Autor wątku: LUISA Fernandez-Sierra
LUISA Fernandez-Sierra
LUISA Fernandez-Sierra  Identity Verified
Hiszpania
Local time: 11:20
angielski > hiszpański
Apr 18, 2012

Hi I wonder if some one can help me
I am working with Word Office 2007 and WF classic latest version.
I am editing some segments already translated, and when I open these segments, the source segment appears as invisible text (i.e. it is underlined) , and I cannot copy it and paste it any part of it. New segments , unstraslated, in the same file appear OK.
Any one can help me on this?
But I might have done a chnages in the setting in PB, because I am learning....... See more
I am editing some segments already translated, and when I open these segments, the source segment appears as invisible text (i.e. it is underlined) , and I cannot copy it and paste it any part of it. New segments , unstraslated, in the same file appear OK.
Any one can help me on this?
But I might have done a chnages in the setting in PB, because I am learning....
Thanks for any help

Luisa
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:20
fiński > francuski
Source segments are hidden by design Apr 18, 2012

LUISA Fernandez-Sierra wrote:

In already segmented portions of your documents, source segments are hidden by design. If you are in a translation session, you can copy text from a hidden source segment using the Alt+F12 command: just select the portion of text you want to copy, hit Alt+F12 and it will be copied to the end of the target segment even if the selected text is hidden. But you need to be in a translation session (open one with Alt+Down) for that to work.

LUISA Fernandez-Sierra
Hiszpania
angielski > hiszpański
NOWY TEMAT
source segment Invisible BY design Apr 18, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:

In already segmented portions of your documents, source segments are hidden by design.

Thank you Dominique. Thats better than nothing. It seems to me a bit awkard and time consuming, if you have to copy a few symbols and equation or send it for queries in a email as I do. "BY design" Do you mean that it cannot be changed via the PB, for example?

Many thanks
Luisa

[Edited at 2012-04-18 16:05 GMT]

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:20
fiński > francuski
A workaround Apr 19, 2012

It seems to me a bit awkard and time consuming, if you have to copy a few symbols and equation or send it for queries in a email as I do.

Here is what you can do to copy hidden text from Word into another application:

1) Select the text you want to copy
2) Press Ctrl+spacebar
3) Press Ctrl+C (or Ctrl+Ins)
4) Press Ctrl+Z (or Alt+Backspace)
5) Press Ctrl+V (or Shift+Ins)

Ctrl+Spacebar is a Word function that resets all formatting
(see http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2009/03/use_control-space_to_clear_formatting_in_word/ )

3) copies to the clipboard.

4) brings the formatting back (= your text becomes hidden again)

5) copies from the clipboard to the desired place.

"BY design" Do you mean that it cannot be changed via the PB, for example?

No, it cannot be changed. In other words, it's not user-configurable. The segmentation scheme used by Wordfast Classic was developed by Trados in the 90's (this is why the delimiters have a style called tw4winMark, "tw" standing for "Trados Workbench"). Wordfast adopted it for compatibility reasons.

LUISA Fernandez-Sierra
Hiszpania
angielski > hiszpański
NOWY TEMAT
Thank you and source segments are now visible!! Apr 19, 2012

Thanks you Dominique
The workaround will be useful for other occasion. The clipboard did not do the trick with the hidden text for me
However, this morning, same file, same settings, different segments, the source segments, WHEN OPENED, are not tagged as invisible text, so I am happy again, but I am rather puzzled by yesterday glitch...
Looking back on it and after this morning, maybe I did not explained myself well and thats why Dominiques you talk about "by design": Ye
... See more
Thanks you Dominique
The workaround will be useful for other occasion. The clipboard did not do the trick with the hidden text for me
However, this morning, same file, same settings, different segments, the source segments, WHEN OPENED, are not tagged as invisible text, so I am happy again, but I am rather puzzled by yesterday glitch...
Looking back on it and after this morning, maybe I did not explained myself well and thats why Dominiques you talk about "by design": Yesterday the open source segment appeared as invisible text; today the Open source segmen appears as normal text. Obviously, when the segment is closed, source text appears as invisible text

Many thanks for you time in any case and for your blog: It is full of useful material!!
Luisa
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

HELP: Source segment in WF classic "invisible text"

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »