Manuela Hoffmann-Maleki (X)
Manuela Hoffmann-Maleki (X)  Identity Verified
Niemcy
Local time: 05:14
angielski > niemiecki
+ ...
Waiting and hoping... Oct 22, 2011

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Wordfast Pro doesn't support the new API v2 yet, so there's no place where you can enter the API key for the time being. My understanding is that the developers are working on it, so stay tuned.

Oh, but MT had worked there before even without any API key. So I have to wait and be patient...

Thanks for repeating the link, I could have realized that on my own that there was a superfluous dot... It worked now, and I had already seen that very video clip before. Anyway, having got the key now, I also entered it in Wordfast Anywhere. Don't know if the MT then gets any better than before...?

Kind regards and thanks,
Manuela

Raquel Zyserman
Raquel Zyserman  Identity Verified
Argentyna
Local time: 00:14
angielski > hiszpański
+ ...
Problems with .txlm files from Wordfast Anywhere Oct 22, 2011

I am having problems when downloading a .txml file from Wordfast Anywhere to my computer: Windows fails to read it when I try to unzip the downloaded file and requests that I download the program necessary to view these files, from the web. Which might this be? I would enormously appeciate your help!!

Niemcy
angielski > niemiecki
+ ...
Opening the downloaded txml-file Oct 22, 2011

Raquel Zyserman wrote:

I am having problems when downloading a .txml file from Wordfast Anywhere to my computer: Windows fails to read it when I try to unzip the downloaded file and requests that I download the program necessary to view these files, from the web. Which might this be? I would enormously appeciate your help!!

I just tried that. When I click on mine it automatically opens Wordfast Professional. In case you don't have that, maybe it's better to click on "download document file". Then you get the translated version in Excel or Word or whatever it originally was.

Kind regards,
Manuela

[Bearbeitet am 2011-10-22 19:05 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2011-10-22 20:40 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2011-10-23 19:54 GMT]

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:14
fiński > francuski
What browser did you use? Oct 22, 2011

Raquel Zyserman wrote:

First of all, the best way to obtain help for Wordfast Anywhere is to use the dedicated mailing list (http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Wordfast_Anywhere/).

What browser did you use? Just use one that lets you download the file, without trying to open it.

Have you got Wordfast Pro installed on your computer? Normally, the .TXML file format is associated to Wordfast Pro. If Wordfast Pro is not installed and you double-click on a TXML in Windows Explorer, Windows will probably try to open it as an XML file. Just open your TXML in Wordfast Pro via File > Open File, and install Wordfast Pro if necessary.

Dominique Pivard
fiński > francuski
The change is caused by Google, not Wordfast Oct 22, 2011

Manuela Hoffmann-Maleki wrote:
Oh, but MT had worked there before even without any API key.

Sure, it did work until recently. It's just that Google has started to do something (issue error messages every now and then) so that users take notice API v1 is deprecated and will stop working on Dec. 1, 2011. It did work as intended with you, since you now have an API key and are able to use API v2

Anyway, having got the key now, I also entered it in Wordfast Anywhere. Don't know if the MT then gets any better than before...?

AFAIK, Google Translate is serving exactly the same proposals (no better, no worse) with API v2 as with API v1. The only difference is that with v2, you won't get any error messages. And you will be able to monitor in the API console the number of characters you have queried from Google Translate, and see what Google is going to charge for it. My balance is currently 0.05 USD, what's yours?

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egipt
angielski > arabski
Wordfast Online Aligner Oct 23, 2011

Dear Manuela,

.... translations made without Wordfast (manually) and original text? If so, how is that done? I worked for the same customers before my Wordfast time and would like to connect the German and English texts for the translation memory. Could you or anybody else help me there?

As for Wordfast Online Aligner, I hope this helps:
http://youtu.be/uPw-WhGJVqs

Moreover, you can use PlusTools to align your old translations. For more information, please read this knowledge-base article:
http://www.wordfast.net/?kb=139-27

Kind regards,
Yasmin

Raquel Zyserman
Argentyna
angielski > hiszpański
+ ...
Thanks for your help Oct 24, 2011

Raquel Zyserman wrote:

I just tried that. When I click on mine it automatically opens Wordfast Professional. In case you don't have that, maybe it's better to click on "download document file". Then you get the translated version in Excel or Word or whatever it originally was.

Kind regards,
Manuela

[Bearbeitet am 2011-10-22 19:05 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2011-10-22 20:40 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2011-10-23 19:54 GMT]

Thanks, Manuela! I had already opened my file as you say, but then I cannot see the drawings included in the translation and in the original file. So I thought that by downloading the file as a tmx one I would see the complete work (text and drawings). The original comes from a web site and the problem is that I still haven´t got Wordfast Pro.

Raquel Zyserman
Argentyna
angielski > hiszpański
+ ...
One more question Oct 24, 2011

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Raquel Zyserman wrote:

First of all, the best way to obtain help for Wordfast Anywhere is to use the dedicated mailing list (http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Wordfast_Anywhere/).

What browser did you use? Just use one that lets you download the file, without trying to open it.

Have you got Wordfast Pro installed on your computer? Normally, the .TXML file format is associated to Wordfast Pro. If Wordfast Pro is not installed and you double-click on a TXML in Windows Explorer, Windows will probably try to open it as an XML file. Just open your TXML in Wordfast Pro via File > Open File, and install Wordfast Pro if necessary.

Thanks for your help, Dominique! I downloaded the file succsessfully; the problem appeared when I tried to open it. I wanted to check the drawings and text included were OK before sending the file. Is there some other way to do it with WA, since I still haven´t got Wordfast Pro?

Michele Essman
Michele Essman  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:14
niemiecki > angielski
Add me to the list of fans... Oct 24, 2011

Wordfast Anywhere has really saved the day for me. I just started a new project requiring that I use a termbase. I've used only Trados for the last year or so (since I first started freelancing), and Multiterm is an absolute nightmare. Sure enough, it wouldn't open properly. I tried updating the service pack, installing cumulative updates, it's still hosed. And forget about any kind of support from SDL...

I figured this was the perfect time to try Wordfast Anywhere. I've only been u
... See more
Wordfast Anywhere has really saved the day for me. I just started a new project requiring that I use a termbase. I've used only Trados for the last year or so (since I first started freelancing), and Multiterm is an absolute nightmare. Sure enough, it wouldn't open properly. I tried updating the service pack, installing cumulative updates, it's still hosed. And forget about any kind of support from SDL...

I figured this was the perfect time to try Wordfast Anywhere. I've only been using it for a couple of days, but I've been able to upload source docs/TM/termbase without a problem, and my spot-checking of target files looks good so far.

Wordfast has definitely garnered a great amount of goodwill on my part (between Anywhere and their fabulous party at the ATA I will continue to use Anywhere unless Trados is absolutely necessary, and the next time I have to purchase a standalone CAT tool theirs will be the first one I look at.
Collapse

Niemcy
angielski > niemiecki
+ ...
Thanks, Yasmin! Oct 24, 2011

Yasmin Moslem wrote:

As for Wordfast Online Aligner, I hope this helps:
http://youtu.be/uPw-WhGJVqs

Moreover, you can use PlusTools to align your old translations. For more information, please read this knowledge-base article:
http://www.wordfast.net/?kb=139-27

Dear Yasmin,

thanks for these two links! I watched the video and I tried to align documents with either version, but something goes wrong, I cannot use the result, it is full of numbers and tags DE and EN and don't know how to insert it into my project. It cannot be opened or can be opened just as a file for translation, which makes the whole thing much worse, as there are the numbers and tags now inside, and the text is in both languages, and I'm fed up for today after trying for hours. I now typed in a lot of the text manually, i.e. copying it from the target document. It is a customer for whom I had translated lots of little files, and I want all the translation memory to be in one file, not in 50 diffferent files... I think I was born too early to be still able to understand all this stuff...(

I turn my computer off and call it a day.

Good night...
Manuela

Dominique Pivard
fiński > francuski
You need Wordfast Pro Oct 24, 2011

Raquel Zyserman wrote:
Thanks for your help, Dominique! I downloaded the file succsessfully; the problem appeared when I tried to open it. I wanted to check the drawings and text included were OK before sending the file. Is there some other way to do it with WA, since I still haven´t got Wordfast Pro?

If you have translated a .TXML in Wordfast Anywhere, there is no way you can create the final, translated version of your document (be it a PPT or whatever) without Wordfast Pro. And even with Wordfast Pro, you need the original document from which the TXML was created. If you were only supplied a TXML to start with, you cannot see the final version, you just have to trust your translated TXML is good.

Dominique Pivard
fiński > francuski
The demo version of Wordfast Pro should be sufficient Oct 24, 2011

Raquel Zyserman wrote:
I still haven´t got Wordfast Pro?

One more thing: you can install Wordfast Pro (http://wordfast.com/store_download.html) and use it in demo mode. The demo mode of WFP should be sufficient in order to create your translated web page (I assume the original document was an HTML), but you need the original HTML from which the TXML was created.

Yves Champollion
Yves Champollion  Identity Verified
angielski > francuski
two questions Oct 25, 2011

NR_Stedman wrote:

I think lots of translators were very grateful for Wordfast's rapid integration of the Google translate API now that it has become a paid service. You have been much more reactive than SDL for instance. However a few of us (very few according to the WF manual) only use desk-based MT systems for confidentiality reasons and I have seen that these can't be integrated into WF anywhere.

I would like to know what you think of the confidentiality issues with GT (the google webste suggests that GT is basically just for translating websites and documents already in the public domain - certainly not most of the document in a translator's workflow).
What is WF doing to integrate totally confidential MT systems with user-defined dictionnaires. Will it be able to upload UDs and run them with server based MT systems one day?

On a personal note I have tried and failed to integrate Systran Premium into WF classic. I have never been able to find the two magic words separated by a comma that you have to enter into the MT text box and I have never had any replies to my continued pleas for help.

Howdy,

1. GT: only you can answer, there's no across-the-board answer. It depends on the level of confidentiality you're committed to. Source segments make it to Google (whose motto is: "we never throw away anything"). Targets aren't fed to Google. Gholly, we're decent folks. Wordfast does not feed GT translated segments, WF does not join the "suggest a better translation" scheme.

Note that to this day, I've never seen or heard of GT submissions later turning up as search results. But who knows.

And if in doubt? Do not use Google Translate - or any web-based MT solution. Don't use emails too to receive/send jobs, it's even more unsafe.

2. "integrate totally confidential MT systems with user-defined dictionnaires". Not sure what you mean here. Your TMs and glossaries are yours and confidential. They can be uploaded/downloaded at whim.

Or perhaps you mean, you'd like to run your own private TM/Glo server and have WFA connect to it? We have that solution, and some large concerns use it, but at the moment, it costs an arm (competitors too have similar solutions but you need to add a leg. We're happy with just your arm).

Cheers,
Yves

Nicholas Stedman
Nicholas Stedman  Identity Verified
Włochy
francuski > angielski
NOWY TEMAT
Thanks for your point of view on confidentiality, Yves Oct 25, 2011

It would be nice to have some guarantees from Google about what they may or may not do with all the info in the source segments that they receive.
I am impressed with WF Anywhere and have moved back from Trados. I work on different computers in different countrires so one major advantage is that there is no need to continually shift TMs and glossaries around - they are all up in the cloud. How safe are they though and should we regularly back them up?

The other question I aske
... See more
It would be nice to have some guarantees from Google about what they may or may not do with all the info in the source segments that they receive.
I am impressed with WF Anywhere and have moved back from Trados. I work on different computers in different countrires so one major advantage is that there is no need to continually shift TMs and glossaries around - they are all up in the cloud. How safe are they though and should we regularly back them up?

The other question I asked was about desktop MT solutions which maintain 100% confidentiality of source segments. You can switch on Google Translate with just a tick but there are no such provisions for machine translation systems like Systran or Reverso. As I said, I am unable to seamlessly integrate Systran with WF and have to use the toolbar for each segment.
Collapse

Raquel Zyserman
Argentyna
angielski > hiszpański
+ ...
Useful information Oct 25, 2011

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Raquel Zyserman wrote:
I still haven´t got Wordfast Pro?

One more thing: you can install Wordfast Pro (http://wordfast.com/store_download.html) and use it in demo mode. The demo mode of WFP should be sufficient in order to create your translated web page (I assume the original document was an HTML), but you need the original HTML from which the TXML was created.

Thank you again for your help, Dominique. You are right, the original was a HTML file! I´ll download WFP and use the demo mode as you suggest.

Stron w wątku:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Anywhere

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »