Wordfast for dummies
Autor wątku: Kim Metzger
PT Translati (X)
PT Translati (X)
USA
Local time: 02:35
japoński > angielski
So when can I expect to see some matches? Dec 19, 2010

Keeping my questions here as I'm still definitely a dummy lol.

1. Been using Wordfast for a few weeks now. Getting used to the software. My self-made TM is only 64kb so I know it's insignificant, but approx when can I start seeing some matches? I know it's supposed to only match segments (not words) but I'm seeing lots of words repeated with some partially same segments, and nothing at all. All 0's.

2. I have global auto propagation on. I know it's supposed to, "If yo
... See more
Keeping my questions here as I'm still definitely a dummy lol.

1. Been using Wordfast for a few weeks now. Getting used to the software. My self-made TM is only 64kb so I know it's insignificant, but approx when can I start seeing some matches? I know it's supposed to only match segments (not words) but I'm seeing lots of words repeated with some partially same segments, and nothing at all. All 0's.

2. I have global auto propagation on. I know it's supposed to, "If you have some repetitions, leveraging or changing one of them will change all the repeated segments". For this to occur, does the segment need to be 100% identical? Seems I have a lot of partial repeats in the source document and does not change anything.

Example (pretend this is in Japanese):
A. ...the production and development of semiconductors are continuing...
B. ...the production and development of cellular phones require higher investment...

Is it supposed to at least translate "...the production and development" into the target column?

PS: It's a good tool although segmentation requires you to tweak the final product quite a lot to make it sound natural. Perhaps moreso in Asian into ENG. Anyway, I wish they had a better Japanese instruction/screenshot samples and support

[Edited at 2010-12-19 22:08 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-12-19 22:10 GMT]

[Edited at 2010-12-19 22:12 GMT]
Collapse

Translation-Pro
Translation-Pro  Identity Verified
Niemcy
Local time: 11:35
angielski > niemiecki
+ ...
That depends... Dec 20, 2010

"Example (pretend this is in Japanese):
B. ...the production and development of cellular phones require higher investment...

Is it supposed to at least translate "...the production and development" into the target column?"

Hi PT Translation,

Try this:

Click on "Edit", then on "Preferences" and on "Translation Memory" (in the left column).
The defau
... See more
"Example (pretend this is in Japanese):

Is it supposed to at least translate "...the production and development" into the target column?"

Hi PT Translation,

Try this:

Click on "Edit", then on "Preferences" and on "Translation Memory" (in the left column).
The default (and recommended!) fuzzy match threshold is 75%. You probably don't have a 75% match yet.
Change the fuzzy match threshold to 40, then click on "Apply" and "OK".
Now click on the arrow with the question mark (translate until no match).
Collapse

PT Translati (X)
PT Translati (X)
USA
japoński > angielski
Thank you Dec 20, 2010

Dear Translation-Pro,

I ended up with several partial results using your method! Thank you!

Nice to see the technology pay off!

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egipt
Local time: 12:35
angielski > arabski
TM Lookup Dec 20, 2010

Translation-Pro wrote:

The default (and recommended!) fuzzy match threshold is 75%. You probably don't have a 75% match yet.
Change the fuzzy match threshold to 40, then click on "Apply" and "OK".

Excellent!

Also...

TM Lookup in Wordfast Pro can help you make better use of translation units already stored in the TM. In Wordfast Pro, you can select a word or phrase from the source/target text and press Shift+Ctrl+T (or you can type the word/phrase in the TM Lookup textbox and click on "Find in Source" or "Find in Target" button; you can use quotes to search for the exact phrase.) to find a list of results appearing in the TM Lookup pane. You can select the result you like and press Ctrl+Alt+M to insert it into the target cell. Also, you can simply copy just a part of the result after double-clicking it.

Moreover, you can go to Edit > Preferences > Translation Memory and check the option: Perform TM Lookup automatically > OK. Now, every time you move to a segment, you will see all its words in the TM Lookup textbox which will be automatically searched. Of course, there are no "quotes" used, so this means: search for any word of this segment in the TM.

I hope this helps.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team
www.wordfast.com | www.wordfast.net

PT Translati (X)
PT Translati (X)
USA
japoński > angielski
re: TM Lookup Dec 21, 2010

Hi Yasmin,

Knew about TM lookup but did not know you can set it to look up automatically! I was actually thinking how TM lookup is too time consuming having to look up each term.

Excellent!

Thank you!

David Hollywood
David Hollywood  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:35
hiszpański > angielski
+ ...
trad tools Dec 23, 2010

I have to say that I have grown up without the "modern" trad tools and I took some lessons on how to get au fait with the new (and genuinely useful) aids to translation (they help) but I agree that you need a lot of patience and get go to familiarize yourself with the "new fangled ways" ... I'm not particularly active in the translation business any more after years of work and so it seems to me that if you want to update and keep abreast of modern developments the translation tools are useful... See more
I have to say that I have grown up without the "modern" trad tools and I took some lessons on how to get au fait with the new (and genuinely useful) aids to translation (they help) but I agree that you need a lot of patience and get go to familiarize yourself with the "new fangled ways" ... I'm not particularly active in the translation business any more after years of work and so it seems to me that if you want to update and keep abreast of modern developments the translation tools are useful I will keep them in mind but won't lose any sleep about not having them ...Collapse

PT Translati (X)
PT Translati (X)
USA
japoński > angielski
Importing excel glossary Jan 11, 2011

Please bear with me as this is the first time trying to import an excel glossary. I've actually become quite used to the basics of wordfast, but seem to be having another "dummy problem" with this one.

I went to Import terminology>tab delimited>browse. But the excel file is not visible.

Notes:
1. The excel file has only two columns.
2. The excel file does not have any extra notes
3. The excel file only contains one sheet (I actually deleted all other
... See more
Please bear with me as this is the first time trying to import an excel glossary. I've actually become quite used to the basics of wordfast, but seem to be having another "dummy problem" with this one.

I went to Import terminology>tab delimited>browse. But the excel file is not visible.

Notes:
1. The excel file has only two columns.
2. The excel file does not have any extra notes
3. The excel file only contains one sheet (I actually deleted all other sheets and saved it again).
Collapse

Michael Davies
Michael Davies  Identity Verified
Dania
Członek ProZ.com
od 2009

duński > angielski
+ ...
Wordfast Anywhere Jan 11, 2011

If you want to benefit from already completed translations (not your own), you could try using the on-line CAT Wordfast Anywhere. As far as translation is concerned, this works in much the same way as Wordfast Classic but with the added benefit of having access to, and making use of, a huge publically available TM. When you have completed your translation(s), you can download the resulting TM (with the TU's from your own translation work) so that it is available to, and can be used by, Wordfast ... See more
If you want to benefit from already completed translations (not your own), you could try using the on-line CAT Wordfast Anywhere. As far as translation is concerned, this works in much the same way as Wordfast Classic but with the added benefit of having access to, and making use of, a huge publically available TM. When you have completed your translation(s), you can download the resulting TM (with the TU's from your own translation work) so that it is available to, and can be used by, Wordfast Classic.

Wordfast Anywhere is, by the way, free of cost - no licence fees to pay (maybe Wf will introduce payment at a later date?) and, even though I have paid the licence fee for Wf Classic and Pro, I do most of my translation work using Wf Anywhere due to the considerable advantage to be gained from the available TM. Although many of the suggested TU's in the target text require some re-working in order to make them usable, I still find that it is much faster working this way than translating 'from scratch' every time due to the much reduced need for typing.

Once you have built up your TM's, you can contribute them to the publically available TM's so that others can enjoy the same benefits, which have been available to you.
Collapse

PT Translati (X)
PT Translati (X)
USA
japoński > angielski
Total dummy move.... Jan 11, 2011

Thank you Michael, but I already bought the license after trying the demo version until I got to my TM limit.

Just an update. I figured it out with help from WF hotline.

The reason I couldn't save the excel file as Text (Tab delimited) is that I simply didn't scroll down far enough to the Text (Tab delimited) choice.

Pretty slick, huh?

Anyway, although I still have a
... See more
Thank you Michael, but I already bought the license after trying the demo version until I got to my TM limit.

Just an update. I figured it out with help from WF hotline.

The reason I couldn't save the excel file as Text (Tab delimited) is that I simply didn't scroll down far enough to the Text (Tab delimited) choice.

Pretty slick, huh?

Anyway, although I still have a lot to learn, I'm enjoying the software more and more. I'm not sure if I want to depend on it for all documents, because segmentation can be a drawback. But it certainly helps with "clear cut" type documents or ones with many reps.

I'm sure there will be more dummy questions to come...thanks for reading.
Collapse

Yasmin Moslem
Egipt
angielski > arabski
VLTM (Clarification) Jan 12, 2011

Michael J.H. Davies wrote:

If you want to benefit from already completed translations (not your own), you could try using the on-line CAT Wordfast Anywhere. As far as translation is concerned, this works in much the same way as Wordfast Classic but with the added benefit of having access to, and making use of, a huge publicly available TM.

Dear Michael (and All),

If you mean the VLTM, Wordfast Classic also can benefit from the VLTM even if you do NOT have a WF Classic license. (I understand that you did not mean otherwise, but I just wanted to make it clear to everyone.)

For more information, please read this KB article:
http://www.wordfast.net/?kb=154-23

If you have any questions, please let me know.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team

PT Translati (X)
PT Translati (X)
USA
japoński > angielski
Hard to explain, but bear with me... Jan 18, 2011

I've been using Wordfast to do my "first, second run", then check/change/adjust everything in the translated file. This is especially the case in ppt documents, as I always do some final changes within the ppt.

My question is this...

How do I put the final product that I corrected back into WF so that my changes will be added/updated to my TM? How can I do this quickly, as in without having to go back to make each change in WF manually? Is this even possible? (I trans
... See more
I've been using Wordfast to do my "first, second run", then check/change/adjust everything in the translated file. This is especially the case in ppt documents, as I always do some final changes within the ppt.

My question is this...

How do I put the final product that I corrected back into WF so that my changes will be added/updated to my TM? How can I do this quickly, as in without having to go back to make each change in WF manually? Is this even possible? (I translate fromJPN into ENG, btw)

*Yes, I will be getting a second monitor so I can see the ppt and WF concurrently/conveniently, but I'd still like to be able to perform the above function.
Collapse

PT Translati (X)
PT Translati (X)
USA
japoński > angielski
How to ignore translation of numbers? Jan 18, 2011

**Sorry for all the questions today and thanks in advance**

Problem: "5%" translates to "5,700" (65%)

I tried all of the suggestions in this thread:
http://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/131582-placeables_in_wordfast_pro.html

...but WF is still translating numbers. I want it to ignore numbers altogether, bu
... See more
**Sorry for all the questions today and thanks in advance**

Problem: "5%" translates to "5,700" (65%)

I tried all of the suggestions in this thread:
http://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/131582-placeables_in_wordfast_pro.html

...but WF is still translating numbers. I want it to ignore numbers altogether, but still be able to use minimal TM matches (40%). The above thread is a bit old, I was wondering if anyone had any updates regarding this issue. If there is no solution, please kindly state so. This way I will know to just do it manually.
Collapse

French Foodie
French Foodie  Identity Verified
francuski > angielski
+ ...
no alignment possible? Feb 18, 2011

John Di Rico wrote:

The latest public version of PlusTools came out in 2009, long before Word 2011 for Mac. Probably needs to be updated to run on this configuration.

Cheers,

John Di Rico
Wordfast Trainer
www.wordfast.fr

I'm in the same situation (same config of Mac and same error message).
Does this mean alignment is not possible when using Wordfast on Mac???
TIA
Mara

PT Translati (X)
PT Translati (X)
USA
japoński > angielski
Super dummy question - editor font size Apr 3, 2011

WF Pro. Using a laptop for my main screen and I simply want to change the font size in my TMXL Editor Table. I'm not talking about the translated document or anything complicated, simply in the editor table.

I usually use larger screens at the office, so it's not an issue there. I checked Pref>view, but it's not there. Tried to look for it in the manual, it's either not there or I'm overlooking it. Tried searching here, but couldn't find anything.

Thanks in adva
... See more
WF Pro. Using a laptop for my main screen and I simply want to change the font size in my TMXL Editor Table. I'm not talking about the translated document or anything complicated, simply in the editor table.

I usually use larger screens at the office, so it's not an issue there. I checked Pref>view, but it's not there. Tried to look for it in the manual, it's either not there or I'm overlooking it. Tried searching here, but couldn't find anything.

Thanks in advance as always!

BTW, I just want to add...I started using WF in November. Both Wordfast Customer support (Yasmin) and proz volunteers have been a huge help so far.
Collapse

Yasmin Moslem
Egipt
angielski > arabski
Font Apr 4, 2011

PT Translation wrote:

You can raise the font size as follows:

Edit > Preferences > (Appearance >) Colors and Fonts > Translation > TXML Editor [Target] Font > Change

Select the font you like and save (OK > OK).

I hope this helps.

---
Best regards,
Yasmin Moslem

Wordfast Support Team

Stron w wątku:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast for dummies

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »