Stron w wątku:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >
WordFast kaput, and a warning to all
Autor wątku: Catherine Bolton
Yves Champollion
Yves Champollion  Identity Verified
angielski > francuski
I need to dispel misinformation May 27, 2012

Kate Chaffer wrote:

This is from the Wordfast Buying FAQs - http://www.wordfast.com/store_faqs.html#02

After purchasing, how long will I be able to use Wordfast?

A Wordfast license is valid as long as the "Install" number displayed by Wordfast does not change. This install number is based upon the physical characteristics of your computer. This Install number can change if you change computer, change or format hard disk (PC) or change OS or Word version (Mac). In this case, you will need to re-license Wordfast. This re-licensing is free for three years from the date of purchase. See the Wordfast User License Agreement for more information. Provided your install number doesn’t change, you may continue to use Wordfast indefinitely.

Reading this, it seems to me that the licence is valid for as long as I keep my computer. This appears to conflict with the new licence agreement.

Kate, don't get misled. Note the difference between the two parts of your remark. I trust you're rational and see the point.

A. "A Wordfast license is valid as long as the "Install" number displayed by Wordfast does not change. This install number is based upon the physical characteristics of your computer"

and

B. (a misunderstanding this thread is based upon): "it seems to me that the licence is valid for as long as I keep my computer."

In A. the allowance to work indefinitely depends on an unchanging system, upon which WF anchors an install number. In B. is a fantasy that goes "I can/want/must work as long as my computer is running".

If your system does not perform Windows updates (and other web-induced things), then your computer returns the same "install" number. Then fine, keep working, as the FAQ says. We at WF do not induce those changes. We're of course accused of the contrary, of "pulling the plug" at the worst possible time to hurt our own customers (Uh?) - I trust you're not buying that.

Despite the thread's mantra, there was no change in policy (neither "New License Agreement" as you post). Our EULA, the only legal agreement and policy setter, has not changed. FAQ edited because the current version now is strictly EULA, it does not offer the freebie extra run (of unpredictable duration because based on a system that can change, as clearly stated). To keep our pledge, earlier versions keep running happily on condition the computer doesn't undergo changes. Issues? Hotline is here, gets you going, even off-hours.

Cheers,
Yves

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
Francja
Local time: 09:21
francuski > niemiecki
+ ...
Dominique... May 28, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Laurent KRAULAND wrote:
I do use it... and am glad that it works with both Windows and Mac OS X.

Don't forget Linux and iOS!

Well yes, I forgot them - probably because I don't use them at the moment, but I have a project to turn my old XP computer into a Linux machine.

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
Wielka Brytania
Local time: 08:21
portugalski > angielski
+ ...
I'm confused: May 28, 2012

I thought you had to pay up after 3 years only if you wanted to upgrade.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:21
fiński > francuski
License linked to version vs. period May 28, 2012

Diana Coada wrote:
I thought you had to pay up after 3 years only if you wanted to upgrade.

This is what several other vendors are doing: you buy the license for a given version (eg. 2009, 4.0 or X), and if/when a new major version is released (eg. 2011, 5.0 or X2), you can either chose to pay for the right to use the new version or not to pay and continue to use the old version. Such vendors include SDL, Kilgray and Atril, and the versions I mentioned were for their respective products (Trados Studio, memoQ, Déjà Vu).

The Wordfast license doesn't work like that: it is linked to a period of time, not to a particular version. Do study carefully the license agreement (it's very short and easy to understand, probably because it wasn't written by a lawyer). Search for the words "three" and "year": they are all over the place. Once you have read every sentence that includes the above mentioned words, you should no longer be confused.

Diana Coada (X)
Wielka Brytania
portugalski > angielski
+ ...
Thank you, Dominique May 28, 2012

So after three years will I have no working software or will I have a demo version??

Dominique Pivard
fiński > francuski
After three years May 28, 2012

Diana Coada wrote:
So after three years will I have no working software or will I have a demo version??

After three years, both Wordfast Pro (any version) and Wordfast Classic (version 6) will revert to demo mode. Both will start warning you well in advance, so it won't come as a full surprise, even if you no longer remember what the license agreement said, or didn't read it at all in the first place (though you are supposed to when buying a new license).

Your own license will expire in October 2014, so you have plenty of time ahead. You may want to set an alarm in your smartphone, just in case.

Yves Champollion
Yves Champollion  Identity Verified
angielski > francuski
after three years will I have no working software? May 28, 2012

Diana Coada wrote:

After three years, Wordfast will default back to demo version, waiting for a license renewal. Confirmed. That's the EULA, unchanged since 2002, which is read before buying, which is included in the product delivery. The ? (About Wordfast) tab in the WF User Interface has that info too. The manual, website, login space, knowledge base, etc., they all repeat the information. Very moderate price, 3-year lease, renewed at 1/2 list price.

Now that the pressure seems to have come down, some history.

Wordfast's nasty behaviour is that it made exceptions in favour of users, such as, it kept running after three years for an unpredictable amount of time, from 5 minutes to eternity. The FAQ explained that, detailing the condition ("as long as...").

I admit that getting people hooked to that freebie wasn't smart. Privileges are nice things that turn nasty when they end - even with the best of hotlines. I can be faulted for being too lax.

My decision to end that unpredictable freebie extension came after a thread in the main Yahoo group. Some people insisted that WF had a flawed licensing model. Scenario: What if I'm cut off from the internet, suddenly WF needs "relicensing" (meaning, relicensing for free during the 3-year lease). How can I do that? Relicensing is done over the internet. No internet access, I'm stuck.

So the new scheme is:

Internet available: - Wordfast "knows" whether you're within the 3-year lease. If you are, then fine. If you aren't, WF turns to demo mode. One month prior to expiration, WF starts warning you.
No internet available: Wordfast runs unlimited. Now of course, if your system goes online for even a minute while WF is running, it "calls home" and checks license.

That scheme protects the rights of unconnected users but removes the "pay 3 years, use much longer" quirk.

Earlier versions of Wordfast not affected - the scheme starts with WF 6.03.

Cheers,
Yves

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Poster's request
Diana Coada (X)
Wielka Brytania
portugalski > angielski
+ ...
So what will happen May 28, 2012

to my Studio then - Classic 6.01 and Pro 3? Are these versions affected?

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Quoted post has been removed
Dominique Pivard
fiński > francuski
Behaviour of various versions May 28, 2012

Diana Coada wrote:
to my Studio then - Classic 6.01 and Pro 3? Are these versions affected?

Classic 6.01g won't issue a warning it's about to expire (you need 6.03t for that), but it will revert to demo mode after your license expires. As Yves said, you can downgrade to version 5.92, license it manually (requesting a license number for your install number) and it will continue to work on your computer as long as the install number remains unchanged.

Pro has always reverted to demo mode after the license expires, right from the first version introduced in early 2009, so there's nothing new with version 3.

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
Francja
Członek ProZ.com
od 2006

francuski > angielski
+ ...
Monthly cost, depreciation May 29, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:

For every month during which you run Wordfast past the expiry date, you "save" a whopping €4.85 (175/36).

That's very interesting to know the monthly cost, thanks for pointing that out Dominique! Much cheaper than my online invoicing, CRM system and email marketing software.

Have a great week!

John

PS - If you buy a license today, it's going to cost you €9.72 per month.

PSS - I guess we should be using the declining-balance method instead of straight-line depreciation.

Angel Llacuna
Angel Llacuna  Identity Verified
Hiszpania
angielski > hiszpański
just to confirm a point ... May 29, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:

After three years, both Wordfast Pro (any version) and Wordfast Classic (version 6) will revert to demo mode.

Even if the Install number has not changed ?

Dominique Pivard
fiński > francuski
Install numbers May 29, 2012

galone_es wrote:
Dominique Pivard wrote:
After three years, both Wordfast Pro (any version) and Wordfast Classic (version 6) will revert to demo mode.

Even if the Install number has not changed ?

Wordfast Pro: your license willl revert to demo mode on the day after the three-year period comes to an end, even if your install number is unchanged. Nothing new: it has worked like this right from the beginning.

Wordfast Classic 6.03t: there's no install number whatsoever, so your question is not relevant.

Diana Coada (X)
Wielka Brytania
portugalski > angielski
+ ...
I am sorry, but: May 30, 2012

The EULA says:

''free upgrades to new releases of the software for three years;''

The FAQ says:

''During the first three years after you buy a license, you can upgrade for free to any newer version of Wordfast. After these three years, you are allowed to buy a new license at a discounted price.''

Where does it say that I won't be left with a functioning version of the software??

Stron w wątku:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WordFast kaput, and a warning to all

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »