Rates and/or tips for providing transcription + traduction + sous-titrage services
Autor wątku: Patricia Pabst
Patricia Pabst
Patricia Pabst  Identity Verified
Dominikana
Local time: 19:16
Członek ProZ.com
od 2014

francuski > angielski
+ ...
Jul 12

Hello,
I have quite a bit of experience in subtitling, but have generally worked on videos that are already subtitled in the source language (French for my purposes.)

I was just wondering if anyone had experience doing and pricing the full job of generating source subtitles and translating them.
I would assume that the best way is to use start with automatically generating source subs (these are conferences with one speaker at a time) and editing them (I would plan to
... See more
Hello,
I have quite a bit of experience in subtitling, but have generally worked on videos that are already subtitled in the source language (French for my purposes.)

I was just wondering if anyone had experience doing and pricing the full job of generating source subtitles and translating them.
I would assume that the best way is to use start with automatically generating source subs (these are conferences with one speaker at a time) and editing them (I would plan to subcontract at least proofreading of those subtitles to a native speaker).

I would appreciate ideas on good and economical software for generating the source subtitles, and pricing for the whole process.

Thanks in advance for sharing your ideas.
Patricia
Collapse

Novian Cahyadi
Novian Cahyadi  Identity Verified
Indonezja
Local time: 06:16
Członek ProZ.com
od Apr 2024

angielski > indonezyjski
+ ...
Rates for Subtitling from Scratch Jul 12

From “Subtitling: Concepts and Practices” by Prof. Jorge Díaz-Cintas and Prof. Aline Remael. Chapter 2: Professional ecosystem, page 56.

There are several factors that impinge on the subtitlers’ remuneration. When asked to translate from the audiotrack without a dialogue list or template, they should charge higher rates, since the task will take considerably longer. Some translators’ associations recommend a surcharge of some 30% to 50%, although this is not alw... See more
From “Subtitling: Concepts and Practices” by Prof. Jorge Díaz-Cintas and Prof. Aline Remael. Chapter 2: Professional ecosystem, page 56.

There are several factors that impinge on the subtitlers’ remuneration. When asked to translate from the audiotrack without a dialogue list or template, they should charge higher rates, since the task will take considerably longer. Some translators’ associations recommend a surcharge of some 30% to 50%, although this is not always possible and some bargaining might be called for.

Patricia Pabst wrote:
I would assume that the best way is to use start with automatically generating source subs (these are conferences with one speaker at a time) and editing them (I would plan to subcontract at least proofreading of those subtitles to a native speaker).

I would appreciate ideas on good and economical software for generating the source subtitles

Whisper from OpenAI, available as a module in Subtitle Edit. Please bear in mind, this doesn't mean you can Jesus-take-the-wheel the entire process. Using automatic speech recognition (ASR) software without understanding subtitling conventions is asking for troubles.

Hope this helps.
Collapse

Muhammet Tamer

Patricia Pabst
Patricia Pabst  Identity Verified
Dominikana
Local time: 19:16
Członek ProZ.com
od 2014

francuski > angielski
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
Don't worry Jul 12

Don't worry - I know very well that automatic translation is tool for humans to use and not a replacement! 😉

Ma. Alejandra Padilla - LaCour

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates and/or tips for providing transcription + traduction + sous-titrage services

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Pastey
Your smart companion app

Pastey is an innovative desktop application that bridges the gap between human expertise and artificial intelligence. With intuitive keyboard shortcuts, Pastey transforms your source text into AI-powered draft translations.

Find out more »