far more quickly. That isn't necessarily so good for you. You also won't be spreading it out over the day ... apple mid-morning, banana with lunch etc. ... which helps spread the sugar out.

I'm not saying smoothies are a terrible thing, but you shouldn't be relying on them for all your fruit and veg. Better to add some fruit/veg to each meal in whole form than try to get the whole lot in a single hit in a smoothie. (I'm not saying that's what you are doing by the way).

Kay Denney
Becca Resnik
Chris Says Bye
Michele Fauble
Cilian O'Tuama
Christine Andersen
P.L.F. Persio

Kay Denney
Francja
francuski > angielski
. Jun 22

Rachel Waddington wrote:

That's sort of the point. Fruit is full of nutrients, but it's high in sugar. That doesn't normally matter because it takes time to eat so you naturally won't overdo it. If you blend it into a smoothie you can consume far more, far more quickly. That isn't necessarily so good for you. You also won't be spreading it out over the day ... apple mid-morning, banana with lunch etc. ... which helps spread the sugar out.

I'm not saying smoothies are a terrible thing, but you shouldn't be relying on them for all your fruit and veg. Better to add some fruit/veg to each meal in whole form than try to get the whole lot in a single hit in a smoothie. (I'm not saying that's what you are doing by the way).

Thank you Rachel, I didn't know where to start explaining.
Yes, much better to spread it out.
Thing is, if you put your "five-a-day" into a single smoothie, it may be five fruits and veg but it probably won't be "five servings of fruit or veg". A serving being the amount on your plate if you have an equally proportioned meat and two veg on your plate as your main course with either a starter or a dessert to round it off.
Also, if you consider that having a smoothie full of nutritious food then lets you off as it were for the rest of the day, ... unless you're fasting for the rest of the day, you're going to be eating food with calories in it, and probably high-carb. That'll be a recipe for putting on plenty of weight.

Now thinking I really should have continued studying nutrition. I wish I could teach people to cook vegetables properly so they can eat and enjoy wholesome food. So many people just don't want to eat veg, and it's usually because they've never eaten it cooked well...

Chris Says Bye
Cilian O'Tuama
P.L.F. Persio

Becca Resnik
Becca Resnik  Identity Verified
USA
Członek ProZ.com
niemiecki > angielski
+ ...
Complex Jun 22

Kay Denney wrote:

I have read that oats are high-carb so they can give a sugar hit too.

(Sorry Cilian if you've already bought a packet!)

Yes, but they are a complex carb, meaning your body has to work to break the carbohydrate down into its simpler units. So your body is doing some "work" to take the sugar in, and the blood sugar spike isn't intense because of the extended digestion time.

Michele Fauble
Cilian O'Tuama
Magdalena Kilcourse
Kay Denney
Christine Andersen
Lingua 5B

Becca Resnik
USA
Członek ProZ.com
niemiecki > angielski
+ ...
Nutrition studies Jun 22

Kay Denney wrote:

Now thinking I really should have continued studying nutrition. I wish I could teach people to cook vegetables properly so they can eat and enjoy wholesome food. So many people just don't want to eat veg, and it's usually because they've never eaten it cooked well...

Nutrition was one of my favorite parts of getting my nursing license! I loved teaching patients about nutrition during clinical rotations. Someday when I'm "bored" (I'm never actually bored), I'd like to go back and earn my RDN license (registered dietician nutritionist).

Kay Denney
Lingua 5B

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Niemcy
niemiecki > angielski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Oatmeal and peanut butter Jun 25

seem to improve on what I've been experimenting with so far...

I'd never have thought peanut butter can be healthy! Ignoramus as I am in such matters.

Thanks

Lingua 5B

Lingua 5B
Bośnia i Hercegowina
Członek ProZ.com
od 2009

angielski > chorwacki
+ ...
Legumes Jun 25

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:

seem to improve on what I've been experimenting with so far...

I'd never have thought peanut butter can be healthy! Ignoramus as I am in such matters.

Thanks

Even though it has the nut in its name, peanut is actually a legume. Legumes have been long known to help balance blood sugar. Also beans, lentils, etc.

But don't overdo it, I think 1 tbsp per day is enough. Or tsp will do.

Here are some of my combos for quick snacks:

Simple rolls:
coconut flakes/or flour
peanut butter
fresh cherries
just combine the two and shape into small balls, put a cherry inside each ball
place them in the fridge to settle

Cucumber salad:
Grate a cucumber into noodles/spaghetti
Dressing:
peanut butter
maple syrup
finely chopped garlic
Combine all and enjoy!

Rachel Waddington
Becca Resnik

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Niemcy
niemiecki > angielski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Thanks Lingua 5B :-) Jun 26

But I just want to put stuff in a blender. I don't want to waste time cooking/grating/shaping...!

Would adding unsalted peanuts as a smoothie ingredient be any better/worse/different than adding peanut butter?

This is getting serious.

Lingua 5B
Bośnia i Hercegowina
Członek ProZ.com
od 2009

angielski > chorwacki
+ ...
It's serious! Jun 26

Hum, if your blender is powerful enough, it can blend peanuts into a peanut butter. Maybe add them first (ideally roasted, but you don't want effort ha!) and wait until it reaches something like silky butter consistency, it may take some time.

Other than that, well, technically is the same thing.

Kay Denney
Francja
francuski > angielski
. Jun 26

Lingua 5B wrote:

Hum, if your blender is powerful enough, it can blend peanuts into a peanut butter. Maybe add them first (ideally roasted, but you don't want effort ha!) and wait until it reaches something like silky butter consistency, it may take some time.

Other than that, well, technically is the same thing.

Have you actually tried that? because I think it would take a long time!

My partner got a juice extractor a few years ago, despite me saying that it wasn't a good idea because it only extracts juice, no fibre left at all, which is a waste of fruit and veg IMHO.
The only thing it's good for is making peanut butter, but you have to put the mixture through several times before the fat cells get broken down enough to turn it into a creamy paste. Extractors being far more powerful than blenders, I can only imagine a blender would take a long time to break the peanuts down into peanut butter. Also, it's very dense, with no added liquid, so the blender would have to be a heavy-duty model surely? My little blender can manage hummus just fine, but I wouldn't want to try peanuts in it unless I just wanted to chop them up fine for a Pad Thai.

[Edited at 2024-06-26 08:57 GMT]

Lingua 5B
Bośnia i Hercegowina
Członek ProZ.com
od 2009

angielski > chorwacki
+ ...
I tried with almonds Jun 26

I tried it into almond paste/butter, and yes, it took awfully long time. You need to take breaks to save your appliance, as it also gets very hot, so blend it in batches. At the time it was a potent food processor (much stronger than a blender), but I no longer have it.

Almonds are even harder in consistency than peanuts.

So, some recommendations I have are:

- roast them and put them hot or at least warm in the machine
- take breaks, as the machine wi
... See more
I tried it into almond paste/butter, and yes, it took awfully long time. You need to take breaks to save your appliance, as it also gets very hot, so blend it in batches. At the time it was a potent food processor (much stronger than a blender), but I no longer have it.

Almonds are even harder in consistency than peanuts.

So, some recommendations I have are:

- roast them and put them hot or at least warm in the machine
- take breaks, as the machine will get hot. Be patient.
- possibly first grind them into a powder in a nut grinder (the manual ones are good), then put the powder in the processor. Perhaps add a dash of neutral oil.

Yes, it'll be messy and will take a lot of effort and time, no wonder almond butter is so expensive. But peanut butter has an OK price so perhaps not worth the effort.

There are also specific nut butter machines: https://www.chinapeanutmachinery.com/butter/commercial-peanut-almond-butter-grinder-machine.html

[Edited at 2024-06-26 09:14 GMT]
Collapse

Becca Resnik
USA
Członek ProZ.com
niemiecki > angielski
+ ...
Micronutrients Jun 26

Kay Denney wrote:

My partner got a juice extractor a few years ago, despite me saying that it wasn't a good idea because it only extracts juice, no fibre left at all, which is a waste of fruit and veg IMHO.

Nah, I wouldn't go so far as to call it a waste. Losing the fiber is an issue (unless your diet calls for that – some health conditions require a low-fiber diet), but all the other micronutrient goodness that makes fruits and veggies vital to life is still very much there. The potassium in spinach, the vitamin C in apples, the antioxidants in blueberries, etc. – the juicer isn't removing those.

Stron w wątku:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatorzy tego forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Nutritious yet tasty morning smoothies

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »